Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Warren County)

Default Re: Quick question on legality of "holding guns" for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    Fixed it for you - You don't have to sell them, you just have to transfer ownership at FFL (Handguns).
    But again, you run into the same problem as if you gave the title to your Mercedes to Sumdood Itrust AFTER receiving the divorce papers.
    I suspect that they will be considered as assets regardless of what you do with them or how much you 'sell' them for.
    IANAL
    DOUBT IT. You "FIXING" my text changed the meaning.

When I sell something, it's gone. I got cash in exchange and the bill of sale will reflect that and here's the money and if person X don't like it, Tough.

Sold is sold, not hidden.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    DOUBT IT. You "FIXING" my text changed the meaning.

When I sell something, it's gone. I got cash in exchange and the bill of sale will reflect that and here's the money and if person X don't like it, Tough.

Sold is sold, not hidden.
    If person X is a judge it can be tough, very tough.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(York County)

My gun 'collection' is so small and so insignificant in terms of overall marital property (e.g. the house, the cars, accounts, etc.) that I wouldn't do a darn thing about 'em. She's got her guns, I've got mine, they're probably about equal in value, she keeps hers, I keep mine, not worth fighting over. Others with more extensive/valuable guns may not have that same luxury, but in a divorce 'hiding the guns' is about the last thing I'd worry about.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Consignment and holding/storing guns for a person are two completely different things and I still don't think an LGS would want to get involved, I know I wouldn't.
    Oh, I quite agree. But I think you may have missed my point.

You don't TELL the LGS that you want them to "hold" your stuff by keeping it on consignment with a high price. You simply go put it on consignment with a high price.

Not that I recommend this (see my first post in the thread). I was simply pointing out that there is a way to get your LGS to "hold" your guns, without looping them in to what is going on.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    My gun 'collection' is so small and so insignificant in terms of overall marital property (e.g. the house, the cars, accounts, etc.) that I wouldn't do a darn thing about 'em. She's got her guns, I've got mine, they're probably about equal in value, she keeps hers, I keep mine, not worth fighting over. Others with more extensive/valuable guns may not have that same luxury, but in a divorce 'hiding the guns' is about the last thing I'd worry about.
    In a divorce, everything is worth fighting over. The attorneys involved will make sure it is. And if you lied once in your testimony, everything you say truthfully after the lie will be painted with the same brush.

Knew someone whose X (twice married before), remarried, had a son with this fellow, a divorce initiated by the X nine months later, and went through 10 different attorneys until she got her pound of flesh: $2M property settlement and $5K per month for child support for the infant son who is now 18. And all she initially wanted until the atty's hooked in to her was a Prada purse ($6K), her credit cards paid off ($60K), and her home mortgage paid off (around $180K at the time).

The fellow I knew thought this was nutz - and ended up paying over 10x as much - plus the $580K in legal fees because while she was a professional (not quite an MD, but close) - she worked her best angle at appearing poor - just charged up her credit cards...

Beware of folks that say "I want to be supported by the courts in the manner to which I have been accustomed". FWIW, I don't think they'd say this on a first date, but you'll find out when the divorce papers are filed.

Yes, she's still around - had an FBI boy friend during the divorce who pulled up records on her behalf. Be careful where your secondary relationships may be concerned if you are sufficiently stupid to have them.

Oh, she did take/steal many of his rifles long before the divorce was settled - and sold them through a local auction company. The listings were easy to recognize - when do you ever see a blued Kentucky rifle with lots of bling made by a machinist?
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 9th, 2017 at 07:31 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    So the other side's lawyer explains to the judge that the 4 Glock pistols on consignment at $800 each is now $3200 in unclaimed assets, to be put on the tally sheet.
    Make sure they all go on "her" side, with $3200 in cash on "your" side to even it out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123