Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
I just swapped my Sig 220 with my Virginian Dragoon 357 for my go to HD pistol. It is just so accurate and I like the idea of having to cock the hammer as an added way to prevent a jumpy trigger finger if startled. I don't expect an all out gunfight with potential intruders so I feel adequately armed with six rounds. Does anyone else rely on a single action for defense? I also had a single shot 12 gauge at the ready but it has since been put back into the safe.
Each should use what he/she feels the most comfortable with. With a SA pistol the only caveat, in my opinion, is that when you do pull the hammer back that is a commitment to fire the gun. Most revolvers, whether the gun be DA or SA, have light triggers when the hammer is back and ready to go. If you do cock the gun, for example, and wound or kill an intruder your argument for use of the gun cannot be that it was an AD. That being said, if you assume a defensive position, a SA pistol would be fine. If you plan to aggressively sweep as a manner of HD then I would feel more prepared with a semi.

Good topic. Thanks.