Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Beretta 92FS Refinish! Sandblast! Cerakote Coming!

My 92FS I bought last month had a lot of "character" when I bought it. It was EXTRA used. Needless to say, I can only tolerate that for so long so I'm refinishing it. I ordered graphite black cerakote and started sandblasting the entire gun yesterday. As of right now, it's done and I'm just waiting for the cerakote to arrive from MidwayUSA. Here are some photos of the project so far and thoughts.

Mess. I had the slide disassembled shortly after this and it was a total disaster.

I got this tray from the office section at walmart to help organize the various pins and springs. I decided to only disassemble the frame/slide while the slide/frame was whole to help keep everything sorted. There are a lot of pins and a lot of them look very similar. After taking all of apart for the second time in two 2 days, I'm starting to recognize which pins go to which parts.

This was about the halfway point of sandblasting yesterday. Dual tone is definitely not for me as a primary pistol finish but it does look cool. I wanted to put it back together so I could make sure I would be able to do it once I put the cerakote on. The safety is a son of a whore to put back together!

I did the frame today. It looks white instead of grey like everything else which I thought was cool. I kind of wish this was stainless steel so I could leave it like this. It sparkles in sunlight and looks beautiful.

So far, this has been the most time consuming but also the most enjoyable project I've worked on. My Rainer Arms ambi AR was a lot of fun but I've enjoyed this more. Hopefully I don't mess up the cerakote next weekend. If this goes well, I'll probably start looking for used pistols to refinish.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Beretta 92FS Refinish! Sandblast! Cerakote Coming!

It looks great!
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Allegheny County)

Take your time !! or it will end up sucking ass

(Lancaster County)

You did a great job with the sandblaster, if you're finish job comes out as nice it will look great. Looking forward to seeing the after pictures
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lackawanna County)

Looks good, may not be as durable as normal cerakote unless you use 80ish grit alumox which is what they recommend fyi.
    I am sure it will hold, just something to consider next time. Make sure you degrease with acetone or Mek, and warm before spraying. Practice before hand so it doesn't flash. And spray the hard to reach areas first, inside grip frame ECT.

ETA: don't forget to plug that barrel and remove the rear sight and safety
    Last edited by titleiiredneck; March 12th, 2017 at 08:46 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by titleiiredneck View Post
    Looks good, may not be as durable as normal cerakote unless you use 80ish grit alumox which is what they recommend fyi.
    I am sure it will hold, just something to consider next time. Make sure you degrease with acetone or Mek, and warm before spraying. Practice before hand so it doesn't flash. And spray the hard to reach areas first, inside grip frame ECT.

ETA: don't forget to plug that barrel and remove the rear sight and safety
    I got a big can of acetone today. I taped the sights off when I blasted it because I couldn't get the rear sight off. The front sight can't come out anyway. My biggest concern is ruining the sights because they're night sights. I stripped the slide but put it back together so I didn't lose any parts. I kept 9mm casings to plug the chamber but ended up blasting the feed ramp. I polished it back to normal so I'll just tape that off when I spray it.