Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Anyone own stock in a gun company?

I know since the "gun salesman of the year" winner of the past 8 years has finally finished his tenure, gun stocks (the kind you buy on Wall Street, not from your LGS) have been dropping. Makes sense. I'm curious when it will finally level out and become ripe for increase in value. 2019 maybe? By then people will have some idea of what could happen in 2020.

I'm curious if anyone here currently or previously owned stock in a gun manufacturer. Did you profit from it? When did you invest in it? When or why did you sell it, if at all? All thoughts on the subject are welcome. I'm also interested in comments related to stocks of ammunition manufacturers and national defense contractors.
    Last edited by FJW; March 15th, 2017 at 06:55 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Anyone own stock in a gun company?

I've read for investment purposes - gun/ammo company shares isn't a good place to invest due to the recent election.

Maybe in 2020 or 2024 when the chances of an anti-gun president are possible would it be better.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

I know it's in a state of decline. But I dont think we'd neccessarily have to wait until 2020 to know what to expect. Also, if carry laws begin to relax under Trump, or even some states like NY and NJ finally get the legislative enema they so desoerately need, gun sales may increase again. And the aim of any speculative investor is to invest (or sell) ahead of the game.

(Berks County)

Suppressors are where it's at.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Suppressors are where it's at.
    Know what? I think maybe youre right. One thing though, is that many of these stocks are in companies that manufacture or distribute alot of related or consolidated things, kind of diluting your efforts if youre looking to profit from one thing. Since so many state governments are relaxing about suppressors now, that is a GREAT suggestion. It's just that many companies are still technologically diverse within their market, and at odd times different types of technology within those markets could work against each other. Something to consider.
    Last edited by FJW; March 15th, 2017 at 07:27 PM.

(Butler County)

Trump, Putin, 922r, and the lifting of sanctions is something that comes to my mind.

(Butler County)

Ok, enlighten me more, Gunsnwater: What are some noteworthy brands of suppressors?

(Allegheny County)

I own stock in both Ruger (RGR) and the artist formerly known as Smith & Wesson (AOBC.)

I have been buying more of both. Ruger is trading at about 12 times earnings, AOBC at around 8. That is historically very cheap. Ruger also pays a 3 % dividend.

The other investment is just plain old guns. Never lost much money on one over the long haul, and always enjoyed shooting them.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I own stock in both Ruger (RGR) and the artist formerly known as Smith & Wesson (AOBC.)

I have been buying more of both. Ruger is trading at about 12 times earnings, AOBC at around 8. That is historically very cheap. Ruger also pays a 3 % dividend.

The other investment is just plain old guns. Never lost much money on one over the long haul, and always enjoyed shooting them.
    That's the kind of meat&potatoes answer I was looking for. I have recently opened an Ameritrade account. Opening a 3rd IRA was my first motive for that, but I'm also looking to dabble in some trading. I've been watching some companies for a few weeks. I actually did that quite a bit in the late 90's and realized if I had put money on some of the stocks I watched, I would have made a notable profit. So now 2.5 president's later....I'm back in black.

P.S. In my enthusiasm I ignored a few things in your post. I too was looking at both Ruger and S&W's mainstreamized and renamed offerings. Although I didn't want it to be true I also concluded that Ruger is probably the better investment. Is it because they've got a more specialized Market? The old pre-2k philosophy of investment used to be "diversify". Now it seems to have come out the other side. A lot of markets...among other things...seem to have been pitted against each other in the media. You don't want to be holding holding an account which has a value dependent too much on conflicting markets.

Yet I will still invest in both....separatey.
    Last edited by FJW; March 15th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    That's the kind of meat&potatoes answer I was looking for. I have recently opened an Ameritrade account. Opening a 3rd IRA was my first motive for that, but I'm also looking to dabble in some trading. I'VE been watching some companies for a few weeks. I actually did that quite a bit in the late 90's and realized if I had put money on some of the stocks I watched, I would have made a notable profit. So now 2.5 president's later....I'm back in black.
    I've always been a contrarian, industries cycle through good times and bad.

The time to buy is when they are cheap and there is blood in the streets (not literally, financially.)

I've owned Olin also (parent of Winchester) but it is overvalued right now.

If I had to choose between them, I'd take Ruger for the long term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast