Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trapdoor Springfield

I have a TDS with round ramrod bayonet. The grooves in the ramrod, where they lock into the catch, at the muzzle are clean and crisp at the edges and so is the clamp. Since the spring tension is good, I would look at ramrod for wear first, then the clamp.

(Bucks County)

Checked both with magnification. Rod grooves have perpendicular sides that turn into a radius as they progress toward the bottom of the groove. The radius is needed to keep the rod from snapping, which it would do if the transitions were abrupt square turns. Their bluing looks good, so I'd say they are in good shape. The retaining clamps are another matter. They seem to each have their own purpose. The front to keep the rod secured while stored, the rear to hold the rod secure when thrust as in bayoneting. I noticed slight differences between the front and rear clamp and that's the reason I reversed it. The engaging nubs of the clamps are not as sharp or deep as I would expect them to be, so it may be a matter of wear. I'll know more next time on the shooting bench. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bang; March 20th, 2017 at 10:33 PM.

(York County)

I didn't get much in the way of a definitive answer at the big antique arms show. Glad you seem to have a possible answer. Thankfully American arms of this sort still have parts available for them, so it won't be a much of a hassle to replace a worn/out of spec part.

(Bucks County)

Thanks EC and all who took interest. If what I have tried doesn't work, I may try sharpening the shoulders of the retainer slightly with a cut-off wheel in the Dremel.

(Bucks County)

It's fixed. Unpinned the retainer, turned it around and re-pinned it in place. Round bayonet rod is behaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    It's fixed. Unpinned the retainer, turned it around and re-pinned it in place. Round bayonet rod is behaving.
    that's great!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123