Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: GLOCK OR SPRINGFIELD XD

Why do none Glock owners concede that they are great guns while Glockers so anti anything else? The XD45 being a great gun does not take anything away from Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Why do none Glock owners concede that they are great guns while Glockers so anti anything else? The XD45 being a great gun does not take anything away from Glock.
    They're not. It's the people who constantly go on and on about how this or that is "as good or better" than a Glock, and post nothing to substanciate these claims. I own dozens of handguns. 1 of them is a Glock. I'm not "anti" anything else. I'm anti BS and hype. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I'm a total gun nut, i love all types of guns, i just don't trust my life to all of them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    I'm a total gun nut, i love all types of guns, i just don't trust my life to all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    They're not. It's the people who constantly go on and on about how this or that is "as good or better" than a Glock, and post nothing to substanciate these claims. I own dozens of handguns. 1 of them is a Glock. I'm not "anti" anything else. I'm anti BS and hype. Bill T.

I'm in the same boat as Marc.

If you hand me a gun and tell me to go shoot it, I'm not going to stick my nose in the air and push it away.

+1 on Bill's post.

(Philadelphia County)

Rent them both at a range and decide after you've handled them both.

I have a Glock 17 because of cheap mags and the fact that parts are available for it from a variety of online vendors. You could train a monkey to tear down a Glock and rebuild it with nothing more than a Leatherman tool.

I will admit however that the XD definately has the Glock beat with ergos. I'll never get used to Glock's crazy grip angle. I also like the metal mags rather than plastic-coated. I feel that the mag catch area on Glock mags is soft and will eventually wear away to the point that it won't hold them in reliably. It's just a feeling though, as I have never heard of this happening.

Don't listen to online opinions, just go out and shoot them both before you decide.

This is a little off topic, but I thought I would mention it. A lot of these type of handguns are sold with night sights, which are getting very popular on self defense handguns. Most all night sights are dated. The reason for this is the Tritium Gas they contain which makes the sights "glow" has a half life of around 10 years. This means that after 10 years the sights will only be half as bright. I have Trijicons on my Glock 21 and both the front and rear sights are dated. Some dealers will remove this date with Acetone if the sights are older. Keep this in mind when purchasing them, or when buying a used handgun with night sights. If the sights are say 5 years old, you can use this in negotiating the price down. Night sights can run upwards of $100.00+ to have installed. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    This is a little off topic, but I thought I would mention it. A lot of these type of handguns are sold with night sights, which are getting very popular on self defense handguns. Most all night sights are dated. The reason for this is the Tritium Gas they contain which makes the sights "glow" has a half life of around 10 years. This means that after 10 years the sights will only be half as bright. I have Trijicons on my Glock 21 and both the front and rear sights are dated. Some dealers will remove this date with Acetone if the sights are older. Keep this in mind when purchasing them, or when buying a used handgun with night sights. If the sights are say 5 years old, you can use this in negotiating the price down. Night sights can run upwards of $100.00+ to have installed. Bill T.
    If i bought a glock new i'd get it with the standard plastic sights and install brand new Big Dots. That way you get the sight you want for the pistol and they're new

I have owned both and definetly prefer the XD. The feel and balance of the XD to me is more natural. The Glock just feels like a block and does not point and shoot well for me. The XD is just as smooth out of the holsterbut with better balance. I also like the safety features of the XD.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    I feel that the mag catch area on Glock mags is soft and will eventually wear away to the point that it won't hold them in reliably.
    I've been around thousands of Glocks, and shot thousands of rounds through mine. I've never seen or heard of this problem.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    I've been around thousands of Glocks, and shot thousands of rounds through mine. I've never seen or heard of this problem.
    yeah, i've never seen that happen. you also have to consider that the bottom part of the mag catch gets all the pounding from repeated hard insertions and the top part is what holds the magazine from falling out. I'm looking at mags that have thousands of rounds through them that have no signs a fatigue.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast