Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Selling Firearm Questions

Hello:
    Where to start ? I have been hunting since I was 12, that is 64 years ago. It has been a long time since I sold a firearm. Well, maybe not that long , I sold a S&W Model 66-4 about 2 years ago. I sold it to a PA. State Police Officer (locally). I made him go through a background check, I paid for that and also discounted the 66 since he was a Statie.

This one is gonna' break my heart. It is the only .270 I have kept. My son does not want it. Year purchased, late 60s early 70s. A Parker-Hale Super 1200
    Series Mauser Sporter. The serial #P-32470 may help get the date of manufacturing.

This .270 is a tack driver. The 1st time sighted in I was using Factory Federal 130s and after fine tuning I had two 3 shot groups that were one holers.

This gun has been hunted for over 40 years. All of my Whitetails starting in the 70s were harvested with this P-H except one. I got that one while driving with a Marlin Lever .35 Remington that I borrowed for the drive.

The gun has a few dings and shows it's been to battle, but overall it looks good and mechanically it is sound. I have a 4-12x40 Banner Bushnell riding on top that is close (my guess) to the age of the P-H .270.

After all of the above ramblings: How would you sell this Firearm and do you put a reserve on it. I am friggin' clueless ! I have zillion pictures including manuals, I will post one pic.

Thanks for your help. fossil
    Ps I am not looking for a killing, more like someone likes this version of this gun.Parker-Hale 014.JPG
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Selling Firearm Questions

Make a thread in the classifieds section?

If you are really feeling froggy... Make an ad on Armslist. I have sold all my firearms on Armslist. You also get the most scammers on Armslist

(Bucks County)

Id put it here first. Then go to Gunbroker if it didn't sell here, after a while.

(Berks County)

I am not familiar with this rifle, but I searched www.gunbroker.com for completed auctions using the words 'Parker-Hale Super 1200'. I only found one that sold here: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/608105107

A 7mm model that doesn't look as nice as yours. Ironically, it was sold by Tanners Sports Center in Jamison, PA.

Here is a list of others that did not sell: http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...00&Timeframe=1
    It actually appears that there are only 2 that were listed for sale multiple times.

Here are current Parker-Hale rifles for sale on the Gunbroker website: http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...ds=Parker-Hale
    Perhaps keep an eye on those to determine value for yours.

When you settle on a fair price, I'd suggest making a listing here to hopefully more easily sell in a face to face transaction.

(Indiana County)

You can post a classified here.
    It's not an auction so you need to know what you want for it and post the price.
    That's your best way to find someone local.

Or you can go Armslist which is plagued with scammers.

Or, you can go with GunBroker for an auction type sale but then you'll be into shipping.
    You can legally ship a long gun, even through USPS to a FFL (or another PA resident with conditions)
    This is where you can do a reserve.
    But be warned, many buyers pass over reserve auctions.
    I buy a couple guns a month, I never bother with reserve auctions.
    Either start the item out at your lowest possible price or roll the dice and be brave with a .01 no reserve auction (these types generate bidding wars quite often)

I'd figure out a price and post it here first to be honest.
    Just keep in mind that you are choosing the worst time of the year to sell a hunting rifle.
    If your price isn't a really good deal, at this time of year you may have difficulty.

Long gun sales in PA do not require a ffl transfer, handguns do (state police or not).
    Requiring a ffl transfer for a face to face sale will drive away potential buyers.

I believe it's in the classifieds, there is a sticky about buying and selling.

Good luck
    Last edited by 39flathead; March 11th, 2017 at 12:14 PM.

(Allegheny County)

All of the above.

I'd start by listing it here.

As mentioned, no transfer is required for long gun sales between PA residents.
    If you want to sell or give the rifle to a friend, relative, or any PA resident (so long as you do not believe them to be prohibited) you may do just that - no FFL transfer required.
    (handguns MUST be transferred vis FFL)

I would suggest requesting cash or a Unites States postal money order (as opposed to some random money order from a grocery store or such) as payment. Once payment is received, the buyer gets the rifle - in person, or via US mail. It may be a slight hassle mailing due to the need to obtain a box that is sturdy/long enough and some rules must be followed in order to mail a long gun (within PA) to another PA resident, but it IS legal to do so.
    Don't invite the buyer to your home - meet them in a public place.

I don't hunt, but if I did, I'd love to take possession of such a rifle with the promise of putting it to good use in such a role for many more years.

Good luck with the sale!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

I will agree pretty much with what the others here have said, start with a classified here on poofa, you have a good description and pictures so that is a excellent way to start. Check the prices that ESH has given you links for to get a real world price. Go for a face to face transfer locally as first choice. As the poofa guidelines note a PA drivers license insures a PA resident, a LTCF is good reason to believe not a prohibited person. I would feel free to start with on optomistic price at the beginning, and lowering it if you do not get a taker.

My dad had a Parker Hale back in the day, they are really fine guns. Good luck in your efforts. Feel free to ask more questions, there are many on here who can help.

(Lebanon County)

To Start: I called up esh21167 links. The prices I saw were FRIGGIN' crazy (high)----If I sold the P-H to a 16 year old starting out I could not in good conscience, hit that tyke with those numbers.

Gals & Guys: These forums are an absolute GOLDMINE of information, of which I am thankful. It supports, 'there are no dumb questions'. I will utilize all of this wisdom and others that pop on in.

I even get a bonus in POOFA. Starting this month I get to bore the POOFA Peeeeeeples with my Groundhog Hunting Videos. Most will be titled ' How to miss in one easy lesson, by fossil'!

Again, THANKS from fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; March 11th, 2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    To Start: I called up esh21167 links. The prices I saw were FRIGGIN' crazy (high)----If I sold the P-H to a 16 year old starting out I could not in good conscience, hit that tyke with those numbers.

Gals & Guys: These forums are an absolute GOLDMINE of information, of which I am thankful. It supports, 'there are no dumb questions'. I will utilize all of this wisdom and others that pop on in.

I even get a bonus in POOFA. Starting this month I get to bore the POOFA Peeeeeeples with my Groundhog Hunting Videos. Most will be titled ' How to miss in one easy lesson, by fossil'!

Again, THANKS from fossil
    Note those prices are the ones that didn't sell. That's exactly why I did post them. It's just as valuable to know what price not to ask, in addition to what is a fair asking price.

And I appreciate the video idea, but I've already mastered that task. (How to miss.)