Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sear spring

(Cumberland County)

Default sear spring

I know I can't tell until I take this mini 1911 apart - but if the grip safety does not work ( no tension, just always engaged ) what would the most likely problem be - broken/damaged sear spring ?

(Berks County)

Default Re: sear spring

You mean its always on? Or it's always off? It may have slipped beside the finger of the spring. Drop the main spring housing out and look.

(Chester County)

That's odd...My first thought is in line with yours Cruzans. The sear spring leaf that extends outwards towards the grip safety may be the issue.

1) The grip safety leaf could have a burr that is hooked on the sear leaf and stuck. OR
    2) The spring is broken, dislodged, somehow not functioning
    3) There could be a burr or some interference on the grip safety itself interfering with the frame. However, if you know this gun was working before, this is unlikely.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks guys. Yes, safety is always off. The grip safety won't "bounce back". I'll be taking it down this weekend to check it out. I see Numerich has sear springs and pins if I need either - sear is actually out of stock so hopefully it's not that. I'll post what I find this weekend in case anyone else runs across the same issue

(Cumberland County)

Took it apart today and it's the sear spring. One "prong" is broken right off. Just ordered from Numerich. Hopefully, that is the only problem and I put it back in correctly

(Berks County)

Thats weird. I guess the temper was off.

(Cumberland County)

So bummed, thought I was going to add another "gunsmithing" job to my resume. Got the new sear spring, installed it, put everything back together, grip safety has nice tension now - high fiving myself ( might have that on security camera ) but then I tested it, and the hammer still drops regardless if the grip safety is pressed or not I text my lgs owner and he said one of the prongs - the one that rests on sear, might need to bent a bit. I bent her up a few different times, and nothing. Can't think of what else it could possibly be !

(Lancaster County)

There should be a prong on the inside of the grip safety that prevents the rear of the trigger bow from moving back far enough to affect the sear. Gripping the gun moves this prong up out of the way. Maybe the prong is too short or not aligned with the trigger bow. If you take off the grips and shine a light in there, maybe you can see what's going on.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks. I've been looking inside trying to figure it out but nothing so far. Started having a few beers after my failure to fix so I will pick up the battle again tomorrow - lol. Everything looks to be in the right place, grip safety has good tension/pressure, I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by rodspade View Post
    There should be a prong on the inside of the grip safety that prevents the rear of the trigger bow from moving back far enough to affect the sear. Gripping the gun moves this prong up out of the way. Maybe the prong is too short or not aligned with the trigger bow. If you take off the grips and shine a light in there, maybe you can see what's going on.

(Bucks County)

Gun purchased new or used? If new, contact CS of factory. If used, try to figure out what previous owner did to "improve it".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast