Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel-Tec SU16

1 2.56%
  • PSA AR15

38 97.44%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec SU16 or AR15 for first firearm (on a budget)

The poll result speaks for itself.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    The poll result speaks for itself.

I didn't vote. I thought it was a trick question.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Alright. The information had been excellent guys. I really appreciate the input. Here's where I'm at right now. Likely not going to have the sum necessary for about 3 months so in the mean time i will continue to do research on what the best option for me is. With the budget in mind, buying/building separate receiver sets is appearing to be the best option. I have determined the look and feel that i would like the rifle to have. Even have a rough mock up which exists as an (no hate for this next part, please) airsoft gun. Attachment 95522 Functions as a great simulator for learning and honing my knowledge of the AR platform and its manual of arms. This specific replica accepts and is outfitted with actual grips, hand guards, and stocks so I do have those components ready to be moved over to the legitimate rifle when the time comes. I am wise enough to not put airsoft parts on real firearms. The components I want to transfer are real firearm components. All of the information I have received is exactly the reason I consulted forums before impulse-buying something like an SU16, which only appealed to me for (in Nutnfancy terms) second kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SCARshooter View Post
    Alright. The information had been excellent guys. I really appreciate the input. Here's where I'm at right now. Likely not going to have the sum necessary for about 3 months so in the mean time i will continue to do research on what the best option for me is. With the budget in mind, buying/building separate receiver sets is appearing to be the best option. I have determined the look and feel that i would like the rifle to have. Even have a rough mock up which exists as an (no hate for this next part, please) airsoft gun. Attachment 95522 Functions as a great simulator for learning and honing my knowledge of the AR platform and its manual of arms. This specific replica accepts and is outfitted with actual grips, hand guards, and stocks so I do have those components ready to be moved over to the legitimate rifle when the time comes. I am wise enough to not put airsoft parts on real firearms. The components I want to transfer are real firearm components. All of the information I have received is exactly the reason I consulted forums before impulse-buying something like an SU16, which only appealed to me for (in Nutnfancy terms) second kind of cool.
    i personally would reuse the scope and potentially sling. just don't expect the scope to hold zero after hundreds of rounds. the wife's stevens 62 has a daisy air rifle scope on it.
    however, if you went with recommended more affordable rifles, you could buy a thousand or so rounds of ammo and a SGL permit, unlimited time to sit on days off and play with your new rifle.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Allegheny County)

Here are a couple of my "build" threads.
    Not much showing the actual assembly, but there may be some stuff that is useful in my postings as well as the tips and help that others gave me along the way.
    I think the pistol thread may have a good Youtube video on how to build a lower with no special tools.

Basic 5.56 carbine build

9mm carbine build

5.56 pistol build

My stuff isn't anything fancy. I don't have the money to buy "top tier" rifles or parts and scraping up the money to buy a $50 part can sometimes be a challenge, but with time and patience I've been able to put together some carbines I'm happy with.
    In 2008 I never imagined I'd have this many AR15s. I never thought I'd WANT this many. LOL!

Good luck. Feel free to ask questions.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    what do we think prices will bottom out at?
    we should start some serious discussions about price -bottoms- for ammo and firearms... i personally like to *get the most for my buck.

*(although i remember what the reloading thread turned into.... so maybe we should avoid said topics)
    One dollar. And they will be sold at the dollar store.

i personally would reuse the scope and potentially sling. just don't expect the scope to hold zero after hundreds of rounds. the wife's stevens 62 has a daisy air rifle scope on it.
    however, if you went with recommended more affordable rifles, you could buy a thousand or so rounds of ammo and a SGL permit, unlimited time to sit on days off and play with your new rifle.
    That optic would never transfer to the real AR. Its a $30 optic that barely serves its purpose on a toy gun. It by no means is capable of withstanding the recoil from a .223 as it broke from recoil of a CO2 powered replica.

(Elk County)

what do we think prices will bottom out at?
    The price of any product will go only as low as the market bears during the time period when the last two manufacturers making that product do so. When there is only one manufacturer remaining, the price will likely increase. A lot.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    One dollar. And they will be sold at the dollar store.
    I would buy trunkfulls but not even ak47s are that cheap in africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCARshooter View Post
    That optic would never transfer to the real AR. Its a $30 optic that barely serves its purpose on a toy gun. It by no means is capable of withstanding the recoil from a .223 as it broke from recoil of a CO2 powered replica.
    Then one less item to transfer. Funny i thought our daisy glass was garbage. Works well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The price of any product will go only as low as the market bears during the time period when the last two manufacturers making that product do so. When there is only one manufacturer remaining, the price will likely increase. A lot.

Noah
    So, were at bottom?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Allegheny County)

Ha! I just got an email notice of a SALE on a .380ACP Hi-Point carbine. (WTF would anyone want a carbine in .380ACP for?)

SALE PRICE $300!

I've seen AR15s for as low as $379 recently!!!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast