Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

Default Could you actually use your sidearm in a situation?

I was just wondering what percent of people on this site could actually use a firearm in self defense. I am sure in actuality it is not 100 percent.

In the 1980s I was a police officer/firearms instructor. Once a deer was hit by an auto and blocking the roadway crippled and bleeding. An officer was sent and he could not shoot the deer as he felt bad. Another officer arrived who was a sniper on the TAC team and he was the same way. I remember shooting the deer. This happened with a dog as well. No vet was available at 3 am and the dog was going to die and was yelping in pain. These were trained LEOs, who could not shoot an animal injured and blocking the highway. I wonder what if it was a person. By the way, the TAC offer later became a federal LEO.

What about non LEOs and persons not former military on this site? Many talk the talk but can they walk the walk. How do you know if you are mentally prepared to use lethal self defense? Have you though about this? The fact that you carry that fancy Glock or Sig will not be of any use if you are not able to respond to a lethal self defense threat.
    Last edited by LTCcarrier; March 13th, 2017 at 09:09 AM.