Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Laser - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Have 3 with red lasers, Beretta FS 92, Walter PPK/s and Ruger LCP. The reason is simple at my age with trifocal glasses I can't focus at different distances. When at the range I look through my glasses so the front sight is clear and the target is fuzzy, with the red spot I can focus at distance and both the spot and target are clear.
    Yes -this is me too!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Meh...not a fan. They're OK for fun, but for something that will realistically be used for sd I'll pass. Just one more thing to go wrong, and requires more training for that possible eventuality.
    It's ideal for SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    It's ideal for SD.
    It is if you want to be bothered to train with a laser and open sights.

I'm not that into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Yes -this is me too!
    This is a specific reason and understandable.

(Philadelphia County)

I have been wanting to get a Lasermax for my Glock but I haven't gotten around to parting with the money for it.It's a little costly compared to other laser devices but I like that it is placed inside of the gun rather than affixed onto an outside surface of it.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I have been wanting to get a Lasermax for my Glock but I haven't gotten around to parting with the money for it.It's a little costly compared to other laser devices but I like that it is placed inside of the gun rather than affixed onto an outside surface of it.
    I went with Crimson Trace. I heard of what is considered a complete rarity but the rod broke inside the gun and supposedly it was damn near impossible to disassemble.Maybe it was something with the switch? I don't know why but it scared me off.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I went with Crimson Trace. I heard of what is considered a complete rarity but the rod broke inside the gun and supposedly it was damn near impossible to disassemble.Maybe it was something with the switch? I don't know why but it scared me off.
    Yeah,that's a scary thought.In my reading on the Lasermax I don't recall coming across the process of activating the laser.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Lancaster County)

The only laser I have is on my Kel-Tec P32. It accomplishes several purposes. 1) it breaks up the outline of the gun in my back pocket (with holster) making it seem like a wallet. 2) the sights on this gun are rudimentary and the laser helps me get on target more quickly - although it tends to shift point of aim due to both the gun and the laser being plastic. Not sure if there is any intimidation factor, because if I'm pulling the weapon out, it is with intent to fire.
    YMMV, but I agree, it's another tool in the box, and you don't have to tun it on.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

I have a Crimson Trace Laserguard, which is the only laser aiming aid I can recommend. I had a side mounted Laserlyte on a mouse gun several years ago but the added motion of having to activate the laser was not at all to my liking. The CT Laserguard is mounted on my LCP and is passively activated when the pistol is gripped. For a mouse gun like the LCP with inadequate sights, I like using the CT Laserguard, for compact and full-size pistols like my Shield9 or G17, I much prefer to rely on the sights.

(Franklin County)

My opinion, I think a laser is a good thing for a home defense firearm because it will most likely be used indoors at shorter distances and probably in the dark (and for me and many others, I may not have my corrective lens on which makes traditional sights pretty much useless.)
    For a carry gun I think laser is less likely to be useful but I do see situations where it would be, such as in a movie theater where it's dark and you may not be able to get good sight alignment because you are seated/laying down or in a confined area.
    Something to consider, in a situation where you need the gun right now, you won't be using the sights anyway, you will be looking right over top of them at the target. I promise you, if someone is shooting at you or charging you, you're not taking your eyes off of them to focus on the front sight (nor should you) any more than you will be looking for a little red/green dot. Instinctive shooting is what you really need for defensive carry or home defense, and a laser does help with instinctive training.
    In addition, like others here, if I lose my glasses or just don't have them on, I may as well not have sights at all. I would be very thankful for the laser.
    Last edited by ray h; March 15th, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
    The Hostler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast