Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default USMC M45A1s on Gunbroker... who bought one?

Been plenty of chatter on these at the Colt forum, various 1911 forums, ARFCOM, etc. but if you haven't seen them, here's the link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/631368312

After much speculation, the final word from Colt is that they are indeed returns from the Marines due to Cerakoting that didn't hold up. Sounds like Colt is dumping inventory (and employees) trying to stay afloat.

They were around $1,500 to PA residents and are already showing back up on GB at higher prices. So, who bought one of the 712 sold?
    Last edited by thebearpack; March 21st, 2017 at 02:31 PM.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: USMC M45A1s on Gunbroker... who bought one?

If the Marines didn't want them, why would someone else buy them?

(Bucks County)

Has the look of a plastic toy with a finish worn through in places. For that kind of money, they should be refurbished.

(Allegheny County)

Just a thought: these sold for close to the same price as a new civilian version of the same gun but were confirmed by Colt to be Marine returns and will have a Colt letter stating that. There were 712 sold (in 2.5 days) and could be as many as 6,000 more based on numbers some Colt guys threw out. Even if true, that's only 7,000 of these documented Marine-return 1911s that will turn up the market. There were by comparison 55,000 Union Switch & Signal 1911s made and they bring $5,000+ all day long. Find a marine-documented USS and the price will be 50% higher.

My point? Yes there are better 1911s available for the money and yes the finish is ugly, but that's not what makes these interesting. There have been no other USGI-documented 1911s released to the public for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Even if true, that's only 7,000 of these documented Marine-return 1911s that will turn up the market. There were by comparison 55,000 Union Switch & Signal 1911s made and they bring $5,000+ all day long.

Wait what I have a US&S receiver with a different upper. Supposed to be some type of production thing where US&S were only making reciever's at the time. I need to do more research.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Wait what I have a US&S receiver with a different upper. Supposed to be some type of production thing where US&S were only making reciever's at the time. I need to do more research.

Unfortunately that's not true, sorry. Sounds like you have a mixmaster but that's not all bad because any USS parts (with original finish) have value. PM me if you want more info. Would be glad to help.

(Chester County)

For that kind of cash keep them. These are used returned firearms. How much do you think used Marine socks and under shorts go for?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    For that kind of cash keep them. These are used returned firearms. How much do you think used Marine socks and under shorts go for?
    With all due respect, I was expecting more informed responses than this.

It's extremely unusual (read: unheard of) for still-in-service weapons to be released to the general public. CMP made a big splash in the firearm world when they announced they might eventually be able to sell 70+ year old GI-used 1911s to the public, maybe. On top of that, it's a known fact that Marine-used firearms carry a premium with collectors, as do those with Navy provenance.

I collect GI 1911s and have quite a few. These are the first new 1911s to be officially issued to our troops since 1945 so it continues the lineage of issued 1911s that started 106 years ago. That's why I bought one.

I get that you don't see the value and that's obviously fine, but to equate them to socks is ridiculous. These weren't sold as shooters nor pristine examples yet they sold out in under three days and are already trading higher on the secondary market.

But I get it: you can buy three Glocks for that price.

(Lackawanna County)

If they didn't X out the usmc I may have done something irrational.

(Perry County)

Well, I'm now a Gunbroker Gold member. Hoping against hope that more will pop up. No other deals I'm particularly interested in for my $50 membership. Never underestimate the lunacy or deep pockets of Colt collectors. I imagine these will be very expensive guns in a few years.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast