Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini 14/30 Rant

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Mini 14/30 Rant

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Ruger should have made the 14 to accept AR15 mags. Still trying to decide if Ruger wants to be in the gun business or magazine business. At least their ARs take AR magazines.
    Bill Ruger was no friend of the common gun owner when it came to capacity.
    By making the mags proprietary he was ensuring that the commoner wouldn't have access to evil high capacity magazines like those used in the AR15.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    I know Ruger designed the gun to make sure no squibs occurred but flying hot brass 40+ feet and it's effect on the gun's accuracy makes no sense what-so-ever!
    An autoloaders op-rod does not start to move until after the bullet has left the barrel. How hard it ejects or how hard the bolt slams into the rear of the receiver will not effect the accuracy.

There are plenty of reasons to buffer it like you did. But, Accuracy is not one of them.

OK Delkal.
    Anything that moves excessively or causes vibrations when firing, (or cycling), has an effect on accuracy when I'm shooting!
    Especially when I'm worried the biker four benches to my right is going to limb me if he gets hit by just one more of my empties!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    An autoloaders op-rod does not start to move until after the bullet has left the barrel. How hard it ejects or how hard the bolt slams into the rear of the receiver will not effect the accuracy.

There are plenty of reasons to buffer it like you did. But, Accuracy is not one of them.
    I'm pretty sure I've read that an op rod on the M1 and M14 does move before the bullet exits.
    Not much, but it does.
    Is the Mini different?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read that an op rod on the M1 and M14 does move before the bullet exits.
    Not much, but it does.
    Is the Mini different?
    Can't find anything offhand but that is what I always heard. In a Garand the bullet is about one inch from the muzzle. Don't have a calculator handy but think about how long it takes for a bullet going 2800 fps to travel one inch........Not long. The resting inertia of the oprod and bolt will not have a chance to move by then. And there will be less time for it to affect the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    OK Delkal.
    Anything that moves excessively or causes vibrations when firing, (or cycling), has an effect on accuracy when I'm shooting!
    Especially when I'm worried the biker four benches to my right is going to limb me if he gets hit by just one more of my empties!
    Agreed! Especially the biker gang part......

You need to have confidence in a firearm or you will never shoot to its potential. If you feel it is extracting too hard and beating itself up it will affect your shooting. That part is real. Hard extraction having any effect on accuracy is another story.

This is just what I always heard though. If anyone can find anything saying otherwise I would love to know.
    Last edited by Delkal; March 13th, 2017 at 09:59 PM.

I bought a used Mini in 6.8 SPC about ten years ago. I've thought about selling it several times over the years thinking I'd build a 6.8 AR, but finally decided I was going to keep it. It's fairly accurate and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Needs a better stock, a trigger job and a barrel stabilizer. All of which I may do at some point. Not in any rush. The gun is what it is - an excellent ranch rifle / truck gun. It's never going to be an AR.

Embrace your Mini, damn it.... EMBRACE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Over at Forgottenweapons.com, Ian had interviewed one of the fellows who worked on the Mini 14. It was never designed to be as accurate as the AR15. Over time, the machining tolerances went out of wack at the factory. Several years ago, Ruger came out with the model with a shorter, thicker barrel. They had reinvested in new machinery to fix the tolerances issue.

The newer Mini 14 (with chubby barrel) is better, but still has accuracy issues. Possibly a replacement rifle would be getting an Ares SCR. This puts the "Fudd" type buttstock/lower on an AR upper. These seem to be hard to find, but look like they would make a nice 300 Blackout hunting rifle. But then, a simple 30-30 lever-action might be just as good.

If one wanted a 7.62x39 semi-auto, and accuracy was an issue, then possibly the SCR would be the answer (if wanting the Fudd style). For keeping cost down, an SKS would be cheaper (even at today's prices). For a overly complex gun, the AR15 in 7.62x39 would be okay (curved magazines for it suck).

Several issues with choices. Want that M1 Garand look? Ruger Mini. Accuracy & hunting hybrid look? Ares SCR. Middle of road accuracy, but rugged as hell? SKS. Military look? Maybe an AR15 style in Russian caliber. It's a choice of several things. I love the look of the Mini 14, but won't buy one because of the poor accuracy. I'll stick with the Marlin 30-30. Fairly light, idiot-proof, not scary looking, common here in Penna., and ballistics are about the same as the 7.62x39mm.

(York County)

I love my Mini-30 I put a scope on it and it will be in the woods this coming deer season.
    Every day's a Saturday

I wanted and should have bought a full auto. Forget it now, at 12k.

(York County)

That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I wanted and should have bought a full auto. Forget it now, at 12k.
    Every day's a Saturday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12