Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Oakley Flak Jacket's for the outdoor range?

Anyone use Oakley Flak jacket 2.0 XL's for the range?

I mostly shoot paper, self healing targets, beer cans, etc... but since these are not ballistic rated I was curious if these would keep my eyes safe from any projectile that might kick back (in the event that any would).

I know there are less costly options like the Wiley's, but the Oakley's would serve me better and across various platforms such as mountain biking, hiking, skiing and driving.

Any experience and input with these glasses is much appreciated!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Oakley Flak Jacket's for the outdoor range?

I've got a nick in a pair of gas cans from a piece of brass hitting it. I wouldn't even want to know what would happen if something went wrong

(Bucks County)

I use Oakley bottle rockets at the outdoor range. I had a chunk of hot brass smack me in a lens on a pair of Oakley glasses once. I to this day say that I have eyesight in my right eye because of Oakley sunglasses. That is all I wear anymore.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Allegheny County)

From here: http://www.6mmbr.com/eyeprotection.html

There are six main factors to consider when purchasing shooting glasses:
    1. Shooting Eyewear Must be Made of Impact-Resistant Material.
    For now, that means you have a choice of Polycarbonate, Trivex™, or SR-91. Polycarbonate eyewear is relatively inexpensive and widely available from many manufacturers. Trivex is lighter than polycarbonate and has much better optical qualities. However, it is more expensive and is not widely sold by catalogers or big discount houses. SR-91 is a proprietary polarized lens material from Kaenon. It is even lighter than Trivex, has excellent impact performance and optical clarity. But because SR91 is currently available only in polarized form, it is not recommended for precision rifle shooters. It can be great for pistol and action shooters however.
    2. Shooting Eyewear Should Be Safety-Certified.
    Don't even consider spending a dime on shooting glasses that are not certified for impact protection. You only have one set of eyes. Certification is your best guarantee that your protective eyewear will really do its job. There are three impact standards popularly applied in the United States: ANSI, OSHA, and MIL-PRF-31013 (Military SPEC). We recommend ANSI Z87.1 at a minimum. Eyewear rated as Z87.1+ plus (high impact) is better. And eyewear that satisfies both ANSI Z87.1+ AND the military test is probably your best choice of all.
    3. Your Eyewear's Optical Quality Must Match the Accuracy Demands of Your Discipline.
    A cowboy action shooter aiming at large targets at 10 yards is perfectly well-served with inexpensive ANSI Z87.1-certified polycarbonate shooting glasses that cost under $10.00. On the other hand, a long-range benchrest shooter aiming through a $1,200 high-magnification scope should be using Trivex glasses with optically correct lenses, delivering minimal distortion and reduced chromatic aberration.
    To put it bluntly, if you have a $1200 scope sitting on a $3000 rifle don't try to set world records wearing blurry $3.99 Walmart specials.
    4. Shooting Eyewear Should Have Side-Protection.
    If you participate in any action shooting game, you absolutely need wrap-around glasses to guard against ricochets and splashback from targets. Bench shooters should also consider eyewear with side protection--remember the gun that blows up may not be your own, but the one on the bench next to you. Classic aviator-style glasses look good, but wrap-arounds are safer.

5. Tinted Lenses Can Be Helpful, But Avoid Extremes.
    Precision rifle shooters using high-magnification optics are usually best served with clear glasses, light gray, pale yellow, or a light rose/amber "blue-blocker" tint. In general you don't want a dark tint because this blocks too much of the light coming from the scope. However the blue wavelength filtration in quality brownish-rose glasses will sharpen the image and increase apparent contrast. We've generally found that the bright yellow and orange lenses favored by some shotgunners don't work well with scopes. Also, avoid polarized lenses (too much light loss) and mirrored lenses (can cause reflections and odd chromatic distortions).
    6. Shooting Eyewear Should Be Comfortable and Fit Securely.
    This may seem obvious, but we often see shooters with glasses that don't fit right, that bind at the bridge of the nose or temples, or don't stay in place. When you're competing, you don't want to drop points because your shooting glasses slipped.
    Toujours prêt

(Beaver County)

I wear Oakleys daily for prescription glasses. I also use them at the range. Check out their specs about their lenses. Exceeds both Mil Spec and Ansi testing for shatter proof and puncture resistance. Last I checked in the world of glasses they were one of few that exceeds both.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; March 23rd, 2017 at 04:28 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Do you know where to locate this info? I thought only their ballistic line exceeded mil spec?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by acdacd View Post
    Do you know where to locate this info? I thought only their ballistic line exceeded mil spec?
    Looks like the flak jacket xlj is ansi rated

Listed under details

http://www.oakley.com/en/mens/sungla...oryCode=m01015

Was also looking around the site and they have 2 styles of flack jacked listed under the Men's eyewear shooting section.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; March 24th, 2017 at 12:23 AM.

(Beaver County)

Just to make things worse Julbo amd Maui Jim sunglass companies also offer Ansi rated glasses for those who want to be stylish yet functional. I personally have a set of prescription Julbo Micropores sunglasses for when the Oakleys come off. I just love the leather side shields.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by acdacd View Post
    Anyone use Oakley Flak jacket 2.0 XL's for the range?

I mostly shoot paper, self healing targets, beer cans, etc... but since these are not ballistic rated I was curious if these would keep my eyes safe from any projectile that might kick back (in the event that any would).

I know there are less costly options like the Wiley's, but the Oakley's would serve me better and across various platforms such as mountain biking, hiking, skiing and driving.

Any experience and input with these glasses is much appreciated!
    I find the polarized driving lenses for my flak jackets work pretty damn well at the range. Not much tint and make colors pop.

(Bucks County)

ESS Crossbows meet ANSI Z87.1 and Milspec. The extra Suppressor frame fits under ear pro.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/740-0451.html