Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stippling

(Berks County)

Default Re: Stippling

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I had this gen 3 model 21 done at Coldbore Solutions in Texas. I know you're looking for someone local but it may be worthwhile to send it out. A bad stippling job can't be undone. That said, I've never had a stock Glock fall out of my hands. I had work done primarily to reduce the size of the grip which simply didn't fit my hand. Take the advice of the members that recommend trying sleeves or stick on grips first. They are inexpensive and can easily be removed.

Probibly the best looking moded frame I ever saw.

Its not that hard. I did my bodyguard .380

(Allegheny County)

I'm likely going to stipple the grip on this...

I don't give a crap about it's resale value.

There's a company that will take your CAV15 lower and do a custom "package" that includes undercutting the trigger guard and stippling the grip among other things.

(this)

I could get a rubber sleeve, but that would just look gay and would add bulk where I don't want it.
    No sense sending it out. I can take a file to the grip and undercut it myself. Stippling shouldn't be all that hard - I'm an artist and in the past I actually did stippled black ink illustrations. How hard can it be?

As for tearing up your hands, well just because a stipple job feels rough doesn't mean it has to stay rough. You can always lightly sand it to take off the "jaggy" points.
    I'm likely going to "paint" my stock as well, so that will help hide any imperfections in my stippling.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I run the talon gun grips on my pistols, but I have stippled my Benelli Nova, MKA1919 grip, and my AK grip. Works great and I will probably stipple the handguns next time the talon grip adhesive fails (good for like a season or two of 3 gun). It's quite easy to do. I use a Razertip woodburner because i have one for my other hobby.17098518_222730168199287_503175926237210071_n.jpg

(Allegheny County)

OmegaRed, I was freaking out in amazement trying to figure out HOW you made those "strips" with the rounded ends SO precise.
    Then I googled and found one photo that suggests that these lines were already there - you just followed along their edges.
    Even still, that's a really nice, clean job.

Maybe I should send my stuff to YOU. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

For those that may be contemplating a stipple job on a Glock, I just finished stippling the front and back strap only on a LEO trade-in G22 gen 3, that I picked up recently for $260+FFL fees.

It is my 1st attempt and it is far from artistic but it sure improves the "grippiness". I erased the finger grooves with a belt sander first, then went to work with my cheap Amazon wood burner. When compared to my Glock 22, gen 2 frame it feels substantially more stable in my hand.

I only did the front and back in case I ever decide to carry the modified frame IWB. After I get this puppy some range time, I may have another candidate or two for a session with "Stippler's Mother".

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Here we go,You want to stipple your gun,fine,but if the day comes and you want to re sell it the majority of buyers will shun the firearm.I found that Hougue slip on grips have worked on occasion depending on the grip of the particular firearm. MDT
    If you go by the standard most sellers seem to follow his Glock will be custom and double in value! LOL

(York County)

If You want to stipple, then stipple. It isn't hard or expensive...unless you don't practice. You can buy a wood burning iron or soldering iron with adjustable heat just about anywhere, but make sure you practice. I'm including a pic of my G31 which I did a stipple and grip reduction on ( as well as trigger guard contouring and undercutting the beavertail ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DClan; August 27th, 2018 at 09:27 PM.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Allegheny County)

I recently (couple of months ago now) picked up a used Gen 3 Glock 26 that had a grip reduction and stipple job on it. The gun was at Keystone Shooting Center and their policy is that you can rent a used gun to check it out, if you buy it; the rental fee comes off the price. I've never really liked the Gen 3 Glock 26 - the hump at the rear of the grip doesn't fit me, the Gen 4 is better; but not perfect. Gen 5 is pretty much the same as the 4 as far as I can tell by handling it at different shops, have not shot a Gen 5 26 yet though.

This gun felt GREAT in MY hands. I took it out to the range and within the first 5 rounds my wife told the RO, he's going to buy it. Sure enough, I did. First and only Glock 26 that I have ever liked. I've had a couple and my wife has 3 at this time. I REALLY like the grip reduction and stipple job, my wife even offered me one of her 26s to send down to ROBAR for a grip and stipple job if I want a spare one. Time will tell.

As far as stippling work,
    Robar, Bowie Tactical, Cold Bore Customs, and 5B Gunworx are who I would use... I don't know who did the work on the used 26 that I picked up, it looks like it might have been a Robar job - but I don't know for sure (Range staff didn't know either...)

Just my take...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Lackawanna County)

3 things with stippling yourself.

Practice on a piece of scrap

Use a adjustable iron with different tips.

Main thing is to not remove material with the iron but just move around

You can get a small needle scribe and some wax type paper or preferable sticky back paper and trace your pattern onto your area and go from there laying it out. Whole setup from Amazon 'iron to needle scibe is only about $30-40 on Amazon or eBay fyi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast