Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default If my dad is a convicted felon, can I carry my sidearm on his property?

My dad claims to be a convicted felon. He's been very secretive about his past. All I get are legendary stories from his friends and they always say that it's up to him to give me the details on the bad stuff. We travel to Florida every year and stay at a timeshare of his. I was explaining a mix-up at the airport with my checked sidearm to him a moment ago and he got angry saying that I can't have my firearm on his property or anything under his name. Is that true? I've seen nothing of the sort on any forums asking similar questions. His "felony" would have occurred in NJ in the '80s. He has lived in PA for 25+ years. I think he's talking out of his @$$, but I'd love to have some back-up when I tell him to chill out.

(Chester County)

Default Re: If my dad is a convicted felon, can I carry my sidearm on his property?

Is your name Henry Hill Jr?

Default Re: If my dad is a convicted felon, can I carry my sidearm on his property?

If your father is a felon he cannot touch a firearm. It has nothing to do with you. You should not allow him to ever touch a firearm or have the ability to gain control of a firearm.
    Having a holstered firearm in your control is fine.

(Indiana County)

Having the ability to gain access to the firearm while on his property is the sticking point. You may indeed have it holstered on your body, but unless you plan on stay awake 24 hours a day for however long you're on his property, a problem could arise.

(Lehigh County)

His response actually rings true for a felon who wants to stay out of jail. As others have noted, if he is found in possession of a gun or ammo, he could be in big trouble if the fact became public knowledge. Just having the gun in his place could be construed by some as a violation. As long as you maintain control and secure the firearm so that he cannot access it when you do not have it on your person, you are likely OK, but I would seek to confirm this is FL law to be sure. .
    Last edited by gghbi; March 16th, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Keep in mind that if he is in fact a prohibited person, ammunition is just as big a no-no as a gun.

He is not allowed to posses or have access to either a gun or ammo - not even one, loose round with no gun present. It's crazy.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Tell him if he wants to stay away from jail he's got to stay away from your gun. He's an adult, he can understand that shit.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Tell him if he wants to stay away from jail he's got to stay away from your gun. He's an adult, he can understand that shit.
    He may indeed understand that, but The Authorities tend to view things differently. Even if he doesn't touch anything, the mere fact that he could have touched anything is what matters.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Is your name Henry Hill Jr?
    LOL. I was going to ask if his name ends in a long vowel?

I remember the LCN being very active about that time.

(Berks County)

Run his name though UJS portal? I don't know your dad but I don't think most would brag about being a felon if they aren't.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast