Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Chamber - Barrel alignment

I have a handful of 1911's and recently got my hands on a laser bore sight that fits into the chamber. It certainly appears to be pointing quite a bit to the right. I checked the laser sight a couple of different ways to include: putting it into several different 1911's (each one had it pointing to the right, but in varying degrees); putting it into a groove and pointing it across the room while rolling it in the groove (the "dot" did not appreciably move); trying to insert it into the chamber with different orientations (still always pointed to the right).

I will get a different bore sight (a barrel based one such as the SiteLite Mag Laser Boresighter) to check those results, however, my questions - if the gun shoots straight (and I can be pretty accurate with it), is it common for the chamber to be slightly misaligned with the barrel? And if it is slightly misaligned, does that matter (should I be concerned or buy a new barrel)? I am concerned for two reasons - 1) I am not currently competing, but thinking about it and now worry that my accuracy may be the result of compensating for actually pointing at the wrong spot (!); and, 2) Will this cause undue wear on the weapon?

Thoughts appreciated!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Chamber - Barrel alignment

Don't know of anyone that bore sights a pistol. Typically bore sighting (rifles) is only for getting you on paper. The fine tuning (POA =POI) is done manually.
    Last edited by Hawk; March 15th, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lehigh County)

Not sure how you are getting it into the chamber. Are you feeding it out of a magazine like a dummy so that it is properly under the extractor? Are you dropping the slide on it? If you draw a visual picture the extractor will be applying pressure on the right side that may be canting the laser back on that side, thus pointing right.

If you are shooting OK, I would ignore this test. If you are compensating or the test is bad does not matter, the results do.

(Berks County)

Remove your extractor and I bet it centers. Mostly tho relax. Shooting is the real proof of things.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Remove your extractor and I bet it centers. Mostly tho relax. Shooting is the real proof of things.

the only correct way to confirm any run out on your chamber would be to get a range rod and center the barrel in a lathe, run a dial indicator and check run-out on range rod and inside of chamber. It's most likely either your extractor or the Lazer​ itself is not centered, I am betting on the extractor

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Not sure how you are getting it into the chamber. Are you feeding it out of a magazine like a dummy...
    Ghee, that doesn't seem very polite. I mean....unless you know the guy. Just seems downright mean. Or......maybe it's how I read it?

(Delaware County)

Appreciate the input! It won't feed from a magazine and does not have a rim for the extractor. I bet you guys are right and it is pressure from the extractor... i will try it with the laser in the chamber and the slide locked back to see if there is a difference.

I understand that only the results matter, but now it's a function of curiosity...

(Delaware County)

Another test: with the slide locked back, it points high and slightly to the right; put it into battery (close the slide) and it points low and further to the right. Conclusion: stop worrying about it, the device is a bad design and it doesn't matter!!!

Unless, of course, someone has a reason why i should care???

(Delaware County)

Last edited by USNA85; March 15th, 2017 at 07:07 PM.

(Berks County)

The back of barrel tilts down when the slide is back for unlocking so it will point high like that in relation to sights. Good conclusion. Laserlyte makes a really good laser for practice. It drops in from the front.