Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of an AR

(Bucks County)

Default Value of an AR

A guy is offering me an AR in a trade but I have no idea what the market is on this rifle. This is the info he gave me:

LRB Lower
    LRB Flattop Upper
    Bravo Company Full Auto BCG
    Magpul STR Stock
    PSA Milspec Buffer Tube
    PSA MOE lower parts kit
    Monstrum Tactical 10" free float quad rail
    Clamp Style Lo Profile gas block
    UTG 6.4" Red/Green Dot Sight
    Compensator

180 rounds of ammo
    15 mags
    range bag

My question is, what is a fair price I could sell that package for if I decide not to keep it?

(York County)

Default Re: Value of an AR

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    A guy is offering me an AR in a trade but I have no idea what the market is on this rifle. This is the info he gave me:

LRB Lower
    LRB Flattop Upper
    Bravo Company Full Auto BCG
    Magpul STR Stock
    PSA Milspec Buffer Tube
    PSA MOE lower parts kit
    Monstrum Tactical 10" free float quad rail
    Clamp Style Lo Profile gas block
    UTG 6.4" Red/Green Dot Sight
    Compensator

180 rounds of ammo
    15 mags
    range bag

My question is, what is a fair price I could sell that package for if I decide not to keep it?
    Too many factors involved for me to even hazard a guess (though I'll point out that selling a rifle private-party and 'used' tends to diminish value).

Firstly, condition. Like new is one thing, used & abused is another, mis-stored is yet another... And much in-between. What do the rails & bolt & other 'wear' parts look like? How much has it been shot? If shot, was it properly lubed and cleaned? Is it dry & dirty, or covered in oily goo?

Also depends on build-quality. Given your parts list, I assume this was a 'built-up' rather than 'bought whole' gun. That means it's been assembled in a manner ranging from utterly professional to absolutely amateur...

The 'guts' of the gun are the lower and upper: My take is LRB is considered a 'lower end' brand price-wise, about 50/50 pro-con with some mixed reviews out there. Trouble with mags seems pretty regularly reported. Your LRB upper and lower retail for $85 each new, and I typically see them available for notably less (like $45).

The ammo's worth something between $0 and up depending on type (steel or brass, FMJ or other, load) and brand.

Ditto the mags. They're worth something between $0 or more depending on condition, brand and style (size, material, etc.)

Same for the range bag, though I doubt it's 'worth' anything unless it's a high-end name brand bag.

For perspective, I'll simply point out that brand-new AR's seem to continue dropping in price and currently start at around $400 for a 'basic' one and many options readily available for $6-700. I own an Anderson-based one I paid $600 for used (and wouldn't pay that today) and a Windham I bought for $399 new.
    Last edited by KCJones; March 24th, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
    DGAF

(Centre County)

Well, it looks like it's someone build because of all the different parts. The upper and lower go for a little over $100 each, the BCG is probably $170, Red/Green dot about $60 (these are new prices), Quad rail around $40. Probably has maybe $700 in it due to the mags and ammo (at todays new parts costs - he may have paid a lot more but that doesn't matter right now with the deflated prices) .

You probably won't get that much because AR sales and way down. You can get a brand spanking new Ruger AR556 for well under $500 at several places, and the S&W M&P 15's are about the same also.

What are you trading?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Wyoming County)

x2 to what KC & x-ring said.

For what it's worth here is my humble .02 as a slightly informed buyer, but not a AR15.com Expert by any means.

First- the market is flooded right now. The problem is that there are Big name factory guns available off of the shelf i.e. Ruger AR556 / S&W M&P15 sport2 for $500-600 on average, and there are other cheaper factory rifles like the Anderson, Deltons, Windhams in the $400 range. I'm just throwing ball park numbers. These guns all have manufacturer warranties.

There are some good parts there in that list, like the BCM BCG (New price on that from BCM is $169), That MagPul stock is probably $76 brand new.

The rest of the parts (and I don't see the barrel listed, which I think is the most important part) seem unimpressive to me. I don't know anything about the LRB brand (never heard of them) but imho most receivers aren't worth the mark up from what Anderson sells.

While I'm not a sight snob, I can't afford Trigicon, Aimpoint or other high-end optics, after owning a Sighmark(total junk) I wouldn't buy another optic in the same tier as it aka UTG.

I guess the bottom line is that if I were a private buyer I wouldn't give more than $200 for that rifle maybe another $150-200 for the ammo & mags depending on their manufacturer.

*ETA: I have 2 AR's with Quad rails (HATE THEM) so deductions for that rail
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; March 24th, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Thanks for all the responses. I kind of figured it was just an average home "built" gun but I didn't want to find out it was actually something special that I missed out on. Doesn't look like I will go through with the deal.

(Armstrong County)

I would say you could probably sell the package for $450-$500, on Armslist.

What are you trading for it?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

^^^ good advice. The problem with a custom build is that everyone would build it differently. A part that the buyer doesn't want is a liability. Also, the build quality is not known. A used rifle might be worth 2/3 of its original price. For a custom build, depending on how nice it is, it might be worth less than half of the build price.

A starting point would be 2/3 of the cost of the decent components (upper/lower, BCG, etc.), 1/2 price for accessories (range bag, mags if in good condition), nothing for things you don't want and will end up swapping out. If you don't want the cheap optic, ask him to take it off. Total it up, and take a further discount if the price is higher than off-the-shelf rifles.

It sucks to be a seller of a custom build, because they can never get their money back. It's just like custom car mods. Put a bunch of aftermarket parts on a car, and you'll get pennies on the dollar when you sell it.

You might want to consider buying it if you can get a good price - refer the seller to this thread. Reality can be a real slap in the face for the seller of a custom build.

(Lackawanna County)

That's a parts list I'd pass on. There's nothing there that screams quality or attention to detail. Probably put together on Black Friday or Christmas sales and is trying to make a buck.

(Allegheny County)

It's to the point now where you can practically trade a used Marlin 30-30 huntin' rifle for a near-new AR15 - even trade.

Maybe even have to give the guy with the Marlin a hundred fifty bucks cash on top of it if it's a JM stamped gun. LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It's to the point now where you can practically trade a used Marlin 30-30 huntin' rifle for a near-new AR15 - even trade.
    Ok the sick and twisted part of this, is that it's true. Both have around $400 in value.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast