If this is the wrong subforum, I apologize. I'm hoping that some of the firearm attorneys see this and can weigh in. I, along with other dealers, are seeing a lot of denials lately due to people having convictions for DUI of drugs. What PICS is saying is that they violating Question 11e of the 4473, which is "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?" Even though someone may have gotten a DUI of drugs a year or so ago, they are still being denied a firearm purchase because they had a DUI of drugs.

The State Police have tried to charge people for lying on the 4473, specifically that particular question. However, luckily our District Attorney has enough sense to dismiss the cases. According to the DA, Question 11e is a "present tense question". Someone could have gotten a DUI of drugs a week ago and could be clean now so therefore Question 11e should still be answered "No".

I personally think that PICS is getting out of hand. You have people out there who should be permitted to purchase a firearm and now they can't. I've been told that PICS has even been denying challenges to denials based on this questions. And of course, these people can't afford an attorney to fight it. So now what? They can't have a firearm for the rest of their life because of one DUI?