Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Could you actually use your sidearm in a situation?

Yes, because I have.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Pfff without hesitation.

I have dispatched my share of animals and pets. It's a shitty job. Most things in life that require tough decisions are shitty. Most people balk at everything. I don't.
    No one is going to take care of my problems but me.

A human that deserves it would be easy.

(Chester County)

I've mentioned this situation on poofa before, many years ago, I drove by a doe bedded on the side of the road. I stopped and walked up to her and she did not get up and run away, so I contacted the PGC local office and reported the deer's location, expecting them to handle the euthanization. Several hours later, I drove by the spot again and there lay the injured doe, now dead without any sign of intervention by the PGC. I swore to myself that I wouldn't allow that type of suffering to happen again if I could help it.

Just a few years ago, I drove by another deer that had been severely injured by a car, laying in the roadway. I stopped, got out and walked up to the young buck, he had a compound fracture of one of his back legs and lots of road rash. He was still alive and just layed there in the fetal position. I did what was necessary. It's never enjoyable to end another life, but it was the right thing to do.

Doing the right thing should never be in question. If someone isn't prepared to do what's right, they should not carry a firearm.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    I was just wondering what percent of people on this site could actually use a firearm in self defense. I am sure in actuality it is not 100 percent.

In the 1980s I was a police officer/firearms instructor. Once a deer was hit by an auto and blocking the roadway crippled and bleeding. An officer was sent and he could not shoot the deer as he felt bad. Another officer arrived who was a sniper on the TAC team and he was the same way. I remember shooting the deer. This happened with a dog as well. No vet was available at 3 am and the dog was going to die and was yelping in pain. These were trained LEOs, who could not shoot an animal injured and blocking the highway. I wonder what if it was a person. By the way, the TAC offer later became a federal LEO.

What about non LEOs and persons not former military on this site? Many talk the talk but can they walk the walk. How do you know if you are mentally prepared to use lethal self defense? Have you though about this? The fact that you carry that fancy Glock or Sig will not be of any use if you are not able to respond to a lethal self defense threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Well this one time I pulled over where another car had just hit a deer. The driver went and got a revolver from his glove box. I took that as my que to leave. I don't know if he shot it or not. I was gone.

Take the dog to the vet. I wasn't there. I don't know what you know but you let out some stuff I'd rather not read.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    I was just wondering what percent of people on this site could actually use a firearm in self defense. I am sure in actuality it is not 100 percent.

In the 1980s I was a police officer/firearms instructor. Once a deer was hit by an auto and blocking the roadway crippled and bleeding. An officer was sent and he could not shoot the deer as he felt bad. Another officer arrived who was a sniper on the TAC team and he was the same way. I remember shooting the deer. This happened with a dog as well. No vet was available at 3 am and the dog was going to die and was yelping in pain. These were trained LEOs, who could not shoot an animal injured and blocking the highway. I wonder what if it was a person. By the way, the TAC offer later became a federal LEO.

What about non LEOs and persons not former military on this site? Many talk the talk but can they walk the walk. How do you know if you are mentally prepared to use lethal self defense? Have you though about this? The fact that you carry that fancy Glock or Sig will not be of any use if you are not able to respond to a lethal self defense threat.
    Lets cover a few points, some of which might be Commonwealth Specific.
    Shooting the King's game, even if wounded fatally is against the law. Only officer's who do not require warrants and who you must answer truthfully and assist without question are exempt from this. Us peasants, and a majority of the Commonwealth LEO are not exempt.

I nearly had to shoot my wife's dog. Vet's office says "they don't put dogs down, it isn't humane".
    "Like I said, he bit my son, in the face, not the arm. I watched it happen, the kid wasn't hitting him or gouging his eyes, had just waddled over, the dog attacked him. I'd really prefer not to have to shoot my wife's dog."
    He was in old, I've no doubt in pain, as every living thing gets when it gets old. Never had a problem with kids before.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    If you are having a debate in your mind on whether to shoot someone, don't. It has to happen reflexively or it's not self defense.
    That is simply not true.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Pretty sure I can.

It's funny that the Left accuses us of not valuing life. When a murderer is let out of jail in a year, that sends the message that the life taken wasn't worth very much. The death penalty only makes sense if the value of the innocent victim's life is seen as priceless.

In a SD situation, I'm shooting to stop the threat, nothing more. If the attacker dies, that's on him - he wrote the check, I just cashed it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Yes, because I have.
    Drew or drew & fired?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I nearly had to shoot my wife's dog. Vet's office says "they don't put dogs down, it isn't humane".
    A Pennsylvania court ruled, a few years back, that it was indeed legal to put down your own dog (some guy had been charged with Animal Cruelty). One to the back of the head at close range, the dog's dead before its body even hits the ground.

As for the vet's office, sometimes not putting the animal down is inhumane.

(Monroe County)

WTF is this thread about?

That despite the PGC law* you would put down a road hit animal?

Or that your ability to use your sidearm in a real situation is based on above?

*Can't say I agree with it but boop there it is.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Drew or drew & fired?
    Drew, fortunately he didn't force me to pull the trigger. Pointing at his feet didn't stop him, bringing it up to his chest did.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast