Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Car carry in Ohio

I just read this article

Am I correct that Ohio still requires a license (from Ohio, or a state with recognized reciprocity by Ohio) to carry a firearm in a vehicle? Or may a person now 'carry' an 'unloaded' firearm in a vehicle in Ohio (or some such) without an Ohio (recognized) license?

I searched the forums and did not notice this being discussed elsewhere yet.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Car carry in Ohio

Yes, OH's law on vehicle carry is nearly the same as PA's in that respect for loaded firearms. ...You must have a permit/license and the firearm has to be in a container, glovebox or holstered. Before you have to openly display it even with a license or have it locked in a box.

I think there are still requirements on where you can be transporting the unloaded firearm to still on the books.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I think there are still requirements on where you can be transporting the unloaded firearm to still on the books.
    According to the article:

Unloaded weapons do not need to be transported in a car in a closed case or secured in a rack, as long as they are in plain sight. A loaded handgun can be transported in an unlocked glove compartment or console, or concealed on their person if secured in a holster.
    Does this only apply to license holders?
    ...Say that to my face.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    According to the article:

Does this only apply to license holders?

hmmm how to explain this..

Licensees have the option of loaded or unloaded car carry. If the gun is loaded it has to be on your person in a holster, or in a unlocked glovebox/console/mounted box(prior law required the box to be locked). If it is unloaded you can transport the gun the same way as loaded.

Nonlicensees have to openly carry the firearm, and that firearm has to be unloaded while in the vehicle. It must be where the firearm can be seen in plain view.

Prior to the new law, even those with licenses had to openly wear their loaded guns within a vehicle or have in a locked box. Unlicensed persons had to mount the unloaded firearm to a rack or in a locked box, or disassemble it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    hmmm how to explain this..

Licensees have the option of loaded or unloaded car carry. If the gun is loaded it has to be on your person in a holster, or in a unlocked glovebox/console/mounted box(prior law required the box to be locked). If it is unloaded you can transport the gun the same way as loaded.

Nonlicensees have to openly carry the firearm, and that firearm has to be unloaded while in the vehicle. It must be where the firearm can be seen in plain view.

Prior to the new law, even those with licenses had to openly wear their loaded guns within a vehicle or have in a locked box. Unlicensed persons had to mount the unloaded firearm to a rack or in a locked box, or disassemble it.

The unloaded firearm does not have to be in plain view in the vehicle. From the Concealed Carry Law pamphlet available on the Ohio AG website:

In addition to the concealed carry prohibitions detailed above, Ohio
    has strict laws concerning firearms in a vehicle. If you DO NOT have
    a concealed handgun license, you may not transport a loaded handgun
    in any manner where it is accessible to anyone inside the vehicle without
    leaving the vehicle. If you DO NOT have a license, you may not transport
    a firearm in a vehicle unless it is unloaded and carried in one of the
    following ways:
    • In a closed package, box or case;
    • In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder • made for that purpose;
    or
    • if it is a firearm at least twenty four inches in overall length and
    if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length in plain sight
    with the action open or the handgun stripped, or if the firearm
    is of a type in which the action will not stay open or cannot easily
    be stripped, in plain sight.
    Statutory Reference (s) R.C. 2923.16 (E) governs how licensees
    may transport loaded concealed handguns in motor vehicles.
    R.C. 2923.16 (B) – (C) governs how firearms must be otherwise
    transported in a vehicle
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...8_ccw_book.pdf

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    The unloaded firearm does not have to be in plain view in the vehicle. From the Concealed Carry Law pamphlet available on the Ohio AG website:

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...8_ccw_book.pdf
    That pamphlet is outdated as of today.

While you may still transport them locked up and/or in an inaccessible location. You can transport them now in plain sight without them being locked up. ....which really differs not from what I said prior. Who would want to transport one locked up over having it near one's self is beyond me.

(Beaver County)

Concealed Carry Law - This version of Ohio’s Concealed Carry Law booklet contains information about Ohio laws that will not go into effect until September 8, 2008. For a copy of the booklet summarizing the concealed handgun and self-defense laws currently in effect, follow this link (http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...t_20080327.pdf).
    The booklet is up to date. I took the post I quoted to mean you HAD to transport them in plain view. I didn't realize you were pointing out the option. As far as locked up or in plain view, i personally don't see much of a difference since they have to be unloaded and you can't have any ammo in the mags.

(Jefferson County)

ahhh okie dokies. I apologize for my lack of clarity in my earlier post.

I agree about the changes. While its a bit better than before, OH still has steps to go. They are relatively new to CC, given time they should get their laws straightened out in time.

(Beaver County)

I just wish they would start issuing non-resident permits. For now I'll have to stick with Utah.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    The booklet is up to date. I took the post I quoted to mean you HAD to transport them in plain view. I didn't realize you were pointing out the option. As far as locked up or in plain view, i personally don't see much of a difference since they have to be unloaded and you can't have any ammo in the mags.
    Let me see if I got this.

I only have a Pennsylvania license.

So... I dump the cartridges out of the chambers, close the cylinders, re-holster my revolvers OC, and make sure my speedloaders are empty and now I'm "legal" to drive across the Ohio border. *If* I get stopped by the police, I tell them I am carrying (unloaded firearms).

Am I correct that there is no law stating where my (loose) ammo must be?

At what point, in Ohio, may I legally load my firearms and speedloaders? While I am in my vehicle with the keys out of the ignition, or do I have to do this 'on the street'?

I Openly Carry my loaded firearms in Ohio, then, unload 'everything' and re-holster my revolvers (at some point) before I begin driving again.

I Drive back over the Pennsylvania border before I stop and load my firearms/speedloaders (yet) again.

Well, if the above is more or less correct, I guess it is better than what it (the law) was.
    Last edited by Bruce; September 9th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.
    ...Say that to my face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast