Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Training on Western Side of PA

With the news about Three Rivers Tactical going down. What other options (classes of instruction) do we have around here that offers good firearms training. If I'm spending money, I'm going to be picky. Classes aren't cheap and I know this. But if I'm going to spend my hard earned money. I do have some preferences.

Looking for pistol and rifle (AR/AK) classes. One, two and even three day classes. Basic to advanced.

Prefer to work with instructors that remember where they came from. And don't think that mere mortals are not good enough to attend the classes they hold.

Prefer instructors who do not spend all day telling war stories and instead spend time instructing.

Prefer instructors that don't have big chips on their shoulders and act like they are just so much better than everyone else (I know... hard to find instructors like this today).

I know all classes are expensive but hate to see some that are totally out of mere mortals price ranges.

Would like to find classes that I leave feeling like I at least got something for what it cost me.

Willing to travel and I have, and I'm willing to pay to stay in hotels to attend classes. At least if it is going to be worth it. But I got my limits right now, and Wester PA is probably it. Say from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh.

I'm sure some of you have attended classes you weren't impressed with. Instructors who need attitude adjustments. Guy that didn't seem to know as much as you do, yet are intsructing classes. Save me the hassle (and anyone else reading this) and let us know now, who you recommend, and who you don't.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Elk County)

Default Re: Training on Western Side of PA

I got the training of a lifetime in 1972 from this institution:

Haven't forgotten much.

In direct response to your question, a websearch turned up the following; I have no personal experience with any of them, except for buying a couple guns from the owner of the last one from his gun shop:

https://wolfcreektraining.com/ Grove City

http://livewithconfidence.com/individuals-and-families/ Sewickley 58 Google reviews, five stars; the place teaches martial arts and firearms.

http://lethalweaponstraining.com/ McKean, just south of Erie and north of Edinboro. People run hot and cold about this place. The owner can be a dick, and he's a former Marine also, but still a dick at times. Individual instructors are either great, or suck.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I got the training of a lifetime in 1972 from this institution:

Noah
    Yep... been there. Done that. Semper Fi.

But you can never have to much training. I've taken a lot of classes over the years. But I'm always looking for a new class and new instructors. I know I can find them online. Was hoping for personal input on classes and instructors.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Was hoping for personal input on classes and instructors.
    The owner of LWT can be a dick.

Semper Fi,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Dave Spaulding with Handgun Combatives is teaching a class in New Kensington PA this August, 2017. I am thinking about this class, but not really sure that I want to spend two days on a range in the middle of August.

If you want to travel, their is TDI in Ohio - about 4 to 4 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh. I took the advanced Concealed Carry class there a few years ago - nice facility.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Beaver County)

You might try http://www.protectiveshootingconcepts.com/.

I have worked with them instructing NRA classes at our club, and have also taken classes (Protective Carbine 1 and a Battle Rifle lab). In the Carbine class they made a point of emphasizing up front that they were teaching practical application for civilians, as opposed to tactical. The Battle Rifle lab was a hell of a lot of fun, covering both KD applications and CQB, with an emphasis on terminal ballistics on various types of cover (building materials, automobiles, etc.)

Nota bene: If you ever need to take cover behind an automobile from .30 cal. rifle fire, either get behind the engine block and front wheel, or if that is already taken, make yourself REAL small and get behind the rear wheel. Anything else is just concealment.
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Dave Spaulding with Handgun Combatives is teaching a class in New Kensington PA this August, 2017. I am thinking about this class, but not really sure that I want to spend two days on a range in the middle of August.

If you want to travel, their is TDI in Ohio - about 4 to 4 1/2 hours west of Pittsburgh. I took the advanced Concealed Carry class there a few years ago - nice facility.
    I have also taken a couple of classes at TDI. Pistol and a great bolt rifle class. Excellent training. I have taken classes from eight different companies/organizations over the years and TDI has been the best. INPAX is in the Pittsburgh area but I have not taken any classes from them.

Has anyone heard that an indoor range is trying to open at McCandless Crossing behind Dick's Sporting Goods? This is in the 'North Hills' area pf Pittsburgh.

(Allegheny County)

I have taken a couple of classes with Klint Macro. My classes were NRA Instructor, Metallic Handloading, and CRSO. Klint is nice to work with. He teaches for several organizations so perhaps he would have something of interest for you.

http://www.triggerpressersunion.com/
    The Lord Bless You

(Butler County)

I have taken pistol 1 and 2 from Ridge Runner Renegades in Pittsburgh, seem like great guys, all currently police officers. They don't have much on their schedule to offer these days though. Has anyone tried Wolf Creek Training & Consulting north of Grove City PA?

(Washington County)

+1 for Protective Shooting Concepts (Jay Cunningham) and Klint Macro (Trigger Presser's Union). I have taken training from both of them and they were good experiences all around. Quality learning occurred.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast