Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Chronograph Project

Wasn't sure where to post this. I forget where I saw this done in the past as it's not my original idea. Put this together last weekend quickly with free materials laying around. My Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph sits behind it and is completely protected from muzzle bast and stray bullets.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Chronograph Project

Nicely done - that ought to keep you from shooting through it...
    - bamboomaster

(Bucks County)

I'm not sure what I'm seeing there.

Is that a steel plate welded to the frame?

Have you tested it to see what happens when a "stray bullet" hits it? Where does the deflected bullet go?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm seeing there.

Is that a steel plate welded to the frame?

Have you tested it to see what happens when a "stray bullet" hits it? Where does the deflected bullet go?

Not into the chronograph, duh.

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Not into the chronograph, duh.

Yeah, I see that is the intent. Save the chrony - always a good notion.

But work with me here... Envision a rifle round moving at, say, 2800 fps hitting the steel plate at a 45 degree angle about 10 to 15 feet from the muzzle. The bullet (or fragments thereof) launch skyward. Hopefully nothing splashes back at the shooter. Steel plates are funny that way.

Is the end result much different from firing straight up? Are any squirrels harmed in the process? Anybody have a bullet land on their head at the next bench? Just asking the questions the prosecutor will likely pose.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Yeah, I see that is the intent. Save the chrony - always a good notion.

But work with me here... Envision a rifle round moving at, say, 2800 fps hitting the steel plate at a 45 degree angle about 10 to 15 feet from the muzzle. The bullet (or fragments thereof) launch skyward. Hopefully nothing splashes back at the shooter. Steel plates are funny that way.

Is the end result much different from firing straight up? Are any squirrels harmed in the process? Anybody have a bullet land on their head at the next bench? Just asking the questions the prosecutor will likely pose.
    I knew what you were getting at. It wouldn't be PAFOA without a stupid comment, so I took my turn.

I do agree that throwing the bullet into the air is a bad idea.

- OP -
    All around it's not a bad job. It will obviously do what it is intended to do; we just don't want to see someone get an injury that could be easily prevented by making some changes to the design.

I would suggest angling the plate downward and to one side or the other. Down for obvious reasons, to the side to protect the tripod legs. Possibly make the side changeable based on the range so the side angle can be set to throw the bullet into a side berm.

Even though it is not a target, I think it should be treated as such in the event that it DOES get hit. Take a look at the link below for some pointers - specifically the geometry and angle of the "splatter".
    http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/03/10...steel-targets/

Be safe.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the suggestions and concerns. You're right a 15-20 degree down angle would be better. I just did it up like I remember seeing one done online that I can't find now. I shoot a lot of steel so I should have probably seen the design flaw...I'll blame the lack of time and sleep due to two kids under 6. I'll try to find time for a redesign and post an update when that happens.

(Lackawanna County)

How do you read the output in real time? Are you using their Bluetooth gizmo

(Berks County)

I just got the bluetooth device and haven't tried it yet...kinda why I built the armor so I didn't shoot that or the chrony or both. I used to use the computer cable but that got old dragging the computer with every time. I had cabelas gift cards from the holidays to use so the bluetooth thing was free for me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by awfroadan View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and concerns. You're right a 15-20 degree down angle would be better. I just did it up like I remember seeing one done online that I can't find now. I shoot a lot of steel so I should have probably seen the design flaw...I'll blame the lack of time and sleep due to two kids under 6. I'll try to find time for a redesign and post an update when that happens.
    You definite get a pass for having two kids under six. Those years were a blank for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast