Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: Does anyone use a single action revolver for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I just swapped my Sig 220 with my Virginian Dragoon 357 for my go to HD pistol. It is just so accurate and I like the idea of having to cock the hammer as an added way to prevent a jumpy trigger finger if startled. I don't expect an all out gunfight with potential intruders so I feel adequately armed with six rounds. Does anyone else rely on a single action for defense? I also had a single shot 12 gauge at the ready but it has since been put back into the safe.
    Each should use what he/she feels the most comfortable with. With a SA pistol the only caveat, in my opinion, is that when you do pull the hammer back that is a commitment to fire the gun. Most revolvers, whether the gun be DA or SA, have light triggers when the hammer is back and ready to go. If you do cock the gun, for example, and wound or kill an intruder your argument for use of the gun cannot be that it was an AD. That being said, if you assume a defensive position, a SA pistol would be fine. If you plan to aggressively sweep as a manner of HD then I would feel more prepared with a semi.

Good topic. Thanks.

Only when I have on my cowboy costume. Otherwise I use my Glock.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Nope, and neither should you.

If one must fight, fight to win. The primary philosophical question is.. why not use the most effective tool for the job? Considering that a home defense tool is a last ditch device to be used under grave circumstances that may involve multiple armed opponents, there is no convincing argument for a single action revolver. That may be the converse of this thread, yet it is an interesting question to pursue. What reason is there to use a single action revolver for home defense?

The intent here is not to ridicule or malign a choice. I am all for personal liberty. Instead, let's look at what may be the best tool for the job.

The scenario is also important and must be considered. If a raid is planned on an occupied dwelling (or a dwelling that can reasonably be expected to be occupied) it would be reasonable to expect that the Raider(s) are armed. The lawful occupant of the dwelling has a number of disadvantages before we start discussing choice of tools. Here is the short list:

Surprise! The raider has the element of surprise and that alone can overwhelm superior firepower. The raid comes at your opponents choice, when they are ready.

Violence of action! The type of people that would raid a possibly occupied home will most likely have no moral issue with killing armed or unarmed people. As a group, they are not law abiding and therefore very dangerous and unpredictable. You most likely are law abiding and very predictable. This is another advantage to the Raiders.

Just the above two advantages to possible Raiders places an event like the one we are discussing into the category of very difficult to overcome. Exploring this a bit deeper, why not have the most effective tools available considering that because of surprise and their potential violence of action one may already be losing?

I do not see a single argument of merit claiming that a single action revolver would be the most effective tool for the job. Furthermore, if there are others that dwell in said property that may rely upon you for protection one has a significant impetus to win and minimize loss. That outcome is more likely with the most effective tool for the job.

Are single action Revolvers cool, yup.
    Are single action Revolvers the most effective defensive tool available today, nope.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

OP here..... Here's the reason I swapped the two pistols and I'm afraid it has nothing to do with ten gallon hats or spurs. I was at the range the day I posted the opening thread. I usually bring one or two handguns and a rifle. This time I had a Yugoslavian AK underfolder and the 357 Dragoon. I was par for course with the 7.62 but couldn't miss with the revolver. Close range, long range (for me), slow shot and fast, I was on target with every pull of the single action only trigger. I was also practicing point and shoot and quick draw drills with similar results. The last time I had the 220 out I was shooting average at best. I truly believe that average defensive shooting is adequate for a realistic home invasion threat but I decided to swap the two pistols anyway after that successful range trip.

I'm not advocating single action weapons for defensive situations but simply stating that I feel comfortable relying on them and asking if anyone else does too.

I very well may have the 220 back in the gunvault within a few weeks, or it may be a Glock, Beretta or a double action revolver for that matter but for now it's a six shot Virginian Dragoon 357 with a 7 1/2 barrel and I feel adequately protected.
    Last edited by bripro; March 14th, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(York County)

Bripro,

You've given the exact reason why the classic single action still has its dedicated followers. Is it modern? Nope. Do you get the option of a tactical reload? Nope. But d*** they can shoot well.

Some years ago I took my wife on one of her rare outings to shoot. She is mostly indifferent to guns in general. She knows how to shoot, but doesn't care about shooting, though is very tolerant of my hobby.

We were at the Delta-Peachbottom Fish and Game pistol range. I had a couple of handguns, but she wanted to shoot my Uberti Single Action. She proceeded to riddle the black of the target at 50 feet. She had no prior experience with this gun, but pronounced it "fun".

Nearby was another guy with his son. They had something plastic and modern and a new in box 1911 clone. They were all over the paper with the modern piece and broke the link on their brand new 1911. Meanwhile wife went through several boxes of ammo with me, with the majority of hits in the scoring zone. We didn't have a single malfunction. We hit what we aimed for and had a fun day at the range.

Do I recommend the single action for home defense? No, but if I want to hit and put down my target I'll reach for one without hesitation. It is my carry gun for the woods and in berry season when I might encounter Mr. or Mrs. Bruin and I have no doubt it would work if a more two legged baddy is a problem as well.

(PS: I also own several 1911 pistols and love them as well. I won't knock them, just the guy in the story wasn't having a very good day with his guns.)
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; March 14th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Bripro,

You've given the exact reason why the classic single action still has its dedicated followers. Is it modern? Nope. Do you get the option of a tactical reload? Nope. But d*** they can shoot well.

Some years ago I took my wife on one of her rare outings to shoot. She is mostly indifferent to guns in general. She knows how to shoot, but doesn't care about shooting, though is very tolerant of my hobby.

We were at the Delta-Peachbottom Fish and Game pistol range. I had a couple of handguns, but she wanted to shoot my Uberti Single Action. She proceeded to riddle the black of the target at 50 feet. She had no prior experience with this gun, but pronounced it "fun".

Nearby was another guy with his son. They had something plastic and modern and a new in box 1911 clone. They were all over the paper with the modern piece and broke the link on their brand new 1911. Meanwhile wife went through several boxes of ammo with me, with the majority of hits in the scoring zone. We didn't have a single malfunction. We hit what we aimed for and had a fun day at the range.

Do I recommend the single action for home defense? No, but if I want to hit and put down my target I'll reach for one without hesitation. It is my carry gun for the woods and in berry season when I might encounter Mr. or Mrs. Bruin and I have no doubt it would work if a more two legged baddy is a problem as well.

(PS: I also own several 1911 pistols and love them as well. I won't knock them, just the guy in the story wasn't having a very good day with his guns.)
    Really appreciate your remarks. FWIW, women using a single action revolver can shoot. I know one...yes, she also knows how to sew on buttons on overcoats...

This was just with a different rifle (normally, she wins or places in all of 8 evolutions of BP pistol shooting):

Attachment 95143
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 14th, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Nope, and neither should you.

If one must fight, fight to win. The primary philosophical question is.. why not use the most effective tool for the job? Considering that a home defense tool is a last ditch device to be used under grave circumstances that may involve multiple armed opponents, there is no convincing argument for a single action revolver. That may be the converse of this thread, yet it is an interesting question to pursue. What reason is there to use a single action revolver for home defense?

The intent here is not to ridicule or malign a choice. I am all for personal liberty. Instead, let's look at what may be the best tool for the job.

The scenario is also important and must be considered. If a raid is planned on an occupied dwelling (or a dwelling that can reasonably be expected to be occupied) it would be reasonable to expect that the Raider(s) are armed. The lawful occupant of the dwelling has a number of disadvantages before we start discussing choice of tools. Here is the short list:

Surprise! The raider has the element of surprise and that alone can overwhelm superior firepower. The raid comes at your opponents choice, when they are ready.

Violence of action! The type of people that would raid a possibly occupied home will most likely have no moral issue with killing armed or unarmed people. As a group, they are not law abiding and therefore very dangerous and unpredictable. You most likely are law abiding and very predictable. This is another advantage to the Raiders.

Just the above two advantages to possible Raiders places an event like the one we are discussing into the category of very difficult to overcome. Exploring this a bit deeper, why not have the most effective tools available considering that because of surprise and their potential violence of action one may already be losing?

I do not see a single argument of merit claiming that a single action revolver would be the most effective tool for the job. Furthermore, if there are others that dwell in said property that may rely upon you for protection one has a significant impetus to win and minimize loss. That outcome is more likely with the most effective tool for the job.

Are single action Revolvers cool, yup.
    Are single action Revolvers the most effective defensive tool available today, nope.
    I think an acceptable reason to use a single action revolver is if that is the only gun you own. There are reasons that a person only has that type of gun. Still not the most effective tool for the job but it will be the most effective tool for the job available to that person.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

How fast can you cock and shoot accurate rounds on target. I've always assumed I would be putting at least 2 rounds center mass. Rifle or 12ga might be a different story.
    Lol, I didn't consider weight of the gun when picking my HD weapon. I'd rather not be beating them over the head.
    I can hear the Leo now, so why did you hit him 15 times? Hmmm?
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Bucks County)

I've noticed that home invasions can be comprised of three, four, and five bad guys. A single action six shooter, probably with the hammer kept on an empty chamber, presents a picture of unnecessarily handicapped to me. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I've noticed that home invasions can be comprised of three, four, and five bad guys. A single action six shooter, probably with the hammer kept on an empty chamber, presents a picture of unnecessarily handicapped to me. No thanks.
    Not to mention one or maybe a few might be carrying semi automatic weapons. The point in being prepared is to mitigate any potential handicaps not to intentionally create them.

I find the whole notion ridiculous especially if you own the proper tools for the job.

Just my .02

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast