Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Quick access gun safe....The GunBox or Hordady's RAPiD Safe

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious on your ideas about the new up and coming quick access safes with RFID capabilities. The two that I am thinking of are The GunBox (http://www.thegunbox.com/) and Hornady's Rapid Safe (http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe). The GunBox won't be available for about another month and I've read quite a few mixed reviews on Hornady's safe.

I really like the idea of using RFID to open the safes. What are your opinions on these safes? If you were to pick one, which would you and why?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

(York County)

Default Re: Quick access gun safe....The GunBox or Hordady's RAPiD Safe

These do look very nice. I like the Hornaday one just because I like the look of it better.

(Susquehanna County)

RFID is a no-no for me. Very simple to bypass, although I'm not sure common crooks keep a scanner and a programmer handy.

Did a RFID project in college, me and my buddy made a RFID door lock with a passive tag (no power, gets current to transmit from the reader). With some simple know how, you can easily bypass these.
    Stay armed my friends.

I'm with wrangler. You may not have the RFID when you need it.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Bucks County)

If you work for a living, NEVER go for the biometric 'fingerprint' reader. A tiny scratch on your finger can keep you from getting to your piece when you need it. My last job we had laptops with FP readers. The guys in the office loved it. The guys in the field HATED it. Like I said, if you work for a living, it won't work when you need it most.

(Montgomery County)

I didn't know that wrangler. Looks like when I decide to go for a quick access safe, it will probably be an old school push button one with the key as a backup.

Manx, I have a biometric one now and there are times when it takes a few times for it to read my finger. I've even tried registering a few different scans of my finger and I still have trouble sometimes. At least that's got the combo ability too.

(York County)

Simplex push button locks are the bomb, IMO. Strong, fast, effective, and require no batteries. I've had two of them for over 15 years and not a hiccup ever. You couldn't give me an electronic one.

(Monroe County)

I bought a battery operated push button safe at Walmart in 2001 for $70.00. I can fit 4 pistols in it and it opens fast! I've only changed the batteries maybe 3 times since I've had it and I use it a lot.

DAK Sport Safe

(Susquehanna County)

Using the scanner and programmer, I scanned his RFID tag and made a duplicate. Everytime he locked his doors, I'd unlock it as I passed the car.

He thought he broke the lock circuitry installing the RFID system, until I told him I duped it, then laughed and we pulled it out of his car.

I'm pretty sure we bought everything for less than $100 (passive tag, programmer, and reader).

The active tags are even easier to duplicate because they are always transmitting their code, some are even readable at > 500ft.
    Stay armed my friends.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    Using the scanner and programmer, I scanned his RFID tag and made a duplicate. Everytime he locked his doors, I'd unlock it as I passed the car.

He thought he broke the lock circuitry installing the RFID system, until I told him I duped it, then laughed and we pulled it out of his car.

I'm pretty sure we bought everything for less than $100 (passive tag, programmer, and reader).

The active tags are even easier to duplicate because they are always transmitting their code, some are even readable at > 500ft.
    That is unnerving to know that its that easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast