Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mass Arms

(Cumberland County)

Default Mass Arms

Ok, a long shot - but anyone know where to find very old shot gun parts. I got a very old Mass Arms single shot shotgun from my gunshop today - he saw it was made in Chicopee Falls Mass., one town over from where I grew up so held it for me It needs a trigger guard and a fore stock. Chances are slip to none of finding, but figured I'd give it a shot. I'll probably just keep checking the parts guys at gunshows!

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Mass Arms

Look up if its a hardware store brand gun, it might be from a name brand company but parts are probably going to be pretty impossible. Neither of those parts would be hard to make, you could even do an old school wire wrap to hold on the fore end.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks. I looked it up and Mass Arms was founded by Stevens along with Dan Wesson and Mr. Sharpe's - pretty heavy hitters later in life I believe the guns were actually made in the Stevens Factory but for hardware stores as you mentioned so they used Mass arms ? And the whole fore stock is missing - lol. Think my best bet will be to cruise the parts guys at gunshows - starting next week with my favorite Harrisburg show !

(Monroe County)

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Schematics.htm

Parts search is on the left. Mass is not a choice Stevens might cover it with out knowing more.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Clarion County)

Any markings, numbers on the barrel or receiver?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Centre County)

You can also check with Jack First out of SD, they carry a lot of old gun parts. gunpartscorp.com has a cross reference for old private labeled guns of all types but with what you said, look for an old Stevens that looks like yours, the parts are probably interchangeable.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I believe the guns were actually made in the Stevens Factory but for hardware stores as you mentioned so they used Mass arms ? And the whole fore stock is missing - lol. Think my best bet will be to cruise the parts guys at gunshows - starting next week with my favorite Harrisburg show !
    There are dozens of different hardware store trade names out there. I don't know if Mass arms is one or not, but there are lists out there that say which company made each different hardware store brand. How does the fore end attache to the barrel? Is there a hole for a screw or is it a pressure fit?

(Lackawanna County)

Depending on age of shotgun, start here.

Production continued until the factory closed permanently during the Great Depression.

The Massachusetts Arms Company name was retained by Stevens and later used as a trade name for firearms produced for sale at the Blish, Mize and Silliman Hardware Company of Atchison, Kansas.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks - I use Numerich all the time - just have to start searching Stevens now to try to find a like shotgun and then see if they have parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Schematics.htm

Parts search is on the left. Mass is not a choice Stevens might cover it with out knowing more.

(Cumberland County)

I'm thinking it's a Steven's model 100. It appears to be close. The trigger guard looks identical, and the fore stock looks like a match. Only problem I see is the fore stock attaches with a screw 0 and it looks like it might have been a post ? there is a recessed hole where a screw or post should be on the barrel. Seeing it will just be a hanger - I'll probably get the trigger guard and fore stock, and jerry rig the stock on somehow. Thanks all...............