Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel-Tec SU16

1 2.56%
  • PSA AR15

38 97.44%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec SU16 or AR15 for first firearm (on a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    not a colt . . .
    You post that as if it were a bad thing . . .

I had a Colt 6920 for several years, and picked up BNIB S&W a couple years after they were introduced to the market. Just as accurate, just as functional, and neither ever failed. I bought two more S&W M4 Clones just prior to the Newtown tragedy and more than paid for them with what I sold the 6920 for the March or April just after Newtown.

For that matter, I bought a used Bushmaster LEO-only marked carbine about three months before Newtown, a local LGS had like 20 of them, tradeins from nuke plant security teams. LOTS of missing anodizing on the high spots from constant carry. $430 OTD. That AR, a lowly finish-worn Bushmaster, is equally as reliable and accurate as the long-gone Colt, and the Smiths I kept. The Smith ARs made such a good impression that when I came across a guy selling a NIB Sport II last fall for a needed $500, I bought that one and put a magazine through it. I recently sold it to a friend for what I paid because I didn't NEED it, having three S&W M4 clones, the Bushy, and a self-assembled 10.5" SBR. I would hold the Smith ARs up against any mid-range / upper mid-range AR, and way above Olympic/DPMS/Diamondback offerings in fit and finish, if not functionality. Certainly the equivalent of Colt, FN, Stag, LMT, Palmetto. IMO.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You post that as if it were a bad thing . . .

I had a Colt 6920 for several years, and picked up BNIB S&W a couple years after they were introduced to the market. Just as accurate, just as functional, and neither ever failed. I bought two more S&W M4 Clones just prior to the Newtown tragedy and more than paid for them with what I sold the 6920 for the March or April just after Newtown.

For that matter, I bought a used Bushmaster LEO-only marked carbine about three months before Newtown, a local LGS had like 20 of them, tradeins from nuke plant security teams. LOTS of missing anodizing on the high spots from constant carry. $430 OTD. That AR, a lowly finish-worn Bushmaster, is equally as reliable and accurate as the long-gone Colt, and the Smiths I kept. The Smith ARs made such a good impression that when I came across a guy selling a NIB Sport II last fall for a needed $500, I bought that one and put a magazine through it. I recently sold it to a friend for what I paid because I didn't NEED it, having three S&W M4 clones, the Bushy, and a self-assembled 10.5" SBR. I would hold the Smith ARs up against any mid-range / upper mid-range AR, and way above Olympic/DPMS/Diamondback offerings in fit and finish, if not functionality. Certainly the equivalent of Colt, FN, Stag, LMT, Palmetto. IMO.

Noah
    thats what i like to hear and why it's so friggin' hard to pick an AR. i was on the verge of building one, a self imposed layaway. too confusing, too many parts available.
    doing the sport II would get one in my own hands sooner, sure OP would reap benefits as well.

but i'm mocking the "it's not a colt" crowd. as posted, you can tell i'm a cheapass... my daily carry is KT p-11, kicks like mule.
    Edit: i have a keltec handgun, good gun. it works, not the best but it does what it needs, reliable, aluminum frame in polymer body.
    Edit: shame they aren't coming back from overseas as retired weapons... love some dirt cheap worn out models to TLC into use. (damn NFA/hughes)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    Really? I havent seen AR's below 800 bucks except Smith and wesson sporters, even AK47s are still priced high, Looks like Trump cant get anything passed or done, his executive orders are useless as the paper its written on and the dems are doing everything they can to stop Trump , even getting some republicans on board against him, til Trump can flex his muscles, the AR/AK prices are gonna be high til then.

You haven't been paying attention. At ALL.

They are practically giving away AR15s. Vendors have so much overstock they don't know what to do with them.
    Everyone expected a different outcome for the election and bought inventory with plans of super-double-quadrupling their profits when the rush to buy guns started.
    Trump's election put a real damper on that plan. Every week we see prices lower than ever.
    (AK47 prices are high for reasons that have nothing to do with Trump)

There has never been a better time to buy an AR15 - or build one.

As a matter of fact...

Now the prices he mentions are a bit dated, but the premise is sound.
    If you don't plan to keep your AR15 bone stock, you are wasting a lot of money by buying a complete rifle.

Those Colts and others that come with NO handguard, grip, or stock are an AWESOME idea.
    No sense paying for junk you are going to replace anyway.
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 25th, 2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

DEALS THREAD.

PAY ATTENTION!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    Really? I havent seen AR's below 800 bucks except Smith and wesson sporters, even AK47s are still priced high, Looks like Trump cant get anything passed or done, his executive orders are useless as the paper its written on and the dems are doing everything they can to stop Trump , even getting some republicans on board against him, til Trump can flex his muscles, the AR/AK prices are gonna be high til then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    DEALS THREAD. PAY ATTENTION!

Seriously, TXDMERC... No AR's under $800? Dafuq?

I just recently posted my LGS selling Windham AR's for $399 in said deals thread. Granted, that's probably a 75-90 minute drive for the OP, but Vs. $800 maybe worth it. Windham's are composite, but get pretty good reviews (very happy with mine). Many other AR deals pop there all the time.

PSA has AR's starting at $599, and 5 models under $800.

ClassicFirearms has an Anderson M4 available for $479 right now.

Sportmansguide has Delton's available for $549, and you can find them cheaper if you dig around.

Not sure why you 'caveated' S&W Sportsters, but they're available in the $500's regularly, as mentioned, and are only $699 FULL retail at such "price leaders" as Cabela's...

Etc...
    DGAF

what do we think prices will bottom out at?
    we should start some serious discussions about price -bottoms- for ammo and firearms... i personally like to *get the most for my buck.

*(although i remember what the reloading thread turned into.... so maybe we should avoid said topics)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Wyoming County)

Y'all best buy up dem Colts befores Colt's in bankruptcy, or sold off to another crap parent company .... so sad smh

*OP if you read this and haven't already blown your wad I also get asppendicitis

1. Find a local FFL that will do transfers. Verify their price for transfers. Here is one of a few places that you can find FFL's by zip code: http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

2. Find a AR that meets your needs online at your pricepoint. Ex: Here is a Ruger AR556 for $499 and free shipping: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ampaign=032417

3. Shop your local gun shops compare the price of what they have with what you found online. If they are a little over but within your amount of reason, I say give them the business, if not consider going the online route unless you are a negotiator. Me I'm a terrible negotiator so I avoid it.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

what do we think prices will bottom out at?
    we should start some serious discussions about price -bottoms- for ammo and firearms... i personally like to *get the most for my buck.

*(although i remember what the reloading thread turned into.... so maybe we should avoid said topics)
    I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth - just be happy they don't cost $3,000 for an Anderson like they did a few short years ago.

I don't really think they will get THAT much lower but who knows.
    I'm just so happy to see the average Joe being able to afford one.

Let's put this into perspective... a Hi-Point carbine runs damned close to $300.

Crazy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Y'all best buy up dem Colts befores Colt's in bankruptcy, or sold off to another crap parent company .... so sad smh

*OP if you read this and haven't already blown your wad I also get asppendicitis

1. Find a local FFL that will do transfers. Verify their price for transfers. Here is one of a few places that you can find FFL's by zip code: http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

2. Find a AR that meets your needs online at your pricepoint. Ex: Here is a Ruger AR556 for $499 and free shipping: https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...ampaign=032417

3. Shop your local gun shops compare the price of what they have with what you found online. If they are a little over but within your amount of reason, I say give them the business, if not consider going the online route unless you are a negotiator. Me I'm a terrible negotiator so I avoid it.
    Helluva deal on that Ruger, and six more 'similar items in stock' good ones on that same page (all under $800... ahem!). Gonna be adding that vendor to my 'list'. Thanks!
    DGAF

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Helluva deal on that Ruger, and six more 'similar items in stock' good ones on that same page (all under $800... ahem!). Gonna be adding that vendor to my 'list'. Thanks!
    You are welcome!

This is posted on their front page:
     Shipping Information:
    Due to a higher than usual order volume, orders may experience a delay in shipping. We apologize for any inconvenience. We are working to process and ship each order as quickly as possible.
    I've made a couple purchases from them about a year ago. Positive experience.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast