Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Pet Peeves when ordering guns or related items online

(Note: not putting this in 'where to buy' since it's not specific to any store)

My #1 pet peeve ordering online is "processing time."

Many sites don't specify this. If it's specified, then fine: If you tell me "4-5 days processing" then I can choose to order or not, and accept that.

But for sites that don't specify I expect prompt processing. If I order on a Thursday morning, I pretty much expect my order will go out by Friday afternoon. I only order "in stock" items, and it doesn't seem excessive to me that you get it out by "following business day"... I run an online business (non-gun) myself and we promise following-business-day ship-out (though in fact for a morning order it would usually go out the same day).

Frankly, even 2nd business day (like I order on Tuesday you ship on Thursday) would be okay... Not great, but not a deal-breaker.

But when I get orders that are "processing" for days and days, it's my last purchase from that place... Either you're amateurs, you were fibbing about having it in stock, or you just have generally poor customer service and I expect more 'bumps' in the road with you.

There's a bunch of other things that can annoy, but I leave them for others to identify as their pet peeve.
    DGAF

(York County)

Default Re: Pet Peeves when ordering guns or related items online

PS - MiseryLovesShotguns...

Keen to hear your views. But let's keep this one somewhat generic... We got a whole forum for "Vendor X Sucks"...
    DGAF

(Montgomery County)

Not specific to guns, but relevant since I have ordered a lot of gun stuff on Amazon.
    Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping is total BS.
    The stuff almost never arrives on time, and often takes well over a week.
    No notification of delay, no apology, no discount.
    Amazon has become large enough that they don't need to care about customer service anymore.
    I still like buying from Amazon for the ease and convenience of it.
    But paying for Amazon Prime irks me when they constantly renege on their free 2 day shipping "guarantee".
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Not specific to guns, but relevant since I have ordered a lot of gun stuff on Amazon.
    Amazon has become large enough that they don't need to care about customer service anymore.
    But paying for Amazon Prime irks me when they constantly renege on their free 2 day shipping "guarantee".
    Berncly -

I'd probably instantly cancel my Prime account if I experienced that. I use Prime video and a few other things, but the 2nd-day shipping is the core of why I have Prime.

The weird thing is I've found them about 98% reliable on the free 2nd-day shipping myself.
    DGAF

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Berncly -
    I'd probably instantly cancel my Prime account if I experienced that. I use Prime video and a few other things, but the 2nd-day shipping is the core of why I have Prime.
    The weird thing is I've found them about 98% reliable on the free 2nd-day shipping myself.
    Could be due to the stuff I order, or where I live related to ease of delivery.
    Maybe they just don't like me :P
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    (Note: not putting this in 'where to buy' since it's not specific to any store)

My #1 pet peeve ordering online is "processing time."

Many sites don't specify this. If it's specified, then fine: If you tell me "4-5 days processing" then I can choose to order or not, and accept that.

But for sites that don't specify I expect prompt processing. If I order on a Thursday morning, I pretty much expect my order will go out by Friday afternoon. I only order "in stock" items, and it doesn't seem excessive to me that you get it out by "following business day"... I run an online business (non-gun) myself and we promise following-business-day ship-out (though in fact for a morning order it would usually go out the same day).

Frankly, even 2nd business day (like I order on Tuesday you ship on Thursday) would be okay... Not great, but not a deal-breaker.

But when I get orders that are "processing" for days and days, it's my last purchase from that place... Either you're amateurs, you were fibbing about having it in stock, or you just have generally poor customer service and I expect more 'bumps' in the road with you.

There's a bunch of other things that can annoy, but I leave them for others to identify as their pet peeve.
    IMO, it's a scam to get the customer to upgrade shipping. Choosing free or cheapest shipping results in intentional delays processing the order. When it takes 5 days to get a tracking number every time, I know that business is sitting on the order.

Some businesses I've dealt with seem to prioritize. Under most circumstances, it goes out quickly but during times of heavy volume, I may have to wait while the higher cost shipping methods are handled first. I can accept that, if I were in a hurry, I would have paid a premium.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    IMO, it's a scam to get the customer to upgrade shipping. Choosing free or cheapest shipping results in intentional delays processing the order. When it takes 5 days to get a tracking number every time, I know that business is sitting on the order.
    Amazon is really pissing me off with this lately. Last order was "preparing to ship" for 9 days. BS. Good to know Prime doesn't make it any better though; saves me a potential $99 mistake.

Tombstone Tactical is famous for the long processing times, and Bud's is only slightly better.

probably my biggest peeve too.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Amazon is really pissing me off with this lately. Last order was "preparing to ship" for 9 days. BS. Good to know Prime doesn't make it any better though; saves me a potential $99 mistake.

Tombstone Tactical is famous for the long processing times, and Bud's is only slightly better.

probably my biggest peeve too.
    I order so little from Amazon, I get no benefit shipping wise. I have it for the the shows and movies. For me, it's worth it for that and the occasional shipping upgrade is just a bonus.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I did the free trial for Prime to try it out.
    Well over 50% of the stuff that was supposed to be two day was more like 5.
    If it had been actually 2 day, I would have signed up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post

This!
    I went though prime and I ordered sights from a place in IL with stupid excuses from the vendor and it took that long in fact I
    Ebayed grips from Thailand the same day that came via Germany on DHL reg parcel and they got here day sooner.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast