Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: .223 / 5.56 hollow points for SD use?

A few yrs ago we tried several different rounds in several ARs ...thinking along the lines of 'something good for home defense'..what we found was that soft point bullets were ok, but the best combo seemed to be M855 ammo thru a slow-twist barrel.
    We had an older 1-12" upper and it was terrible at stabilizing them heavier bullets. Alot of rounds "key holed" at 25 yds..and we figured they wd be interesting for defense, & maybe dump alot of energy and not be too bad for over-penetration .
    You might try some M193 rds or soft point .223s in a FAST barrel..then try them + the heavier bullets in a SLOW barrel to see if I'm fulla shyte. G'luck. IF it is a home defense situation I'd probably load mags w alternating M855s and M193 and comm'l soft points..to cover all bases..and use a SLOW upper. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    A few yrs ago we tried several different rounds in several ARs ...thinking along the lines of 'something good for home defense'..what we found was that soft point bullets were ok, but the best combo seemed to be M855 ammo thru a slow-twist barrel.
    We had an older 1-12" upper and it was terrible at stabilizing them heavier bullets. Alot of rounds "key holed" at 25 yds..and we figured they wd be interesting for defense, & maybe dump alot of energy and not be too bad for over-penetration .
    You might try some M193 rds or soft point .223s in a FAST barrel..then try them + the heavier bullets in a SLOW barrel to see if I'm fulla shyte. G'luck. IF it is a home defense situation I'd probably load mags w alternating M855s and M193 and comm'l soft points..to cover all bases..and use a SLOW upper. ;-)
    Making arrangements to purchase heavies on Monday to do some research my own self.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234