Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade 1911?

(York County)

Default Trade 1911?

So my brother has a 1911 .45

It sat in his room back at the parental house for years, but he's recently got/started shooting it again the last week or two.

He's griping that a) it 'hurts his hands' to shoot, b) he doesn't like the backstrap-safety, feels he has to grip it too hard, c) ain't thrilled with the cost of ammo, and d) having just got his LTCF would like something a bit more carryable.

Vis-a-vis item c) his financial situation is such that 'just buy something else' isn't an option. He'd need to sell the 1911 to fund buying something more in tune with his wants. It's a Kimber (I believe a Raptor) in great shape with probably <500 rounds through it, so not-nothing in value.

So, my advice having been asked, I'm asking the group: What's the thought on "spend some time, get used to it and get on with it" or "Yeah, sell it and get something a bit more in tune with what you want"... (e.g. likely a 9mm)
    DGAF

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trade 1911?

In my opinion the only guns we need to lose sleep over are ones that can't be replaced. Assuming it has no sentimental value, Kimber Raptors can easily be replaced.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    In my opinion the only guns we need to lose sleep over are ones that can't be replaced. Assuming it has no sentimental value, Kimber Raptors can easily be replaced.
    Good point I'll make to him.

In this case, it was in fact a gift. But I think neither my brother nor the giver (mom) has sentimental value in it.
    DGAF

I agree and see the points of the others above. "AMMO" is correct on .45 shell pricing. Have your brother go to Walmart. (A few if you live in a metro area). They are not as expensive as they were and Walmart's prices verses LGS and big box sporting goods stores can be worlds apart!
    9mm is much nicer to shoot and I think with the wide-world of available platforms with adjustable grip widths and extensions, he would easily find something to his liking if the 1911 grip & safety isn't his thing. However, he really should shoot it a few more times and try different factory loads and weights.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Northumberland County)

yeah 1911 platform is obsolete, its bulky and heavy and the ammo is awfully expensive to shoot, i sold my Charles Daly 1911 and my Ruger Mark III to buy my Blackheart AK, i prefer shoot AK its cheaper to shoot and more fun then .45 and .22 lr.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

For a range gun, there are good arguments either way. For a carry gun, hands-down, he should switch to a 9mm, with money left over for things like a good holster, a couple of extra mags, some personal defense and practice ammo, and a good class.

(Monroe County)

A carry gun is a very personal choice, but since you asked…

I say sell it and get something more comfortable to his carry likes and needs. If he is already complaining, it can easily turn to excuses. Like you said, there is no sentimental value in this firearm. I see no reason to hold onto a tool that is no longer needed. Sell it, purchase something more to your brother’s liking and hopefully you will have money left over to purchase accessories and ammo.

Not worth much, but just my $0.02

(Butler County)

Kimber's are not cheap to buy pistols. Selling/trading it he should be able to get a nice set up of something he likes.

(York County)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll share it with him. Seems to me the needle leans toward... swap it. But I'll give him the full rundown. (FWIW, I've tried to get him on here, but he's not a 'forums' type guy, he says)
    DGAF

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Seems to me the needle leans toward... swap it.
    It sure does.......Ill trade my Glock 19 for it right now!!

Seriously though, If you decide to sell/swap it be patient. Finding someone with the right deal, whether its cash or another gun, sometimes takes time. Enjoy what you already have in the meantime.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast