Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration

(Mifflin County)

Default Registration

LONG AGO, from an immediate family member, I received a pistol that was old (1940's post-war, German), worn and inoperable - broken and would not work safely in any situation. As it was handed to me, I was told it did not work and I would be a fool to try to fire it, which was/is correct beyond question.
    To my knowledge this pistol had never been registered, but who knows? I'm not even sure the entire serial number is intact.
    This morning I looked at it and decided I could probably rework it/ machine it to a useful, safe, working pistol. It is a piece of junk and is so ugly, it looks cool.
    What must I know about its history to register the firearm? Does this non-functioning firearm qualify to be registered - can I register it now? Is there a special category of historical or heritage?
    Point is, I want to register it before it is functional or as it becomes functional. So how and when?

(York County)

Default Re: Registration

Quote Originally Posted by thread View Post
    LONG AGO, from an immediate family member, I received a pistol that was old (1940's post-war, German), worn and inoperable - broken and would not work safely in any situation. As it was handed to me, I was told it did not work and I would be a fool to try to fire it, which was/is correct beyond question.
    To my knowledge this pistol had never been registered, but who knows? I'm not even sure the entire serial number is intact.
    This morning I looked at it and decided I could probably rework it/ machine it to a useful, safe, working pistol. It is a piece of junk and is so ugly, it looks cool.
    What must I know about its history to register the firearm? Does this non-functioning firearm qualify to be registered - can I register it now? Is there a special category of historical or heritage?
    Point is, I want to register it before it is functional or as it becomes functional. So how and when?
    We have no 'registation' in PA.
    DGAF

(Susquehanna County)

As KC said there is NO registration in PA. But perhaps if you were to tell the board, the make and model of the pistol and maybe even provide a photo you could gain some advice on is it worth restoring, possible sources or repair parts, tips and tricks on how to make your restoration project a success.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    As KC said there is NO registration in PA. But perhaps if you were to tell the board, the make and model of the pistol and maybe even provide a photo you could gain some advice on is it worth restoring, possible sources or repair parts, tips and tricks on how to make your restoration project a success.
    There is no manufacturer listed anywhere on the revolver. Says "Made in Germany" on the barrel in small letters. It is fashioned after a short barrel Colt and there is a 'pot-metal' barrel jacket concealing a well-machined real barrel. The front sight is a 1/2" long, fatter pot metal cylinder with the sight vane on top. It was slid into place, then badly broached to the real barrel. The jacket, barrel and front sight rattle together, which includes the loose pin holding the barrel to the frame.
    The cylinder is modern but the frame & grips are old west style. Best of all, it is double action with a sprung firing pin and positive block. Someone repainted the gun black.
    I think it is post-WWII German gun made for export. They took their 1940's modern era tech already on their production floor and modified it to look like something marketable to a 1946 American consumer, who might balk at buying a German weapon. They made it an American caliber/cartridge and probably sold them through something like Sears.
    I have not torn it down and I might find maker marks on the interior but removing the home-made wooden grips and scanning the rest of the surfaces, there is no brand and no symbols, unless the paint has filled them.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by thread View Post
    There is no manufacturer listed anywhere on the revolver. Says "Made in Germany" on the barrel in small letters. It is fashioned after a short barrel Colt and there is a 'pot-metal' barrel jacket concealing a well-machined real barrel. The front sight is a 1/2" long, fatter pot metal cylinder with the sight vane on top. It was slid into place, then badly broached to the real barrel. The jacket, barrel and front sight rattle together, which includes the loose pin holding the barrel to the frame.
    The cylinder is modern but the frame & grips are old west style. Best of all, it is double action with a sprung firing pin and positive block. Someone repainted the gun black.
    I think it is post-WWII German gun made for export. They took their 1940's modern era tech already on their production floor and modified it to look like something marketable to a 1946 American consumer, who might balk at buying a German weapon. They made it an American caliber/cartridge and probably sold them through something like Sears.
    I have not torn it down and I might find maker marks on the interior but removing the home-made wooden grips and scanning the rest of the surfaces, there is no brand and no symbols, unless the paint has filled them.
    Sounds like a ROHM of some sort to me. If it is, I wouldn't put much $$$ into it. They're not worth very much even in great shape. A picture or two would help to be sure.

(Lehigh County)

When you took the grips off you stated there is no other marking? Look for a H Schmidt along the bottom part of the frame where the grip was? Look on the frame above the trigger and there should be some proof marks and maybe a date.

This sounds like any of a number of makers including Schmidt, Rohm, and others who made cheap copies of Colts. I have a Schmidt 22/22mag single action and it is actually a nice little gun. Most of these were no longer imported after the gun control act of 1968 put restrictions on imports.

As was stated above, these do not have a lot of value, but may make an interesting project. I believe Numrich has parts and you can find a diagram there as well. Look up Rohm or Herbert Schmidt.
    Last edited by gghbi; March 24th, 2017 at 03:35 PM.

Fix it, don't fix it. Either way I wouldn't concern myself with "registering" it.

(Tioga County)

ok there is no registration in pa, I would like to ask, what is registration?

I traded my brother in law for a sw9ve, I have a carry permit, but was told by a state police officer friend of mine, that if I did not transfer it to my name I could get into trouble carrying it.

I guess my question is, is this not registration?

Quote Originally Posted by scottbird39 View Post
    ok there is no registration in pa, I would like to ask, what is registration?

I traded my brother in law for a sw9ve, I have a carry permit, but was told by a state police officer friend of mine, that if I did not transfer it to my name I could get into trouble carrying it.

I guess my question is, is this not registration?
    PA has rules on transfers, just like the Feds prohibit private transfers of guns across state lines. You need an FFL to facilitate a private transfer of handguns within PA, or the transfer of any gun across state lines, with limited exceptions.

The physical transfer is separate from the record of the FFL's transfer. And where you somehow end up with a gun in PA without having transfered it, there's no separate obligation to get it "registered" via listing in the Record of Sale Database. Plenty of people acquire guns while living in other states, then make the wise decision to move here, bringing their guns with them, and they don't have to get them registered.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Tioga County)

GunLawyer001

thank you for that, I thought a transfer was registration. so there is a record at the place I transfer it, and I am ran to make sure I am lawfully allowed said weapon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast