Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default price for 308 brass

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1723170

Is this a good price for 308 brass considering its random?

Been looking around at 308 brass and the price seems to vary substantially.

A local said he had 100 once fired he was selling for $30. Sounds steep to me. AFAIK it's nothing special. Random range brass.
    I have no idea if it is once fired or not.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: price for 308 brass

Going price for once fired Mil brass is about $120 on 1k.

New Starline brass is $376 per 1k with free shipping buying it direct

I checked the link. That's Top Brass recon'd brass. Seems pricey to me but I like to do my own case prep. In the grand scheme of things they are charging you roughly $60 for the prep on 500 cases. You make the call if the prep work is worth your money.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; March 12th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1723170

Is this a good price for 308 brass considering its random?

Been looking around at 308 brass and the price seems to vary substantially.

A local said he had 100 once fired he was selling for $30. Sounds steep to me. AFAIK it's nothing special. Random range brass.
    I have no idea if it is once fired or not.
    Here's an auction for around 500 lbs of once-fired 7.62. The current bid is $257 with around two days to go in the auction:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ionId=11925555

You may need a cement mixer just to manage the tumbling...
    - bamboomaster

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Here's an auction for around 500 lbs of once-fired 7.62. The current bid is $257 with around two days to go in the auction:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...ionId=11925555

You may need a cement mixer just to manage the tumbling...
    That's how I tumble my brass. I think I paid $299 for my mixer from Lowes.

So far in 3 years of business I've purchased about 10,000lbs of brass from Gov Liquidation.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

If you are not using it for benchrest, and don't have the need for wholesale quantities, once fired .308 military brass is a good deal from Monmouth Reloading. $113.89 per 1,000: http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/lake-city-762/

I've bought their .223 brass, both cleaned and unprocessed, and am very happy with their quality and service.

(Tioga County)

Yeah I think that is a decent price for processed brass, 12 cents a case. Often people pay 10 cents a case for dirty unprepped brass.

Well I will tell you this, I would never buy unprepped mil brass range pickups again. Back in Sept 2015 I bought 1000 7.62 NATO cases of filthy range brass. This was supposed to be an easy project for the winter. Never again. As I discovered it had all been likely fired through a machine gun as the brass has stretched out to 2.030-2.035(after resizing).

So in the end, first it was an effort to clean it. Then I had to resize it, which was not fun. Then I had to trim it and because it was so long I wore out a trimmer blade and my fingers. That took forever. Then I had to check each case with a paperclip and found some with weak spots near the web(common problem with machine gun fired brass). Then it was on to removing the primer crimp and chamfering and deburring each case and then back to a final clean cycle with stainless steel pins. I finally finished all of that crap in June 2016 after 9 months. Then another 3 months were I finished loading powder and bullet with a quality control check.

So finally after a year of work I got 900 and some cases loaded. Never again. I will pay the extra $40-$80 and get brass like Top Brass above. Let them do all the work. In the end it took me so long to finish this project it jammed up reloading of other calibers and I am way behind now.

^^^^Good insight for a newb like me^^^^^^
    Actually pre-newb. Just researching.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    ^^^^Good insight for a newb like me^^^^^^
    Actually pre-newb. Just researching.
    Yeah I thought it would be a fun project buying the beat up mil brass, but I was dead wrong. I'd say one of the biggest issues was having to do the excessive trimming. Most of the time we have to trim a few thousandths but here I was doing 25 to 30 thousandths and it was a total drag. Never again.

I say let companies like Top Brass and their automated machines do all the heavy lifting even if it means paying double. In the end it wasn't worth the $100-$150 in savings for the amount of time it took to rehab mil brass.

In the end the best thing to do is to buy factory ammo with the brass you want, shoot it up and then that is your supply of brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Yeah I thought it would be a fun project buying the beat up mil brass, but I was dead wrong. I'd say one of the biggest issues was having to do the excessive trimming. Most of the time we have to trim a few thousandths but here I was doing 25 to 30 thousandths and it was a total drag. Never again.

I say let companies like Top Brass and their automated machines do all the heavy lifting even if it means paying double. In the end it wasn't worth the $100-$150 in savings for the amount of time it took to rehab mil brass.

In the end the best thing to do is to buy factory ammo with the brass you want, shoot it up and then that is your supply of brass.
    That's for true! I use a Lyman case prep center (primer pocket reamer, pocket uniformer, pocket cleaner, inside & outside deburring) and a Trim-It case trimmer, which is a huge improvement over doing it by hand. Still, it gets old real fast when you have hundreds of cases to prep.

Nevertheless, it is worth getting at least 100 unprocessed cases to prep yourself just to get familiar with the steps necessary to prepare brass for loading. It helps to understand how to achieve the SAAMI specs of rough brass, and to correct problems you encounter. I've talked with guys at the range who had problems with their reloads to function, but had no idea why the brass didn't fit.

(Northampton County)

I got 1K from Brassbombers.com. Dirty as hell but cleaned up well in my Wet tumbler. Didn't have to trim anywhere as much as Wanneroo though. Brass prep is a pain with cleaning, crimp removal, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburing, sizing and whatever other steps you may do.

Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast