Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Insecure login flags appearing

Maybe this is no big deal but since I changed email login procedure to do so from my phone, I continually get an indicator box that the login to the site is insecure.

The following is the message I get when I try to find out what's going on with my site sign in.

Just wondering if this is any kind of a problem I should be concerned about.

I can't even figure out why I don't get instant email notifications so please don't give me any directions that are even remotely IT associated.

[Cut and pasted] Firefox will display a grey lock icon with a red strike-through in the address bar, when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

Starting in Firefox version 52, you will also see a warning message when you click inside the login box to enter a username or password.

pw.jpg

Note: When you start typing in your login information, the warning message can obscure the password entry box. You can press the Enter key after you type in your username (or click outside of the password area) to dismiss the warning.
    What can I do if a login page is insecure?

If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection.
    Not recommended: You can also continue to log in to the website even if the connection is insecure, but do so at your own risk. If you do go this route, try to use a unique password or a password that you don’t also use for other important sites.
    About insecure pages

Pages that need to transmit private information, such as credit cards, personal information and passwords, need to have a secure connection to help prevent attackers from stealing your information. (Tip: A secure connection will have "HTTPS" in the address bar, along with a green lock icon.)

Pages that don’t transmit any private information can have an unencrypted connection (HTTP). It is not advised to enter private information, such as passwords, on a web page that shows HTTP in the address bar. The information you enter can be stolen over this insecure connection.
    Note for developers

For developers looking to learn more about this warning, please see this page. The page explains when and why Firefox shows this warning, and will also provide some details on how to fix the issue. For more information, see this blog post and this Site Compatibility document.]
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Insecure login flags appearing

It's a new feature annoyance in Firefox, here's how to disable it: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...ox#post3518966
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Mifflin County)

Wouldn't the better solution be to fix the problem, instead of suggestion users block the notification?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Wouldn't the better solution be to fix the problem, instead of suggestion users block the notification?
    That's up to Danp to actually convert the entire site to HTTPS, which in itself could cause all kinds of additional problems on a site that's so well established.

Regardless of that, the warning is a nuisance.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    . . . Regardless of that, the warning is a nuisance.
    ^^^ THIS.

It's like "An asteroid could hit the earth!" warnings. Sure, and someday probably.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    ^^^ THIS.

It's like "An asteroid could hit the earth!" warnings. Sure, and someday probably.

Noah
    Still waiting for that to be an alert to get on my cell phone.