Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sear spring

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: sear spring

Thanks. Old gun, previous owner had no info.. I took a spring out of an old beater IIIA I have and still would not work so not the spring. Guy on Spanish Gun board said the prong on the back of the grip safety might have been messed with too. He said a lot of folks don't like the grip safety and do their own gunsmithing to disable Next step, I'll try the beater grip safety in this gun and see what happens.

Well, update, just put the beater grip safety into this gun and no change, still fires regardless if safety is depressed or not. Changed sear spring, changed grip safety, and still fires no matter what - what can I be missing ??!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Gun purchased new or used? If new, contact CS of factory. If used, try to figure out what previous owner did to "improve it".
    Last edited by cruzans; March 19th, 2017 at 07:45 PM.

(Bucks County)

OK. I'm thinking someone may have performed a "trigger job" and the engaging surfaces are shortened. For sake of illustration, say the sear/hammer full cock engaging ledges are a 1/2 inch deep and are now 1/8 inch deep. Normally the grip safety would come into play on 1/2 inch ledges, but cannot mechanically interfere with the travel of 1/8 inch ledges. Of course, the dimensions are exaggerated, to foster following the theory. Just a guess.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks. As I looking into the mag wall as I work the grip safety, it seems like the leg on the back of the grip safety is just a tad short. When the grip safety is depressed, you can see everything drop out of the way as it should, but the trigger fires before it drops because it is a tad short - if that makes sense ?

OK. I'm thinking someone may have performed a "trigger job" and the engaging surfaces are shortened. For sake of illustration, say the sear/hammer full cock engaging ledges are a 1/2 inch deep and are now 1/8 inch deep. Normally the grip safety would come into play on 1/2 inch ledges, but cannot mechanically interfere with the travel of 1/8 inch ledges. Of course, the dimensions are exaggerated, to foster following the theory. Just a guess.

(Lehigh County)

Check this out:

From this web site: https://animagraffs.com/how-a-handgun-works-1911-45/

(Bucks County)

Well, you've tried two different grip safeties, so maybe check out the trigger bow's engaging surface for incorrect dimension. Have you tried the suggestion to remove the grip panels? Also, check the devices that preclude out-of-battery discharge. I'd be concerned that has been compromised as well. Check the feed ramp for over-zealous polishing, leaving the cartridge insufficiently supported. I think there is a lot to look for in that pistol.

(Cumberland County)

Good one - thanks. Right where the tip of the grip safety leg rests near the back of the trigger - mine has just enough extra space where the trigger will fire before it hits the tip if safety is not dis-engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Check this out:

From this web site: https://animagraffs.com/how-a-handgun-works-1911-45/
    Last edited by cruzans; March 21st, 2017 at 08:47 PM.

(Cumberland County)

For sure. I sent a picture of the trigger to a Spanish Gun guru on the Spanish Pistol board and he said it looked good. For yuk, yuks - here it is :

Well, you've tried two different grip safeties, so maybe check out the trigger bow's engaging surface for incorrect dimension. Have you tried the suggestion to remove the grip panels? Also, check the devices that preclude out-of-battery discharge. I'd be concerned that has been compromised as well. Check the feed ramp for over-zealous polishing, leaving the cartridge insufficiently supported. I think there is a lot to look for in that pistol.

(Bucks County)

Spanish pistol??? My God, man....you've had your answer all along. Do you enjoy spinning others' wheels?

ETA: Just kidding.
    Last edited by Bang; March 22nd, 2017 at 12:29 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Haters gotta hate. No badmouthing my Llama babies

Spanish pistol??? My God, man....you've had your answer all along. Do you enjoy spinning others' wheels?

ETA: Just kidding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12