Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Does anyone use a single action revolver for home defense?

My single floor frame on a slab home offers many opportunities to nail zombies lurking outside by simply shooting through my walls. I know a 125gr .357 S&W will do it, and my 125gr 357 Sig. Plus, once the hole is established, I can see what's going on at farther distances. If all that fails, I'll use my backup plan. I'll sic my wife on 'em.

A Single action revolver is better than no gun. It also has advantages over semi-auto pistols. One advantage is the very powerful cartridges SA revolvers can be chambered for. think .45 colt, .41 magnum, .44 magnum, and even .454 casull. Another advantage is the ergonomics. The plowhandle is very natural for pointing.

The disadvantage is forget about doing a reload. Also, rate of fire is reduced.

Here's a little personal story: One of the few times that I almost needed to clear leather was a time when I had a Ruger SuperBlackhawk loaded with 240 grain JHP .44 magnums. A large Rotweiler had gotten loose, and came into the path of me and my family (young daughter in a stroller). As my hand went on the plow handle of the .44 magnum, the owner called the dog back. My hand stayed on the revolver as we crossed the street. I felt complete confidence with my single action revolver that day. Had I had to draw and fire, I would have only had one shot to take as the dog charged. I'd rather that shot be a full-house .44 magnum, rather than a 9mm, .40, or even .45.

Single actions have their place.

(Monroe County)

I don’t currently own a single action revolver, but even if I did I would not use it as my HD firearm. For me personally, rather than wouldn’t I should say I couldn’t use a single action because…

-I am not proficient with the manual of arms
    -Since I have never been in such a stressful situation, I don’t know how my accuracy would be so I prefer to have a larger capacity firearm with a simpler and faster reload option.
    -No light mount for a night encounter which will tie up my free hand. I may need that hand to cock hammer faster (again not proficient with manual of arms), get a better grip for accuracy, communicate with my wife, check the surveillance system, etc.
    -I have smallish hands so most revolvers don’t fit my hand comfortably.
    -No option for suppressor. I would like to keep my hearing intact if possible.

Every option has their pros and cons and for ME the cons out weight the pros.

On a side note, SA revolvers are awesome, they always bring out the kid in me. It's definitly on my list.

(Bucks County)

I cannot agree the plow handle of a SAA type is a natural pointer. It has always felt awkward to me.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I just swapped my Sig 220 with my Virginian Dragoon 357 for my go to HD pistol. It is just so accurate and I like the idea of having to cock the hammer as an added way to prevent a jumpy trigger finger if startled. I don't expect an all out gunfight with potential intruders so I feel adequately armed with six rounds. Does anyone else rely on a single action for defense? I also had a single shot 12 gauge at the ready but it has since been put back into the safe.
    I have a Colt Single Action Army (.357) with a holster tied to my leg for quick draw in case it is needed. It pretty accurate with either .357 or .38's.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
    I have a Colt Single Action Army (.357) with a holster tied to my leg for quick draw in case it is needed. It pretty accurate with either .357 or .38's.
    Doesn't it get in the way when you roll over in bed at night?
    - bamboomaster

(Delaware County)

Yes and it is a .22 cal.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Luzerne County)

Yep. A Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt.
    I shoot it a lot.

Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I cannot agree the plow handle of a SAA type is a natural pointer. It has always felt awkward to me.
    I know others that feel this way as well, and there are aftermarket grips that can fix that. I had a Ruger Blackhawk that I installed a Hogue rubber grip on with finger groves. It helped a lot, but then I went back to the original grip, and just learned to deal with it. I have since sold the Ruger, as the barrel was just too damned long for my type of shooting, 7 1/2 inches, ugh! I bought a USFA SAA with a 4 5/8 barrel in .45 Colt. I would have no problem using that gun for home defense, but I will admit prefer a standard capacity 9MM semi auto, and AR-15 for that purpose.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I agree. I think semi autos point much better.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast