Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Trapdoor Springfield

Rep provided for all. I bought the rifle c&R from a dealer who had it checked out. I think I will use for a start. I bought the low pressure ammo from Powder River for a start. Thanks for all the info.

Technically they are antiques , or pre-C&R. No license or paperwork needed , but most dealers will make ya go thru the hoops.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Technically they are antiques , or pre-C&R. No license or paperwork needed , but most dealers will make ya go thru the hoops.
    exactly

(Cambria County)

Shot and killed my first deer with a trapdoor in 1963 and have collected them ever since . Currently I only own 8 of different configurations but do shoot them from time to time .
    Great plinking load is 13 to 15 gr unique behind a 405 gr hollow base Lee bullet ( no filler )
    DAN

(Bucks County)

I have a little problem with my 1888 round rod bayonet. Despite the spring-loaded double retainer, the bayonet slides forward from recoil. The latches engage the rebated sections perfectly, and the spring seems pretty strong. A search of internet has not located any discussion on the matter. Anyone have the answer? (Beside removing the bayonet while shooting it?)

(York County)

Mine never did that. Perhaps a stronger spring on the catch? I'll ask when I'm at the MACA show today.

(Bucks County)

Thanks, EC. Much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Tonight I drove out the retaining pin. The springs are both present and strong. The clamp can be rotated 180 degrees, and the pin reinstalled...which I did. Next time on the range will test my theory that engagement will be better. When I first acquired this rifle I disassembled it and went over it to see what made it tick and if it needed anything. Which it did. (Having nothing to do with the rod bayonet retention device). The slotted screw securing the Buffington sight was a 32 tpi. The original screw thread is 30 tpi. Upon reassembly of the rifle, I may have reassembled the bayonet retainer turned around. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by Bang; March 19th, 2017 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I have a little problem with my 1888 round rod bayonet. Despite the spring-loaded double retainer, the bayonet slides forward from recoil. The latches engage the rebated sections perfectly, and the spring seems pretty strong. A search of internet has not located any discussion on the matter. Anyone have the answer? (Beside removing the bayonet while shooting it?)

Marksman Tip: Check Your Cleaning Rod Stop
    Tom Trevor and Don Harpold found the following problem that can cause inaccuracy in your rifle. During the September 1999, outing of the Burbank Muzzle Loaders (primarily black powder cartridge shooters) it was noticed that Tom's .45-70 trapdoor rifle had a broken cleaning rod lock(stop). The cleaning rod stop is located in the forestock and held in place by the front band spring and stock recess. Under normal firing, the barrel is not touched by the stop. However, when the stop is broken as in the photograph, the firing recoil causes the rod to move forward which rotates the forward end of the stop up into the bottom of the barrel binding the barrel between the stop and the barrel band. This has been found to cause a drastic fall off in accuracy in rifles known to be accurate shooting arms.
    At the annual September 1999 Springfield shoot, six rifles out of thirty-five had broken stops. It seems the stop would be one of the last things to consider if an accuracy problem develops, but it is something that should be checked. Guns with the broken stop seemed to perform much better after the stop was replaced.
    http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html
    scroll down the page - there’s 2 small pictures

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the post^^^. I have the publication containing that description. I don't have an accuracy problem. Just the rod creeps forward. The model 1888 specifically addressed creation of a better rod retainer by doubling the clamping action of the retainer (i.e. two clamps...one forward and one aft) and was adopted officially in 1890. My rifle is cartouched 1890. Each clamp has is own robust coil spring for a total of two springs applying spring pressure to the notches in the rod. The gauge of the spring wire is heavy and the pressure applied to the notches in the rod seems strong, but being old and under constant application, it's quite possible that they have taken a set and are no longer strong enough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast