Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Laser - yes or no?

I have two semi auto pistols. One of which is an Fn FiveseveN. I was going to put a RED DOT sight on it but that requires either a very ugly and obtrusive mounting mechanism or minor modification of the gun, so a laser seems like a better option.

The pistol does have a rail for mounting accessories under the barrel shroud so it seems like a much simpler solution. My initial study indicates that a green laser would preferable to red. Apparently the green has better day time resolution.

But, backing up just a little, the gun does have really good sights on it. How many of you find the addition of a laser really useful?

Your opinion is appreciated.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Laser - yes or no?

For training, not for actual tactical use. Using a laser can be very useful for getting to know how a new gun points. But I would never put one on a CC or nightstand gun. i believe that in actual situations of self-defense, the rule should be "simpler is better".

(Bucks County)

Unless the green laser is an expensive product, it will not work below 51 degrees, if that is a consideration. Green is better because green is the easiest color for the human eye to see. However, it will literally disappear on green vegetation. If outdoors and time is of the essence, you do not want to be searching for the beam when you need to instantly realize that you need to use the iron sights.

I think a laser is an excellent choice for the night stand, if it can be turned on by intuitive means. That can be an ergonomically placed switch, or a squeeze-on switch when the pistol is gripped in shooting fashion. I prefer a switch that leaves me in control. I don't want a laser coming on and telling the BG where I am and what he is facing automatically.

Shining a laser into the eyes of the BG(s) is a great tactical advantage. It will temporarily disable their vision. But...that could result in their doing a spray and pray due to panic if they are armed.

Using the laser is something that has to be quickly evaluated at the time of the event. There is no one action fits all events.

If both you and your spouse each have handguns available when in bed, do not have lasers of the same color on both guns. You may not be able to quickly discern which beam is yours and which is hers.

(Maybe spouse should be replaced with partner, in some instances). I'm learnin....
    Last edited by Bang; March 13th, 2017 at 05:07 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Perhaps you should consider Tritium night sights.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Unless the green laser is an expensive product, it will not work below 51 degrees, if that is a consideration. Green is better because green is the easiest color for the human eye to see. However, it will literally disappear on green vegetation. If outdoors and time is of the essence, you do not want to be searching for the beam when you need to instantly realize that you need to use the iron sights.

I think a laser is an excellent choice for the night stand, if it can be turned on by intuitive means. That can be an ergonomically placed switch, or a squeeze-on switch when the pistol is gripped in shooting fashion. I prefer a switch that leaves me in control. I don't want a laser coming on and telling the BG where I am and what he is facing automatically.

Shining a laser into the eyes of the BG(s) is a great tactical advantage. It will temporarily disable their vision. But...that could result in their doing a spray and pray due to panic if they are armed.

Using the laser is something that has to be quickly evaluated at the time of the event. There is no one action fits all events.

If both you and your spouse each have handguns available when in bed, do not have lasers of the same color on both guns. You may not be able to quickly discern which beam is yours and which is hers.

(Maybe spouse should be replaced with partner, in some instances). I'm learnin....
    ^I think Bang gave some solid opinions. I have to agree. The human eye does detect green light better than red, little trivia- Night vision devices detect red better than green. I also read (on the Crimson Trace website) that the technology is a little different in them and battery life is shorter in green lasers. Green also costs more. Significantly IIRC.

I have no experience with green but I would think that indoors there is little need for the more expensive green, and outdoors I'd think maybe they might both suck in bright sunlight(IDK).

Nutnfancy also has a 4 hour video on them too (hahaha), maybe it's only 40 minutes can't remember.

I'm coming around to them after just putting a red one on my wife's LCP.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a Laserlyte FSL4 red laser sight for training. (I don't carry) Small, light, fairly bright, and inexpensive (under $60 on eBay). Fits the rail snugly and tightens up well. Easy to sight in but is a little sensitive, a little adjustment goes a long way. I bought to see if I was flinching. As for using it for aiming, I prefer the standard sights.

(Lancaster County)

I like lasers

(Bucks County)

I bought a laser max for my FN 5.7, and was very disappointed in the performance. The stock sights ar, as you said pretty darn good.
    If you're interested on the lasermax, pm me.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

I have a red laserlite on a SCCY and a green Crimson Trace trigger guard mount on my XDs. (Worth the price).
    I love them but practice 50% with and without. I agree with the post on NOT using them as a nightstand gun. Night sites would be my choice on a grab a gun at night situation.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Chester County)

Personally, I don't like lasers. But that's just my personal preference.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast