Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Pistol storage. How do you store yours?

A hidden room is always the best bet.
    A hidden space in a wall is also good.
    If you are a bachelor and never use the oven, there is lots of space under there to hide handguns.
    Etc...

(Bucks County)

I have a small stack on safe for my 20 or so guns. I bought one of those gun safe door organizers. It was too big for my safe so I cut it down and contact cemented it to the door. I bought extra velcro holsters for it and have about 8 handguns hanging on the door of my gun safe. It works for me.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...older?a=862774
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

I have this exact door storage for my safe.
    liberty-accessory-door-panel-for-30-35-40-size-gun-safes-6-249x300.jpg
    The problem is some big frame revolvers won't fit because the shelf gets in the way.
    One thing I never liked the idea of is those barrel hanging rods like this.
    Gun-Storage-Rifle-Rod-Handgun-Hanger-8.jpg
    Anybody around here use those?

Quote Originally Posted by ammo View Post
    Not to burst anyone's bubble about security, but the majority of NEW safes that are dedicated gun safes or not the most secure and that includes big brands between $8,000 and $12,000. I've done my due diligence and don't have time to give in Epic explanation on all subject matter but for what it's worth the best safes are typically not marketed as dedicated gun safes at Price levels that the majority of people are probably going to want to spend or possibly even afford, because they may want to buy a small car or something more practical for the same money.

Another poster here mentioned about a decoy safe with some cheap stuff in it, and many times for the average crackhead, high school punks, or even amateur crook that should do the job, as you will have some slightly better safe and in very inconveniently accessible area with the real family jewels in it as it were. Great suggestion!

If you fit into the category of average American family you probably don't have a collection thats going to be targeted by professional thieves and unless you have diarrhea of the mouth every time you're out and socialize with miscreant or friends who have miscreant acquaintances. Typically even some cheap Fort Knox or Cannon Safe would be a visual deterrent for people who are not in the know but with anybody to slightly above an amateur see if you can defeat those things and a would be a visual deterrent for people who are not in the know; but with anybody to slightly above an amateur skill set knows you can defeat those things and a ridiculously short amount of time with simple pry bars and I don't feel like getting into that here. Just buy something it makes it inconvenient for people to get in lowlife Steve don't like a lot of attention and don't want to spend a lot of time in there anyhow.

For those with truly rare collections seriously high-dollar stuff, the protection level is it going to be out of the average person's budget anyhow. So really there's very little difference between a $600 on sale safe at Tractor Supply and most safes around $10,000. The differences that you're going to see for protection are going to be soon minuscule but where you are paying more for is the name the bells and whistles the size, and a little better fire protection time. Buy a cheap safe to make it inconvenient and spend your money on guns. You can get a decently sized safe for maybe $1,500 to $2,000 that doesn't look like trash and can put a good bit of stuff in it if you shop around. Just don't expect it to be Fort Knox and I'm not talking about that brand :-) anything above that to the threshold I mentioned before is a false sense of security for the purchaser.

If you feel like qualifying my comments please do so you'll come to the same understanding if you spend the time and make the connections I did to do it myself.

Let's say you want better protection you just have to have better protection but you don't have heavy money to plunk down on a good quality safe that are actually a decent size. Talk to locksmiths go to estate sales after you do research and find out what non-gun safes offer more serious protection which are still lower end but started around $20,000 to $30,000 brand-new and are selling for quite a bit less than that used. No granted these are not going to be the biggest safes in the world. Actually the majority of them are probably going to be disappointingly small as well as not be the most pretty thing you've ever laid eyes on and be ridiculously heavy. You can pick them up for $3,000 to $5,000 used usually maybe a bit more.

Now I've given you a good place to start period Google will be your best utility moving forward so take this nugget understanding and run with it and if it's truly what you want and either direction you'll be a lot happier for it whether you have true security or just good enough to store your stuff and make it inconvenient you truly now having options to do either way that would fit into the budget of most people, whether it's a $600 or an $800 dollar safe on sale up to one of those $5,000 used jobs.

All the best in finding a solution that works for you. I hope this is helpful.
    I agree totally. Gun safes are very over rated. Proper INSURANCE is where it is at. I have a basic liberty safe 23 gun that I inherited. My next safe will be the cheapest model of half decent quality that I can find. My reasons for having a safe are #1 To keep my guns secure from children #2 as a mere deterrent to common thieves.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I don't use these, but (assuming they can handle the weight of the gun) I don't see anything wrong with them. Being plastic/rubber coated they are less damaging to the gun than anything we use to clean the gun.

My 2¢

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    I have this exact door storage for my safe.
    liberty-accessory-door-panel-for-30-35-40-size-gun-safes-6-249x300.jpg
    The problem is some big frame revolvers won't fit because the shelf gets in the way.
    I bought a rack of those hangers.
    I quickly realized that if you have long guns like South American Mausers and M91 Mosins in your safe, you will be banging stuff around with handguns hanging lower than the shelf.
    After I knocked a couple handguns off with the muzzle of a long gun, I tossed it out.

I wasn't particularly keen on something staying in contact with the bore anyway.
    Probably a nonissue but I kept thinking about a little moisture getting trapped between the hanger and rifling.
    Again, probably not an issue, just something I wondered about.

(Monroe County)

I store most of my firearms in a gun safe with a dehumidifier rod. It is a good deterrent for the average smash and grab thief and some fire protection is better than none.

Like others have said, get a safe. with 20+ firearms it’s time to invest in your investment.

(Bucks County)

I hide'em. Here, there and everywhere. Once in a while I think of one of them, wonder what I did with it, and the fun (search) begins. This established, well-documented style insulates me from laws requiring that I report lost or stolen within xx hours.

(Allegheny County)

I have them scattered in 3 safes. I know that a pro can break into any safe, I have them to keep the common criminal out, keep them secure from children and fire protection.

Even if they crack one, there's two more. They will not have enough time to get that far along.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I bought a rack of those hangers.
    I quickly realized that if you have long guns like South American Mausers and M91 Mosins in your safe, you will be banging stuff around with handguns hanging lower than the shelf.
    After I knocked a couple handguns off with the muzzle of a long gun, I tossed it out.

I wasn't particularly keen on something staying in contact with the bore anyway.
    Probably a nonissue but I kept thinking about a little moisture getting trapped between the hanger and rifling.
    Again, probably not an issue, just something I wondered about.
    I got a couple of those rods, and I don't like how they rock and slide around so easily... I might have to resort to them, since I am running out of safe space in general, but I'd say that I'd look at them at a last resort.

I considered one of those gun magnets, but it seems like the "anti scratch" coating quality on them varies from vendor to vendor... Not something I'm a fan of risking with how much money I spend on guns. Plus, I can see my self getting a barrel "sucked" into an unoccupied magnet when retrieving or storing a long gun under it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast