View Poll Results: Which to buy

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kel-Tec SU16

1 2.56%
  • PSA AR15

38 97.44%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Kel-Tec SU16 or AR15 for first firearm (on a budget)

Hello All,
    I am a new member here and looking for some insight. I have been shooting for a while but am making my first venture into firearm ownership within the next several months. With a budget of only $800, options have proven minimal. Semi-Automatic centerfire rifles are the most appealing to me and I am fully prepared for the maintenance and cleaning regimen they necessitate. I have narrowed down my choices to a Kel-Tec SU-16 or an AR15 from Palmetto State Armory. My issue is that I have read favorable reviews on both platforms and while the SU16 is most definitely no AR, it has an advantage when it comes to weight and uniqueness. I find myself unable to decide between the two. The online purchasing process is also somewhat of a gray area for me. If someone could talk me through that process, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
    -SCARshooter

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec SU16 or AR15 for first firearm (on a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by SCARshooter View Post
    Hello All,
    I am a new member here and looking for some insight. I have been shooting for a while but am making my first venture into firearm ownership within the next several months. With a budget of only $800, options have proven minimal. Semi-Automatic centerfire rifles are the most appealing to me and I am fully prepared for the maintenance and cleaning regimen they necessitate. I have narrowed down my choices to a Kel-Tec SU-16 or an AR15 from Palmetto State Armory. My issue is that I have read favorable reviews on both platforms and while the SU16 is most definitely no AR, it has an advantage when it comes to weight and uniqueness. I find myself unable to decide between the two. The online purchasing process is also somewhat of a gray area for me. If someone could talk me through that process, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.
    -SCARshooter
    $800 has given you "minimum" options? Your local gunshops must suck.

To buy a gun online you order it on the website, just like anything else. Then they must ship the gun to an FFL holder (federal firearm license, IE a gun shop) you then go to the gunshop and do standard background check paperwork like you would if you were buying a gun there and pay them for the trouble (transfers can be $25-$50+ depending on the shop) The website you buy from must have the shop's FFL on file before they will send them a gun, and not all shops will accept transfers, so contact the shop you intend to use first and ask.

(Beaver County)

AR15. My wife and I have 2 of them. I haven't really heard anything bad about the SU16 but you have sooooooo many options with an AR15. I started with a rifle length quad rail over a carbine length barrel on my first rifle build, used an A2 fixed front sight and mid length gas system on my second build which my wife claimed. My most recent build is a fully ambidextrous rifle built on a Rainier Arms lower. I guess it's tough to figure out what kind of features you want and which you don't care about when you don't own any rifles yet but you'll have way more flexibility with an AR than the Keltec if you decide you want to change something.

This is my wife's rifle. She wanted the red dot and a vertical grip after she saw John Wick.

My AR15

(Allegheny County)

You walked into one of the best times in history to buy an AR15. Prices have never been lower and may even go lower yet.
    You can get a lot for $800 right now.

Forget about the Kel-Tec. That novelty gun will still be around later if you still want one.
    If you're concerned with weight, get an AR15 with a pencil barrel. The barrel is what makes up the bulk of it's weight and the difference between a rifle with a pencil barrel and any of the other barrel profiles is easily noticed even with all other things being equal on the rifle.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The only reason I was looking at the SU16 was the novelty of having a .223 rifle that could fold in half and was incredibly light. But from a "bang for your buck" standpoint i suppose it isnt the best option, then? So that leaves me with the AR Platform. Most of the rifles which my LGS's stock are outside of my price range, and the budget friendly ones the do stock are brands such as Delton and Diamondback which several people I trust have suggested i avoid. My budget also includes magazines and any accessories which i may want to add which has further limited my budget. I have noticed the Anderson AM15 ORC as being low in price point and grossly negative reviews, and it seems like a viable option though very basic. It seems i will go with that, taking this threads input into consideration. Thank you for said insight.

Emptymag is spot on. AR prices are down and the market has exploded in recent years. If you break yiour AR or experience an issue just about every LGS carries parts. The aftermarket options are endless. If you tire of the AR, or want to upgrade, selling it will not be a challenge.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You walked into one of the best times in history to buy an AR15. Prices have never been lower and may even go lower yet.
    You can get a lot for $800 right now.

Forget about the Kel-Tec. That novelty gun will still be around later if you still want one.
    If you're concerned with weight, get an AR15 with a pencil barrel. The barrel is what makes up the bulk of it's weight and the difference between a rifle with a pencil barrel and any of the other barrel profiles is easily noticed even with all other things being equal on the rifle.
    EM nails it.

You're basically here in the U.S. asking whether to buy a Ford or a Citroen.

One is cheap, reliable, has bajillions of parts available, service everywhere and countless options to customize.

The other is obscure, unreliable, and hard to find anything for, even if it has a bit of 'cool factor' going for it.

I just bought a brand-new Windham AR for $399 out the door... Lubed it up and took it to the range today and ran >100 rounds through it with utter reliability and good accuracy. Threw a $30 cheap red-dot on it and was hitting bullseyes with <1.5" groupoings at 25 yards out of the box. At 50 yards, took a little sighting in to achieve the same (didn't and wouldn't use a red-dot at 100 yards+). Ran out of time to sight-in the scope I got for it for longer-range shots.

Point is completely reliable, very accurate, factory-made with warranty AR for $400.

I expect we'll soon see $300 factory-made AR's available. For $800, the "The world should be your oyster"...

Without question the sensible choice is AR.
    Last edited by KCJones; March 25th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

The only reason I was looking at the SU16 was the novelty of having a .223 rifle that could fold in half and was incredibly light. But from a "bang for your buck" standpoint i suppose it isnt the best option, then? So that leaves me with the AR Platform. Most of the rifles which my LGS's stock are outside of my price range, and the budget friendly ones the do stock are brands such as Delton and Diamondback which several people I trust have suggested i avoid. My budget also includes magazines and any accessories which i may want to add which has further limited my budget. I have noticed the Anderson AM15 ORC as being low in price point and grossly negative reviews, and it seems like a viable option though very basic. It seems i will go with that, taking this threads input into consideration. Thank you for said insight.

I'm not sure how you can make a decision so quickly based on the little input you've received thus far.

There are quite a few "name brand" options in the $500-$600 range.
    Del-Ton isn't bad. Never heard of Diamondback.
    You should be OK with an Anderson too, but like I said, there are more than a few options out there.

Different ones have been popping up at super low sale prices. I would hang tight and do some more research.

(York County)

Gotta agree with EM: you seem to suffering from a some premature ejacu-spending here a bit. Take more time, gather more info. I've heard little negative about DelTon or Anderson (the latter of which I own one and am very happy with). I don't know Diamondback well. Other well-regarded AR brands in your budget range include PSA, S&W, Sig. My brother has a Sig M400 AR that he's delighted with and has proved reliable and accurate, e.g. Those are available in various 'trims' but certainly can be had <$800.

You may want to reconsider your 'trust' in folks if they trash those.

It really seems like your LGS are terrible if $800 for a rifle (even including mags and such) seems to preclude your choices. I shop two LGS around here. One is a little high-priced, but would still offer you lots of factory-made options for an AR for under $800. The other would have literally enough <$800 choices to make your head swim: You should have TONS of choices at that budget.

Yes, if the 'accessories' you want include the gun and a couple mags, PLUS a good optic, rail system, case, ammo, light, laser, etc. then yes, $800 may be pushing it. In that case, I'd encourage you to focus on getting the 'core' gun good and worry about the accessories later. A gun + a couple mags gets you shooting.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Look around on slickguns.com

You can find current deals on all sorts of things.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast