Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Older Dan Wesson revolvers?

tmp_30086-rps20170318_004044-1605870133.jpg

For awhile my only .38/.357 was a Charter Arms Bulldog with 6" barrel. I never had any major complaints about it. It was pretty accurate for having such crappy sights. I could always put 4 or 5 out of 5 on a pie plate at 25 yards (single action) on most days. It wasnt as tough as a GP100 or a Service Six, or as tight and finished as a 60, but it felt pretty nice in my hand and handled a variety of loads just fine. After awhile I really started to like the cartridge(s) in general and started to shop for a better 357. I spent ALOT of time researching a number of the more legendary models, but on the side I began to notice and admire Dan Wesson revolvers, even the older "pork chop" frames. Well, anyway...to make a long story short I ended up with a 4" DW Model 15 with a slightly worn bluing, but still in fine shape. When I brought it to the range I was accurate with it immediately. It handled both .38 and .357 like a charm. I've mostly shot 148gr Atomic +P 38spl reverse SWC and Winchester white box 110gr 357 JHP. I also shot up a half a box of Fiocchi 158gr 357 XTP for good measure, which I picked up in lieu of bear spray when hiking. The unusual cylinder release does take a little getting used to, but wasn't a huge curve really. I like to bring this gun when I travel out of state for its simplicity, ruggedness, and broad application. It is super accurate with its little orange front insert, and has a reputation for being about as tough as any Ruger. I also got the barrel tool for switching barrels but haven't tried that yet. I'd like to get maybe a 12" barrel and try some long range stuff or maybe take a deer sometime. One thing I dont care for is the grip, as my hand rides too high to reach trigger comfortably sometimes, but feels awkwardly balanced when it's low. I'll probably replace it with a rubber combat grip, but was also considering a nice wood grip.

So I'm just curious... Anyone else have any love for these, or some of the other earlier DW wheelguns?
    Last edited by FJW; March 18th, 2017 at 04:40 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Older Dan Wesson revolvers?

The Dan Wessons earned their reputation with their accuracy. They have a short (compared to a Smith) hammer stroke in double action and they are not as smooth to shoot double action as a Smith and more directly compare in feel to a Ruger. The action mechanism is however very simple, robust, and durable and the frame is on the heavier side. Well made revolvers that dominated the revolver class when silhouette shooting was in its heyday. A lot of folks know about them now and spare barrels are getting pricey, just check ebay. I currently have 4. A 715, stainless version of your model 15; a 357 Super Mag (357 Maximum) that I competed with back in the 80s; a 375 Super Mag; and a 22. I don't ever see me selling any of them. Hope this helps.

(Philadelphia County)

My model 15 is the most accurate pistol I have. 2 1/2", 4" & 6" plus four grips. I like the Pachmayr grip like you have, the wood ones seem clunky. Replacements should be around. Like Saleen said barrels are getting pricy.

Before you loosen yours get the feeler gauge for setting the gap.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Beaver County)

CZ bought the company and is producing the revolvers on a limited basis. They may have parts.

(Butler County)

@Saleen322...

I like your blued one in the middle, but theyre all nice. It's kind of how I'd like to get mine set up for camping. My Bulldog already has the nice Pachmayr combat grip. It's very light (5 shots) for a 357 but the grip and 6" barrel make up for it in recoil. I can only imagine how nice a DW15 would be then.

Here's another Q: Is the M15 considered a "small frame" or "large frame"? On eBay all i ever see for DW grip choices is one or the other. I rarely see a model # mentioned.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    My model 15 is the most accurate pistol I have. 2 1/2", 4" & 6" plus four grips. I like the Pachmayr grip like you have, the wood ones seem clunky. Replacements should be around. Like Saleen said barrels are getting pricy.

Before you loosen yours get the feeler gauge for setting the gap.
    Indeed, wood doesnt seem very practical.
    I know the wrench is hard enough to find. How about the guage?

(Clearfield County)

Here's another Q: Is the M15 considered a "small frame" or "large frame"? On eBay all i ever see for DW grip choices is one or the other. I rarely see a model # mentioned.
    The 22, 22 mag, 32, and 357 are all considered small frames (I think that is the complete list). The 41, 44, 45 and all of the Super Mags are large frame. If you look at the 715 and the 375 in the pictures you can see the size difference in the cylinder and cylinder opening in the frame. Then look at the 715 and the 22 and you can see they are the same frame size. Also the barrels are bigger in the large frame like I can't swap the barrels of the 357 SM with the 715 even though the bore is the same. The barrel itself is much larger in the large frame. Hope this helps.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    The 22, 22 mag, 32, and 357 are all considered small frames (I think that is the complete list). The 41, 44, 45 and all of the Super Mags are large frame. If you look at the 715 and the 375 in the pictures you can see the size difference in the cylinder and cylinder opening in the frame. Then look at the 715 and the 22 and you can see they are the same frame size. Also the barrels are bigger in the large frame like I can't swap the barrels of the 357 SM with the 715 even though the bore is the same. The barrel itself is much larger in the large frame. Hope this helps.
    Thanks! That really does help. Been bugging me for awhile. Didnt know which side of the tracks the 357 would fall with this design. DW usually overdesigns for caliber rather than under, obviously. They warn against using full power loads very frequently with some S&W models, like with the 60 or the 19. The DW models seem to have fans who swear by their ability to handle hot loads all day every day. With that said, if I handnt found this M15 I'd probably have a Security or Service Six. (I like them a bit more than the GP100.) Criteria for my choice was to have a really solid gun that could handle quite a range of loads, have a small enough frame for "discrete" carry... and be accurate as hell..and have 6 shots... all ofwhich the DW15 is. Although I admire the Smith's greatly for their fluid handling and refined action, I wanted a beefier gun even if it implied some loss of intrinsic beauty. I think the accuracy is the deal maker, here. Impressive durability with almost stunning accuracy... I really have to let aesthetic qualities sit on the back burner.
    Last edited by FJW; March 18th, 2017 at 11:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I have a model 15 6" and it was every bit the precision shooter my python was. I am looking for more compact grips though - pachymar diamond or presentation...the fit and finish and bluing are pretty impressive too.

(Delaware County)

I remember in the 1970s, the Dan Wesson was the rage. Interchangeable barrels, and the fact that many revolver models in the s&w line were hard to get, especially in two and six inch models.

Their popularity lasted about 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast