Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default Help me Decide Vortex Viper HS LR, HS-T or PST maybe Nikon M-308

Here the Gun its going on Rem 700 1/10 Twist with 16.5" Barrel, the idea is a utility gun hunting, suppressed, stretch out to 600yrds, but I am an experienced long range shooter I could see showing up to a Fclass event with this. Gun will get action trued, and lapped, new stock, bolt fluted and knobed. I work up my own loads and will work this so accuracy is important to me. I have a older quality Nikon Monarch-think they are called the 5 now, and a Nightforce. So I am no stranger to good glass.

So help me decide everyones in love with the PST, but I don't feel like I need a lighted recital, but would like a FFP scope, seems like the HS-T has the same features just no lighted retical but no FFP options. The HS-LR does have the FFP option, and other then the capped wind-age adjustment not seeing much difference. Going with 4x16 because I may use this for game at 100 yards, but defiantly want a 30mm tube because of the adjustment range it will give me, not sure if I am going with a flat rail or a 20 rail yet. And finally the real qualifier I like to stay in the $400-$500 range which may get me used PST or sale on a HS, may push that number some for FFP scope. or Can get a Nikon M-308 new for $350. Let me hear it.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Help me Decide Vortex Viper HS LR, HS-T or PST maybe Nikon M-308

Optics planet has a 10% off discount now, and they offer pretty good pricing on vortex. I was just eyeballing up a PST 6-24 SFP for $650 shipped

Have you looked at the new primary arms scopes? You can actually snag up a 20+ power FFP scope, brand new, in your price range.

(Allegheny County)

Nikon now has a line of FFP scopes in your price range - prostaf 5 and monarch - I'd be interested in those. The vipers are pretty good but they have had a lot of qc issues however vortex warranty service is very good.

(Adams County)

Midway has the Viper HS LR SFP for $399 right now on sale. I do have to admit the $229 4x14 FFP Mil dot scope from primary arms has a lot of good chatter on he web, I just question its longevity with a 3yr warranty. I been hearing Vortex of late has been more hit and miss then old and not as quick with replacing things. Which is kinda what many of these companies seem to do get there name out there with good pricing and good customer service and then start rolling out Gen 2 scopes that are 1K, and the customer service falls off with the lower price stuff.

Could just throw on one of the $300 or $400 fixed 10x SWFA SS scopes and save up some cash for a more expensive FFP scope. A fixed 10 isn't so great for closer hunting but you get more quality for the buck with a fixed power scope vs variable.
    https://swfa.com/catalog/product/vie...5768/?___SID=U
    https://swfa.com/catalog/product/vie...3873/?___SID=U

SWFA also has some of their 3-15 tactical scopes on sale right now.
    https://swfa.com/catalog/product/vie...4921/?___SID=U
    https://swfa.com/catalog/product/vie...7116/?___SID=U

Kinda difficult to get a good quality variable power scope that tracks true within your budget.

(Adams County)

Fixed powers not for me, I not really liked most of the SWFA scopes I seen and shot. If I go much more past my budget though I just going to go Nightforce, which I am trying not to do, kinda get to that point where you just go well I at 700 its only a few hundred more from there. I am honestly thinking of going what the hell and buy the Primary Arms I kinda wanna put one threw the paces, some guys have had trouble with heavy bolt semi auto 308's though.

The 4-14 ACSS HUD from PA does have pretty good reviews. The eyebox gets touchy in the higher magnification range but it is to be expected at the price point.
    Last edited by dkf; March 28th, 2017 at 03:02 PM.