Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: If my dad is a convicted felon, can I carry my sidearm on his property?

Just be advised that being prohibited from possessing a firearm doesn't "go away" after some random number of years simply because you think it's been "long enough" or "forgotten".

You can think you have your answer all you want, but legal knowledge gained in a handful of internet posts is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    I think the only way to know for sure is to find out if he's actually prohibited and what the exact crime/punishment/possible max sentence was.

The ramifications of being wrong are not something I'd be willing to fluff off as just "bragging".
    It's your situation though and right or wrong, it has no direct impact on me, so you are certainly free to proceed on your own terms.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Default Re: If my dad is a convicted felon, can I carry my sidearm on his property?

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    What law says you have to secure firearms around children? (in PA)
    Since children cannot possess firearms, except in certain circumstances, constructive possession becomes a key factor in either case.

IANAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by greyscout View Post
    For clarification, I'm a 36 year-old married father of three. So there are no strippers at my doorstep.
    My father doesn't own a computer and got his first cell phone last year (Obamaphone), so he's not exactly up to date with ANYTHING. Considering that his felony was over 30 years ago, I guarantee that the laws have changed since then. His record is clean as of now, so if there was a felony, it's been stricken from public record at this point.
    The reason why I think that my dad would make up a story about being a convicted felon is because it's in his nature to say anything that makes him seem more bad-ass than he is. It's this activity that's kept him from living a full life. To be honest, until he tells me the nature of his felony, I have every right to call bull shit. He claims that he's trying to protect me, but the truth is that I can handle the truth better than him. I'm not here for a Psychological couch-sitting though.
    My question wasn't whether I should or shouldn't carry around him; it was whether he's making shit up about him going to jail due to my weapon on my person or locked up.
    I AM his only heir, but he's been under the poverty line for so long, I hope that I die before him. If he dies before me, I'll inherit debt.
    I think I have my answer. It's not against the law for me to have my weapon in his presence, so long as he is never in possession of it. However, an LEO could construe the situation to his/her liking.

EDIT: My dad despises guns. He's never used one, aside from hunting as a child. He's very anti-gun, actually. He's always held firm that fists are better than guns. If you're on this forum, you know the truth. However, I'm certain that his hatred of guns is playing a large part in what he's trying to tell me.
    Try looking him up here: PROMIS/Gavel Public Access

(Erie County)

What happens when he gets pulled over with you in his car, with you carrying your weapon. Do you think that will stop an overzealous cop and prosecutor from nailing him?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Since children cannot possess firearms, except in certain circumstances, constructive possession becomes a key factor in either case.

IANAL.
    No. This is way different. A felon cannot touch a gun...... EVER.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    No. This is way different. A felon cannot touch a gun...... EVER.
    I disagree, felons touch guns all the time, how do you think criminals carry out their business. "The alleged robber was also charged with felony possession of a firearm".

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by greyscout View Post
    I AM his only heir, but he's been under the poverty line for so long, I hope that I die before him. If he dies before me, I'll inherit debt.
    The debt dies with the debtor, it doesn't get passed on to the debtor's next of kin.

Quote Originally Posted by ItchyTick View Post
    What happens when he gets pulled over with you in his car, with you carrying your weapon. Do you think that will stop an overzealous cop and prosecutor from nailing him?
    As long as he is legit the cop can't do shit about the situation. Constructive possession.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Beaver County)

It really doesn't matter if your father is a convicted felon or not ... his property (yes timeshares in FL are in fact deeded) and his rules. If he says he doesn't want you armed in his home (where ever it may be) then YOU are in violation of the law. Maybe you should purchase your own property or rent a hotel room and then YOU make the rules. If you disrespect him like you clearly do from your post(s) maybe you should pack your shit and leave the "poverty stricken, obamaphone, out of touch gun hater, liar" alone!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by V-MAN View Post
    It really doesn't matter if your father is a convicted felon or not ... his property (yes timeshares in FL are in fact deeded) and his rules. If he says he doesn't want you armed in his home (where ever it may be) then YOU are in violation of the law. Maybe you should purchase your own property or rent a hotel room and then YOU make the rules. If you disrespect him like you clearly do from your post(s) maybe you should pack your shit and leave the "poverty stricken, obamaphone, out of touch gun hater, liar" alone!!
    I wouldn't have put it quite like that, but OP, I think V-Man has a point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast