Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Training on Western Side of PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Who is setting this up. I would be interested in.
    The guys name is Ray.
    skraut@ix.netcom.com
    Captain

(Allegheny County)

We have a few classes coming up at PMSC, right outside of Pittsburgh:

SUNDAY JULY 2,, 2017 - DEFENSIVE PISTOL – Pittsburgh, PA - $125
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/defensi...ts-34308892822

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 2, 2017 – DEFENSIVE CARBINE – Pittsburgh, PA - $125
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/defensi...ts-33924398790

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 3, 2017 – DEFENSIVE SHOTGUN – Pittsburgh, PA - $125
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/defensi...ts-33924552249

OnSight Firearms Training - www.onsightfirearmstraining.com

(Allegheny County)

How about the F.I.R.E. Institute?

I've taken classes there it was quality training.

http://fireinstitute.org/fire_course_schedule.htm
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    How about the F.I.R.E. Institute?

I've taken classes there it was quality training.

http://fireinstitute.org/fire_course_schedule.htm
    Its been quite a few years since I've taken a class due to a dominant eye penetration injury and a dominant hand crush incident resulting in a finger amputation.

Looking for a refresher and wanting to see if I can run a few hundred rounds, I signed up for Randy Cains 101.
    I have taken one of his classes before in conjunction with Steve Tarani and can't say enough about Randy Cain.
    If I can do this reasonably well, I might continue. Ha.
    John Farnam teaches a good class as well although I never took his carbine.
    I did take Peter Giorgiades' carbine, a tactics class by him and a few Giles Stock classes, both daylight, low light and an instructors course.
    I don't think Giles does Western Pa anymore
    That Cain class is upcoming in a few weeks and I see it's still open.
    The
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Its been quite a few years since I've taken a class due to a dominant eye penetration injury and a dominant hand crush incident resulting in a finger amputation.

Looking for a refresher and wanting to see if I can run a few hundred rounds, I signed up for Randy Cains 101.
    I have taken one of his classes before in conjunction with Steve Tarani and can't say enough about Randy Cain.
    If I can do this reasonably well, I might continue. Ha.
    John Farnam teaches a good class as well although I never took his carbine.
    I did take Peter Giorgiades' carbine, a tactics class by him and a few Giles Stock classes, both daylight, low light and an instructors course.
    I don't think Giles does Western Pa anymore
    That Cain class is upcoming in a few weeks and I see it's still open.
    The
    I trained quite a bit with Tarani, he's a friend but am unfamiliar with Cain. Interested to see some more info on him.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The owner of LWT can be a dick.

Semper Fi,

Noah
    Have you ever taken a class at LWT?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by OnSight Firearms Training View Post
    I trained quite a bit with Tarani, he's a friend but am unfamiliar with Cain. Interested to see some more info on him.
    Steve Tarani is also an excellent edged and contact weapons instructor. Anyone else checking this out would do well to attend one if available anywhere close.

Check out Randy's website at Cumberland Tactics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cumb...utf-8&oe=utf-8

One thing I don't see too often is instructor credentials. Who trained them, what schools were attended?
    Quite often you see a blurb about being LEO, ex LEO, ex military etc etc.
    I feel instructors should put it out there in more detail. Anyone looking to train with an instructor or organization should be able to review the instructor's bio's to give them a better idea of the qualifications and if those quals are what an individual is looking for in a training environment.
    Word of mouth helps but sometimes, with a limited amount of training, it's difficult to review a class or instructor aside from stating it was a great training session.

My .02
    Last edited by 27hand; May 15th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Steve Tarani is also an excellent edged and contact weapons instructor. Anyone else checking this out would do well to attend one if available anywhere close.

Check out Randy's website at Cumberland Tactics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cumb...utf-8&oe=utf-8

One thing I don't see too often is instructor credentials. Who trained them, what schools were attended?
    Quite often you see a blurb about being LEO, ex LEO, ex military etc etc.
    I feel instructors should put it out there in more detail. Anyone looking to train with an instructor or organization should be able to review the instructor's bio's to give them a better idea of the qualifications and if those quals are what an individual is looking for in a training environment.
    Word of mouth helps but sometimes, with a limited amount of training, it's difficult to review a class or instructor aside from stating it was a great training session.

My .02
    Agreed. I have come to find someone's "background" doesn't necessarily make then a good instructor. I have seen plenty of "former LE and MIL" guys who can't teach. If you were/are a LE instructor for your dept. or instructor in the Military ok, that's one thing, but your average patrol cop might not be the best instructor out there.

I think it really comes down to your own comprehension of the material and your ability to preform the material and teach it to others in a manner that they can comprehend and preform as well. The ability to teach is most important.

If you look at someone like Chris Fry of MDTS Training for example, never was LE, never was MIL, just your average guy who decided to learn and teach and is considered one of the best in the business. Like myself, he does not teach "LE or MIL tactics". We both teach practical skills and techniques for the average everyday armed citizen. LE and MIL tactics are not always the best options for the average civilian in a self defense situation. Best to avoid conflict altogether, honestly.

I am weary of instructors who have stopped "training" or have stopped taking classes themselves. No matter how much you know, or think you know, there is always more to learn, and as these are all perishable skills, refresher courses are always recommended.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    With the news about Three Rivers Tactical going down. What other options (classes of instruction) do we have around here that offers good firearms training. If I'm spending money, I'm going to be picky. Classes aren't cheap and I know this. But if I'm going to spend my hard earned money. I do have some preferences.

Looking for pistol and rifle (AR/AK) classes. One, two and even three day classes. Basic to advanced.

Prefer to work with instructors that remember where they came from. And don't think that mere mortals are not good enough to attend the classes they hold.

Prefer instructors who do not spend all day telling war stories and instead spend time instructing.

Prefer instructors that don't have big chips on their shoulders and act like they are just so much better than everyone else (I know... hard to find instructors like this today).

I know all classes are expensive but hate to see some that are totally out of mere mortals price ranges.

Would like to find classes that I leave feeling like I at least got something for what it cost me.

Willing to travel and I have, and I'm willing to pay to stay in hotels to attend classes. At least if it is going to be worth it. But I got my limits right now, and Wester PA is probably it. Say from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh.

I'm sure some of you have attended classes you weren't impressed with. Instructors who need attitude adjustments. Guy that didn't seem to know as much as you do, yet are intsructing classes. Save me the hassle (and anyone else reading this) and let us know now, who you recommend, and who you don't.
    We are opening the Keystone Shooting Center in November, 2017. We aspire to be a world class facility and training will be an integral part of our product offering. We will have training from beginner to advanced and will also have women only classes. Our range has 24 lanes in 3 bays including one of the bays as a tactical range. We will also have an advanced simulation room with real firearms for training. You can follow us on Facebook at Keystone Shooting Center. Our website is Keystoneshootingcenter.com It should be back up tomorrow as we are making some changes. If you have any questions you can email me at Ty@Keystoneshootingcenter.com

Thanks...

Ty Eggemeyer

(Fayette County)

Former British SAS guy teaches some really great tactical courses in West Virgina.
    https://maxvelocitytactical.com/
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast