Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Taurus Service Ordeal

As part of the settlement Taurus is to replace your model firearm with a g2 variant of whatever caliber. There are a few appeals that must be settled before exchanges are made.

If Taurus is holding your gun, a new g2 will be shipped to your local ffl after such appeal.

Taurus is not shipping any parts, including mags, of the effected models.

(Bucks County)

Who pays the FFL. Has that been figured into the settlement?

(Delaware County)

I have a pair of Taurus 1911s. Generally no complaints.

First one I bought used, 4½ years old and plenty of holster wear. A couple thousand rounds later I had to replace the ejector, and at 5000 rounds (by me) I replaced the recoil spring. Otherwise very happy.

Second one I bought new, ran enough ball and JHP through it with different mags to be comfortable carrying it, and dedicated #1 to competition use.

Aftermarket front fiber optic installed on #1 before I bought it broke off (O.F.F. OFF!) a couple weeks ago, so carry gun got pressed into service as match gun for a couple weeks. I knew it shot a *hair* left, though within tolerance inside 20 yards, but I was hitting inches left at 5 yards. I thought I was just frustrated from the breakage and chalked it up to that until last week when I was all over the place on targets that I would normally score pretty well on. Nope.

The f#&^#&* set screw for the rear sight is gone. Not loose - GONE. It's holding on in the dovetail, but has almost ¼" L-R play. <sigh>
    ---
    I chatted with a Taurus rep last night who informed me the set screw was on backorder. (Seriously?)

OK, can you tell me what size it is and I will buy my own?

Sorry, that's proprietary information.

It's a *screw*. If it wouldn't freak people out I could go to Home Depot and play trial and error. I'm sure there are any number of web sites that have the info.

Well, I don't have that information to give out.

That's not the same thing. Ok, do you have an ETA on the backorder?

No ETA.

OK, then. FYI, it's an M3-0.5 cup point set screw. Have a good evening.

Ok. <Cheerful sign off>!

Cripes!

Quote Originally Posted by gold cup abuser View Post
    With litigation on that pistol, Taurus will not release it back to you. They don't want to get another suit. Sucks, but butt covering is what it is.

Wait it out a bit longer and when they return it, sell it and start over.
    Without monetary compensation, that is theft. no way in legal hell can you keep someones property
    without their consent. Someone correct me before I call them and threaten a lawsuit!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Who pays the FFL. Has that been figured into the settlement?

There is a provision in the lawsuit to have Taurus pay for the transfer. The limit of the lawsuit is $30 million. There was a time frame where one could opt to get a 200 dollar refund instead of replacement, but I believe the date of registering for such has past. Not as if those registering for such got their money yet. As I said, all appeals have to be exhausted and the litigation in the pipeline will not be added onto, because there was an expiration date for appeals as well.

Amusingly enough, and presumably coincidentally, I received a call from Taurus last Friday. They left a message saying they had new information to give me.

I got back in touch with them this morning. They gave me some spiel about the firearm having gone through secondary inspection and that it could not get fixed, that they would be replacing it.

They told me that the replacement would be a 140G2. Blech, but it wasn't like I was expecting a great gun from Taurus anyway. But here's the thing: the 140G2 is a .40S&W, whereas the gun I sent in was .45. I mentioned this to Taurus. Their response was that since I live in PRNY, they can only ship me guns with low-cap mags (10 or less), and this was the only gun in the group allocated for exchange that had a 10-round mag. I mentioned their 1911, they reiterated that the replacement had to come from a specified collection.

I thought about trying to get them to ship me something else (sans mag), but then I figured the hell with it. I've wanted a .40 for a while just for grins, and this gives me plenty of reason to go pick up an SR1911 that I've been wanting forever. Gotta do something with all that .45 ammo I've been buying with no gun to shoot it!

I'm certainly not happy with Taurus, and I certainly won't be buying any of their guns ever again (though that was already decided long before this ordeal), but I am happy to know that I'm finally getting something sent back to me.

(Indiana County)

Well OwnTheRide, I'm glad you are getting something, though it is bullshit that they won't get you a pistol of the correct caliber. I've owned four new Taurus pistols and one new revolver over the past decade, along with a few used. All the Taurus guns I bought new required at lest one trip back to the Taurus repair facility, even a Model 85 UltraLite had to go back because the crane retention screw blew out and they wouldn't ship me a replacement screw. Idiots had that revolver four months for a single mother blessed screw. Ugh.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER, GOA, SAF, PAFOA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12