Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Exclamation FYI...HK VP9 now uses VP40 Recoil Spring!

Just wanted to give you guy's a head's up. The HK VP9 is now being assembled with the VP40 recoil spring. You can tell which spring you have by its color: red spring = original 9mm spring, silver/normal spring = .40S&W spring. I just bought a new grey HK VP9. I shot it right away without cleaning it first and used 115 grain reloads I bought online. I put 100 rounds through it and had multiple FTFs and FTEs - it jammed about once every 5 rounds. When I got home I did a little research and found out about the new recoil springs. Internet operators stated storing the firearm with the slide lock back and racking the slide multiple times at home helps break it in a little bit. It was also highly suggested to break it in with 124 grain NATO and 147 grain ammo.

I cleaned my firearm after its first range visit and returned to the range today. I put 25 rounds of Hornady 124 grain +p XTP through it without any issues. The gun performed flawlessly with that ammo. I then put 50 rounds of Winchester white box 147 grain HPs through it. It fired all 50 rounds without any failures. I then shot 25 rounds of the 115 grain reloads I bought online. I had 3-4 FTF and FTEs using that ammo, but it wasn't as bad as my first range trip. I ordered 500 rounds of Winchester 124 NATO to keep breaking in the pistol. I just wanted to give you guy's a heads up in case you run into the same problem.

Also, when I do start carrying the pistol, I plan on carrying Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P. Of course I will run a box of that stuff through it for testing prior to carrying.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Bucks County)

Default Re: FYI...HK VP9 now uses VP40 Recoil Spring!

Boy, can't imagine law enforcement or military risking carrying that gun.

(Monroe County)

Out of curiosity, were there problems with the older vp9s that were using the red springs? I only ever hear good things about the vp9.

If your interested in the old red springs, looks like they are still available. https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Reco...-367p16821.htm

may be cheaper than breaking in your new spring with expensive ammo.

(Allegheny County)

I have an old spring VP9 (from around September of 2014) that has had no issues whatsoever. I don't shoot it much anymore though... HK's USP and Mark 23 line up are really where it's at...

(Chester County)

Just ran 100 rounds of 124 grain Nato with no issues.

(Montgomery County)

The only issue I've had with the original vp9 spring was shooting suppressed using 147 grain subsonic ammo. I had one failure to return to battery out of about 120 rounds. Gave the slide a little bump and it fired the rest flawlessly. I've had no other issues with any other type of ammo, suppressed or not. I think they are using the vp40 spring in the vp9 tactical to assist the slide returning while running suppressed. I just have the plain Jane version with a threaded barrel, so dunno if it makes a difference or not.

(Chester County)

Just ran another 150 rounds of 124 grain NATO without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Just wanted to give you guy's a head's up. The HK VP9 is now being assembled with the VP40 recoil spring. You can tell which spring you have by its color: red spring = original 9mm spring, silver/normal spring = .40S&W spring. I just bought a new grey HK VP9. I shot it right away without cleaning it first and used 115 grain reloads I bought online. I put 100 rounds through it and had multiple FTFs and FTEs - it jammed about once every 5 rounds. When I got home I did a little research and found out about the new recoil springs. Internet operators stated storing the firearm with the slide lock back and racking the slide multiple times at home helps break it in a little bit. It was also highly suggested to break it in with 124 grain NATO and 147 grain ammo.

I cleaned my firearm after its first range visit and returned to the range today. I put 25 rounds of Hornady 124 grain +p XTP through it without any issues. The gun performed flawlessly with that ammo. I then put 50 rounds of Winchester white box 147 grain HPs through it. It fired all 50 rounds without any failures. I then shot 25 rounds of the 115 grain reloads I bought online. I had 3-4 FTF and FTEs using that ammo, but it wasn't as bad as my first range trip. I ordered 500 rounds of Winchester 124 NATO to keep breaking in the pistol. I just wanted to give you guy's a heads up in case you run into the same problem.

Also, when I do start carrying the pistol, I plan on carrying Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +P. Of course I will run a box of that stuff through it for testing prior to carrying.
    That would be the same advice and procedure I performed on every one of my HKs when they were purchased brand new. Always worked well for me.

As for the change, probably to eliminate one more different part.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    That would be the same advice and procedure I performed on every one of my HKs when they were purchased brand new. Always worked well for me.
    It definitely feels smoother. I just ordered an Alien Gear Cloak 3.0 iwb holster for it. Next week I'll run 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain +p through it. If there are no issues, then I'll add it to my carry rotation.

(Bucks County)

Test a lot of critical duty rounds... my VP9 didn't like them but did well with Critical Defense. I'm going to switch to 147gr HSTs though...
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast