Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Lehigh County Government Center: Weapons policy ? Weapons check-in ?

I've searched, but did not find any thread already covering this.

I have a need to go to the Lehigh County Government Center located at 17 S 7th St, Allentown, PA 18101.
    Word-of-mouth is that they prohibit weapons there.
    Anyone know if they have a weapons check-in procedure ?

Thanks;
    --ET

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Lehigh County Government Center: Weapons policy ? Weapons check-in ?

They put in a small Sheriff's Office, basically a staffed closet, just to enact the weapons ban legally under state law because some of their workers in the civil offices there demanded it. Yes, they have a weapons check-in procedure. Notify the deputy just before the metal detectors (right inside the door) that you have a firearm to check in and they will take you through it. I've done it multiple times.

My personal recommendation would be to not carry with one in the chamber when checking in at PA facilities like this. Don't trust the deputy to be following all the safety rules when you check in your firearm there.

Default Re: Lehigh County Government Center: Weapons policy ? Weapons check-in ?

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    They put in a small Sheriff's Office, basically a staffed closet, just to enact the weapons ban legally under state law because some of their workers in the civil offices there demanded it. Yes, they have a weapons check-in procedure. Notify the deputy just before the metal detectors (right inside the door) that you have a firearm to check in and they will take you through it. I've done it multiple times.

My personal recommendation would be to not carry with one in the chamber when checking in at PA facilities like this. Don't trust the deputy to be following all the safety rules when you check in your firearm there.
    Any idea as to what basis they use to claim authority to prohibit? I'll be going with ett and will see if they have a court or detention facility, but from what I've heard they don't. I'll also be asking the question of guards, but frankly, don't expect that anyone is going to be able to answer it.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post

Any idea as to what basis they use to claim authority to prohibit? I'll be going with ett and will see if they have a court or detention facility, but from what I've heard they don't. I'll also be asking the question of guards, but frankly, don't expect that anyone is going to be able to answer it.
    Having a Sheriff's Office falls under the statutory definitions of "courthouse". Why they have the office is irrelevant, but - since they do - they need to have lockers.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the replies/info guys !
    --ET

(Juniata County)

I one argue that there is one Sheriff. They can only have one office.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Indiana County)

You may well argue that the sheriff can only have one office, but I do believe you'd lose.

"Court facility." The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge's chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.

Note in the definition it states "offices of..."

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    You may well argue that the sheriff can only have one office, but I do believe you'd lose.

"Court facility." The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge's chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.

Note in the definition it states "offices of..."
    I might lose, because of activist judges but the law is clear.

It says "The Sheriff" It also says "The District Attorney". Singular. There is one District Attorney. There is one Sheriff.

It does not say "The Sheriff & the deputies". It says The Sheriff.

It does say "Offices of the court clerks" (plural)
    It says parole officers (plural).
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post

It says "The Sheriff" It also says "The District Attorney". Singular. There is one District Attorney. There is one Sheriff.

I think "offices" trumps the rest. What it really says is "...offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers..."

Grammatically, "offices" applies to that entire list. So plural "Offices" of singular "The Sheriff" means he can have more than one. And as a practical matter, Sheriffs do frequently (legitimately) have more than one office in a county.

Mind you, in this case based on what's been stated, I think it's BS with an 'office' in this facility put there simply to invoke the technicality of it. But good luck proving that - I don't even think it has to be an activist judge to lose on that one.

Of course, IANAL... Or I'd charge you thousands of dollars to test it out and IMHO lose anyway.
    Last edited by KCJones; March 23rd, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post

The wording does not limit the District Attorney or Sheriff to only having one office. Furthermore, the terms 'District Attorney's Office' and 'Sheriffs Office' are the official titles for the entire agency as a whole. Typically, probation agencies use the title 'Probation Department' (or Board of Probation and Parole), hence referring to the Probation and Parole Officers separately and individually. There is also only a comma and not a semicolon in the sentence to which you refer, implying that they are closely-related ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast