Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: handgun choice

(Tioga County)

Default handgun choice

hello I am new here but wanted to ask ya'll the question.

I have a s&w sw9ve and love it. I traded my brother in law for it. I want to get another handgun in 40 or 45. I have a very tight budget. I had a high point years ago and had no problems with it, (had to sell in my divorce) just thought it was heavy and bulky. just wondering if you can tell me of anything else in that price range that is worth a hoot.

thanks.

(York County)

Default Re: handgun choice

Quote Originally Posted by scottbird39 View Post
    hello I am new here but wanted to ask ya'll the question.

I have a s&w sw9ve and love it. I traded my brother in law for it. I want to get another handgun in 40 or 45. I have a very tight budget. I had a high point years ago and had no problems with it, (had to sell in my divorce) just thought it was heavy and bulky. just wondering if you can tell me of anything else in that price range that is worth a hoot.

thanks.
    Why do you want to get a .40 or .45? What is your purpose in adding it? That's what it's all about. Is it to be a concealed-carry gun? Home defense? You just want "MORE POWER" and to make bigger-easier-to-see holes in your paper at the range? Is the platform's tendency to have lower round-counts per magazine an issue? Etc.

I could say "If you want a .45 you should get a 1911 without question" and that would be basically meaningless since it really just means -I- like 1911's... If you tell us your purpose in acquiring this gun, we'll likely offer better advice.
    DGAF

How about an sw40ve ? Not expensive and your already familiar with the gun , OR Glock 22s 3rd gen come up used for sale at many sites for $299 !

(Tioga County)

I guess I should have been more complete with my question.

I carry the S&W in public, and was looking to carry on the farm for snakes and such.
    I do not want to spend a lot, as it is going to be on the farm and in a lot of stuff. something cheap but durable.
    as far as caliber goes, I am 6'2" tall and have big hands, anything smaller than the S&W would be to small for me.
    so I was thinking of my old bulky High Point 45, it fit me well.

(Montgomery County)

The 1911 in 45acp is my favorite handgun. I bought a brand new one, unfired Colt pre 70 series Gold Cup when I was 16. I wore that pistol out by time I was 21. I may pickup one of the new Colt Tactical Rail 1911s in 9mm. I am 65 now and am enjoying my 9mms more and more.

I also own several 40s but I prefer the 45 acp over the 40s. My two carry guns are a S&W Shorty Forty and a Glock 27. Just because of the size of the frames. KCJones does bring up a good point, "What is your end use for this new pistol going to be".

Do you have plans to reload? I think the 45 is more accurate then the 40. I do reload 45s but have not started reloading for 40s yet, although I do have several thousand empty 40 cases in storage. I understand reloading 40s can be a little more challenging then 45s.

Good Luck with your choice and please post your new toy.

(York County)

I carry the S&W in public, and was looking to carry on the farm for snakes and such.
    I do not want to spend a lot, as it is going to be on the farm and in a lot of stuff. something cheap but durable.
    as far as caliber goes, I am 6'2" tall and have big hands, anything smaller than the S&W would be to small for me.
    Don't honestly see a .45 being the right thing for 'round the farm anti-snake carry.' If you'd said self-defense and you wanted more stopping power, then I could see a .45 being a good choice.

As a big fellow with big hands myself, I feel your pain on that front. 'compact' guns just don't fit me well: e.g. my wife has a 9mm S&W shield and it just feels awkward when I shoot it.

Having said that, for around-the-property anti-varmint use, maybe consider just carrying a good cheap 12 gauge? Or any good cheap 9mm with 'shot shell' loaded. Heck, stick with the gun you've got and get some shot-shell and a spare magazine to load with it for 'farm' carry... Now -that- is the budget-conscious option!

Not trying to be argumentative here, but since you said 'budget constraint' consider not just the cost of the gun, but the cost implications of sticking with 9mm and not having to maintain stocks of different rounds for different guns...
    DGAF

(Centre County)

Why not a Taurus Judge for around the farm? Load up shotshells or .45's. Mid $400's new, probably less used. Just something else to consider
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

Smith and Wesson 64 or 10 or 15. 38specail revolvers. Shot loads for snakes. Lots of versatility for what you want. +p no problem. 64 stainless 10 blue 15 blue adjustable rear sight. All available as police trades in your price range. Check out surplus city guns for sale. Yes it's a ride but they get some good deals.

(Tioga County)

thank you all so far, I will think about each, kcjones has a good point ther about keeping the gun I have and using shot shell for it, I just do not want to get all the mud and crap on it from tractoring around the farm.

GunsWater I will check out the surplus city guns, thank you for that tip.

my budget is around the $200.00 mark, I am on disability, so income is limited.

have an sd9ve, carry everyday over any of my other guns, never failed, love it...

i think they also have the sd in 40 if it suits you
    Last edited by R.A.D.; March 27th, 2017 at 08:23 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast