Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizens Arrest

(Bradford County)

Question Citizens Arrest

Does any body know if a citizens arrest is legal in PA?? Does the type of crime matter, thinking Poaching..

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Citizens Arrest

My thoughts, no expertise at all.......

Forget it and don't try it. Cell phones are a required defense item, even
    more so than a weapon.

I have caused more criminals to be aprehended with my cell phone than I EVER expect to with my firearm.

In doubt or not, call the police. Don't try to do their job.

On the other hand, I would have no problem holding an attacker safely
    still till the police showed up. That might be the most prudent and safe
    response. It would not be an 'arrest' however.

(Philadelphia County)

I would stay far away from making a citizen's arrest, unless on your own property.

You just open yourself up for a whole lotta lawsuits.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

I will second the notion to not even bother. Call the cops.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Erie County)

A family friend that used to be a cop( fresh outta the academy but then got laid off due to budget cuts) told me that you can only make a citizens arrest for a felony. Didn't say anything about what class of felonies.

I know thats not worth much but that is what I have heard. I would just call the DCNR.

Citizens arrest of a someone who is hunting, IE carrying a gun, doesn't sound like the greatest idea......

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post

Citizens arrest of a someone who is hunting, IE carrying a gun, doesn't sound like the greatest idea......
    I agree completely. I think the best thing to do is speak firmly and warn them off. Definitely don't want to tangle with an armed person in the woods.
    I own guns!

(Allegheny County)

i agree. you dont want to mess with someone whos already doing something illegal....best bet is to call the cops or PAGC....if you really want to get them, find the offenders car and take the license plate number and make and model of the car....pagc will either catch them in the act or come knocking on their door.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    A family friend that used to be a cop( fresh outta the academy but then got laid off due to budget cuts) told me that you can only make a citizens arrest for a felony. Didn't say anything about what class of felonies.

I know thats not worth much but that is what I have heard. I would just call the DCNR.

Sorry to burst your friends bubble, but there is no such thing as a "citizens arrest" in PA.

Citizens arrest is a carry over from common law but things have changed a little since then.

(Adams County)

I was going to make a Citizen's Traffic stop once. I was going to write a Citizen's Speeding Ticket for a Citizen's Fine. Of course the proceeds would be placed in this Citizen's account for further funding of the Citizen's Weapons Program.

(Chester County)

A "citizen's arrest" is legal in Pennsylvania.

Actually, this very issue was recently reaffirmed by the Pa. Supreme Court. See Kopko v. Miller, 586 Pa. 170, 185 (Pa. 2006). The thing is, it only works for certain types of offenses (felony and other limited classes too complicated to get in to) personally witnessed by the citizen.

As an aside, there is a misconception about what an "arrest" actually is. An "arrest" is any "seizure" of a person. A person is "seized," in brief, whenever you're telling him that he can't leave. So, if someone tries to shoot you, you disarm him and hold him at gunpoint, while waiting for the Police to arrive, you've arrested him.

This is different from a formal or agency arrest (like the one that Steve would execute) where he formally takes the person into the custody of the institution and begins the process of filing formal charges. (I think this what your post means, Steve).

The distinction isn't really important -- the point is that you're technically "arresting" someone when you engage in the above behavior. You needn't say any nonsense about "I'm placing you under citizen's arrest" or any bullshit like that. Your actions create the end result of an arrest, basically.

(As a total random and unrelated "isn't it cool" sort of fact: Courts (I don't know whether in Pa.) regularly hold that a person may be prosecuted for resisting an arrest by a citizen, provided that the arrest itself is valid and executed in good faith.)

Relevant portions of the above referenced case follow (emphasis added by me):

-------

"We note that the power of Sheriffs to arrest for crimes committed in their presence is no different from that of a private citizen. In Commonwealth v. Chermansky, 430 Pa. 170, 242 A.2d 237, 239 (Pa. 1968), we reiterated that "a private person [***24] in fresh pursuit of one who has committed a felony may arrest without a warrant. And in Pennsylvania we have [**775] always followed the common law rule that if the felon flees and his arrest cannot be effected without killing him, the killing is justified." However, we narrowed the types of felonies for which the rule was applicable and held that:

from this date forward the use of deadly force by a private person in order to prevent the escape of one who has committed a felony or has joined or assisted in the commission of a felony is justified only if the felony committed is treason, murder, voluntary manslaughter, mayhem, arson, robbery, common law rape, common law burglary, kidnapping, assault with intent to murder, rape or rob, or a felony which normally causes or threatens death or great bodily harm.

Id.at 240. See Commonwealth v. Corley, 316 Pa. Super. 327, 462 A.2d 1374, 1379 (Pa. Super. 1993) ("we hold that a citizen's arrest can be made for a breach of the peace that is personally observed by the arrestor."), aff'd on other grounds, 507 Pa. 540, 491 A.2d 829, 834 (Pa. 1985) (declining to rule on the issue).
    -------
    Last edited by Rule10b5; February 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast