Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Overzealous Ohio Township Police

Tonight I got done working at the grocery store where I've worked since last August. I punched out at 9:00pm, bought and paid for 2 gallons of wáter, bought two scratch-off tickets, and went to my car. I put the two gallons in the trunk, then got in the car, started it, and then started doing my scratchoffs. After I put second ticket down and prepared to leave, I also brought my small 9mm out from under the seat and put it between the seats for easy access. Then out of the blue I hear a rap on my window and there's a flashlight shining on me and in my car. I saw figure of a man in uniform, but no insignia or badge was obvious in the dark. There were other cars around and I wasn't alone. I slowly opened my door, reasonably sure this was a cop. He had pretty much snuck up on me, and the knock on the window was fast and obviously instended to surprise me. I slowly opened the door trying to look directly into this person's face. Then I saw his car parked a few spaces away. He then asked me very politely if everything was ok, and if I "just worked there and had just got off". Yes I do and yes I did, I replied, trying to remain polite myself. He backed away very quickly and bid me goodnight. The truth is he was never authoritative or obnoxious in any way...other than the startling rap on my window and the light in my face. But this seemed like a very unprovoked inquirí, as I had done absolutely NOTHING out of the ordinary to attract this young cop's attention. Seriously! Walking to your car with two jugs of wáter and a store-logoed bag and putting it in your trunk, and then starting your car and playing the lottery while it warms up is suspicious activity????

I have to ask, would anyone here consider lodging a formal complaint against this officer, or his department in general? The Ohio Twp pólice regularly patrol this lot, and I believe there are plenty of drug deals that go on in the parking lot, as it would obviously be a good place to meet. I've already seen one person arrested there. It could be he was looking for someone, but I sense that this type of impromptu random inquirí may go on here somewhat frequently, and I plan on asking ALL my coworkers if they've ever experienced this before. I've got a good mind to then lodge a formal complaint about people being approached in this way, complete with confirmation that this happens frequently already. I hesitate to say the officer was completely unprofessional, but this type of thing is unethical in my opinión, and I would hope many would agree with me. What should I do? What would you do? Would you consider making a complaint in writing, perhaps even to the sheriff, rather than the Ohio Twp dept? I just feel that cops shouldn't be rapping on windows and startling innocent shoppers and workers at local supermarkets with flashlights in the face and loud knocking without a circumstantial reason.

Another thing that really concerns me is, what if he saw my gun? I mean, it was between the seats, not in plain view....but if he was staring there he probably could have seen it and I'm kind of concerned what would happen then. Already they're showing signs of being overzealous in how they patrol and approach people, and I'm wondering if this could be of concern for those of us who concealed carry. I almost don't feel comfortable carrying around cops who have ants in their pants, if you know what I mean.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Overzealous Ohio Township Police

Maybe he thought you were getting ready to burn one.

(Butler County)

>Maybe he thought you were getting ready to burn one<

Funny!

But I don't think walking to one's car with groceries implies you're getting ready to smoke a spleef!

You wanna know the truth?
    I had grabbed a single can of beer and was drinking it right there while the car warmed up. Yes, I know...kind of dumb....but the stupid young f%$ker didn't even seem to see it OR the gun! If you ask me he was pretty amateur and I think I've seen his boyish young mug around there before. I'd say he was maybe pushing 30...which means I've got about 15 years on him....which is why I'm thinking of targeting him next time...with MY flashlight right on his badge number and a firm but polite request to PLEASE STOP REPEATEDLY BANGING ON MY WINDOW after a long hard day in front of the butcher block, or maybe his superior would hear about it. And I plan to say it just loud enough for witness to hear (but I'll definately make sure I don't have an open beer). Or maybe that's a dumb idea. I don't know... I don't have this sort of thing happen very often, but I can tell you that I think people need to carefully find a way to put cops in their place when they start riding the badge a little too much.

Maybe he DID see the beer and was checking me out because of that....but why not get me for an open container??? He really backed off in a hurry.
    Hm! Maybe it was BECAUSE he saw the 9mm! (just kidding)
    Last edited by FJW; February 10th, 2015 at 11:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

So you are mad because the cop tapped on your window while you were sitting in the Camp Horne Giant Eagle Parking Lot... with an open container of beer in your car... and since you work at the Giant Eagle in the town he works for he says take care and leaves you alone.

First off... a cop can walk up to anyone and tap on their window. YOU chose to talk to him yet you want to complain...he didn't motherfuck you.. didn't hit you.. didn't pat you down or search your car.

You do realize you work at one of the most popular places in the North Hills for junkies to stop to shoot up? Also one of the more popular places for junkies to steal razor blades and diabetic test kits and strips.. poor kid was just checking on some guy sitting in a car at 9pm with his head down..probably parked in some odd part of the parking lot like employees do....

And he said...take it easy..

(Butler County)

Ohhh... well I see quickly where you're going with this.

I think cops should be discouraged from running up to random people and banging on their windows at a place of business when NOTHING they have done or are doing would invite it. I don't care if I WAS drinking a beer. I was very discrete about it, and you'd have to be watching me like a hawk to see it... so I doubt that's why he got out and did what he did. I think he was just an overzealous young man, really, trying to justify his paycheck and his badge. Probably was hopeful that his imagination would somehow prevail.

And I'm going to be asking everyone I work with if they've seen or experienced this before. If I have to start being squeaky clean and keep from opening that beer and keep my gun under the seat in a holster until I get moving, SO BE IT, if it means that I can get it through to the Ohio Twp Pólice Dept that the public doesn't appreciate having the baby thrown out with the bathwater in the name of protection. That's really the way I feel and I'm not a boatrocker by nature, but this young dude rocked my boat tonight and I'm not too happy about it, nor do I feel that cops should behave this way and expect to remain in the public's approval.

(Wyoming County)

I must be missing something here? Sounds to me like a mere encounter? Are you mad because he startled you? Maybe you got a lesson in situational awareness instead of being car-jacked? I still don't get it.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

Why would anyone complain about a police officer doing his job at a store at closing time. My wife worked at a store and was very glad when the local police stopped by. The store she worked at was in a rural area with very little crime but she was always happy to see a cruiser around. It sound like this officer made a normal inquiry.

Nothing I would raise a fuss about. For all you know the owner of property wants the cops to come around the lots.

(Allegheny County)

Seems he was doing his job, but lucky for you he didn't do it a little better and bust you drinking while sitting in your car with it running. I'd consider yourself lucky and leave it at that.

Where in the op's story does it say anything about an open container of beer?

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast