Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Important: Heard on Scanner: Erroneous LTCF Revocation

I wish I got what zone it was in, but as I was working this afternoon, I heard some poor SOB get stopped by the police. Apparently the "automated system" told the cop that the guys LTCF was revoked (he WAS carrying). The cop radio'd county to confirm (they did), and then the cop said that he was going to "lock him up".

A short time later, the county radio'd:

"Looks like the revoked permit [sic] is only one of two - there is another out of [couldn't hear where] that was issued in 2015 and valid until 2020."

Wonder if that guy was already wearing municipal issued bracelets or not?

Moral: If the "automated system" says you aren't legal - and you know you are - tell them to check again!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Important: Heard on Scanner: Erroneous LTCF Revocation

I'm convinced there are many such instances in the system, but are rarely stumbled upon. I know of two similar incidents in my county within about two years of each other. I believe it mostly comes from Sheriff's "revoking" LTCFs for one administrative reason or another, when they really don't intend to deprive the holder of the LTCF with no idea of what consequences may occur somewhere down the road.

I had a LTCF "re-issued" to make sure I showed as valid after I was revoked and won my appeal. Fast forwards 5 years, when I intentionally took advantage of the "grace period" (sic), I was threatened with arrest because the system reflected the expiration of the original license rather than the re-issued one, which put me outside of the six-month window. Fortunately, despite Kathleen Kane's meddling, he accepted my UT license as making me legal and saving my ass from the pokey.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Important: Heard on Scanner: Erroneous LTCF Revocation

Damned ridiculous laws. A person with a clean record can easily be one who just was never caught, or talked his way out of prosecution somehow. Carrying with an expired license should not be viewed the same as never having had a license. Which is the reason for the "grace" period.

A piece of paper issued by Utah makes it all right. What nonsense. The criteria should be was the gun being used as an instrument of crime.